Water cooling dual r9 290x

I have the 955 BE at 4.8ghz and been there forever with no problems! But the exact crashing you mentioned happens all the time.

Instructions for frustration management:  

1) Sit at desk.   2) Repeatedly slam forehead against desk.

I never said I was smart, just smart enough to be dangerous.

ORLY?

……..'|:::::::,': : : : : : :_„„-: : : : : : : : ~--„_: |'
………|::::::|: : : „--~~'''~~''''''''-„…_..„~''''''''''''¯|
………|:::::,':_„„-|: : :_„---~: : :|''¯¯''''|: ~---„_: ||
……..,~-,_/'': : : |:    ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) : |: : : :|:  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)): \..|
……../,'-,: : : : : ''-,_______,-'': : : : ''-„_____|
……..\: :|: : : : : : : : : : : : : :„: : : : :-,: : : : : : : ?
………',:': : : : : : : : : : : : :,-'__: : : :_',: : : : ;: ,'
……….'-,-': : : : : :___„-: : :'': : ¯''~~'': ': : ~--|'
………….|: ,: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :: :
………….'|: \: : : : : : : : -,„_„„-~~--~--„_: :: |
…………..|: \: : : : : : : : : : : :-------~: : : : : |
You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

- credit to, @Cinnabar Sonar

I would advise against AMD CPUs when doing multi-GPU. Even the frankly ridiculous FX9590 (and 8350/8320 binned to OC to =<5GHz) starts to present bottleneck for a single 970/290/390, let alone a single 290X, even more so with 2.

Here's an example with the FX6300 (a titan X is technically weaker than a pair of 290Xs)

A single 290X should be easily capable of running GTA V at 50+FPS on max/near-max settings (at 1080p, possibly 1440p as well), provided it is pared with a decent CPU (my 970 is entirely capable of it since the CPU (4690K) can keep up).

As such, if you haven't already purchased your GPUs I might advise spending some extra cash in the CPU department, something like an i5 6600K or i7 6700K. Or if you're dead set on AMD, grab the 8320 and hope to hell Zen lives up to it's expectation.

Please stop posting this, he fucked up that entire test putting shitty slow ram with a shitty board and the 6300 probably not even overclocked.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Graphic Design Student & Overall Nerd

Please stop posting this, he fucked up that entire test putting shitty slow ram with a (1)shitty board and the 6300 probably (2)not even overclocked.

was wondering when you'd show up.

1. regarding motherboards - "the FPS I caught was this big" ring any bells? (or is AMD special?)

2. aftermarket cooling is presumably required to get anything noteworthy. Bumping it up to the same price as the 4170 (Haswell equivalent of the 6100) assuming a ~$20 USD cooler like the 212 Evo

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

I have a corsair h100i gtx cooling my CPU, I am keeping it so I don't have to fool with taking the pictures, packaging, selling, and shipping the stupid thing plus it cools my amd 955 be at 4.8ghz great at 45C at the highest.

I am wanting to watercool my dual r9 290x gpu's so I don't have to listen to that airplane in my room every time I play GTA V. I am housing my parts in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case and the top rad space is taken. I can mount a rad outside on the exhaust (at the most a 360mm) and a 120mm on the bottom. I have also seen where someone mounted one against the hdd area. I will show pictures if needed. I would like to know how much rad space I need to keep these gpu's cool during some overclocking and heavy use (GTA V).

Thanks in advance,

Robert

I have a corsair h100i gtx cooling my CPU, I am keeping it so I don't have to fool with taking the pictures, packaging, selling, and shipping the stupid thing plus it cools my amd 955 be at 4.8ghz great at 45C at the highest.

I am wanting to watercool my dual r9 290x gpu's so I don't have to listen to that airplane in my room every time I play GTA V. I am housing my parts in a Thermaltake Level 10 GT case and the top rad space is taken. I can mount a rad outside on the exhaust (at the most a 360mm) and a 120mm on the bottom. I have also seen where someone mounted one against the hdd area. I will show pictures if needed. I would like to know how much rad space I need to keep these gpu's cool during some overclocking and heavy use (GTA V).

Thanks in advance,

Robert

Take it form someone that has a crossfire msi r9 390x setup.  You are going to want a 4x120.  

An alphacool ut60 280 was not enough to keep low temps, so I added a swiftech  mcr 4x120.  When i added my clocked 4790 to the loop, I threw in a black ice 360.  

Please stop posting this, he fucked up that entire test putting shitty slow ram with a shitty board and the 6300 probably not even overclocked.

Well Mr. Benji_W,

I can not speak for that gentleman, but I can say that either way it was very interesting. 

May God our Heavenly Father watch over you, and keep you safe during your holiday trolling, or maybe Satan has already purchased your soul, eitherway I hope you have a Merry CHIRSTmas. :)

B) 

nuf said.

Thanks, Kubiks, I will note that mentally.

ORLY?

You have been visited by the propane god, I tell ya hwat. Repost this on 5 more profiles or Hank Hill will bring the propain.

-

my advice would be to go with an intel i5 like a 4690k or 6600k and a new mobo instead of the money spent on watercooling two 290x's

RIG #14670k @4.4 / 1.25v vcore. @ 4.5 / 1.3v vcore/ 1.95v vccin. MSI GAMING 4G GTX 970 @1540/3700 1.275v BIOS MOD. 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage RAM 2400mhz. MSI GAMING 5 Z97 MOBOFractal Design Define S. Dark Rock Pro 3. 850 EVO 250GB Seasonic M12II 620w
RIG #2: 4790k @ 4.6 / 1.25v vcore. EVGA SC ACX 2.0 980 SLI16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz. Asus MAXIMUS VII Hero Z97. Fractal Design Define R5. NH D15. 850 EVO 250GB AX 860

1. regarding motherboards - "the FPS I caught was this big" ring any bells? (or is AMD special?)

2. aftermarket cooling is presumably required to get anything noteworthy. Bumping it up to the same price as the 4170 (Haswell equivalent of the 6100) assuming a ~$20 USD cooler like the 212 Evo

Say what you want, but the test isn't fair. Overclocking ram on the intel rig is going to net better results than failing to do so on the AMD rig.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

AMD FX8350 @ 5GHz | Asus Sabretooth 990FX R2 | 16GB HyperX Savage @1950mhz CL9 | 120GB Kingston SSDNow

EK AMD LTX CSQ | XSPC D5 Dual Bay | Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 240mm & Coolgate Triple HD360

Spoiler

Kraken

Intel i5 4670K Bare Die 4.9GHz | ASUS Maximus VII Ranger Z97 | 16GB HyperX Savage 2400MHz | Samsung EVO 250GB

EK Supremecy EVO & EK-MOSFET M7G  | Dual 360mm Rads | Primochill CTR Phase II w/D5 | MSI GTX970 1670MHz/8000MHz

Ok... we are starting to get off track here. I think it is settled. I am going to the blue side of the force. That being said, I started another post about a MATX board and getting some info on skylake cpus. That being said, I don't know if I should keep my 290xs if they aren't going to overclock well/at all. Let me know what yall think. Keep or sell? I don't mind selling since I didn't have to pay much for them. If I keep them fine. If I sell them I will probably settle for a 980ti or go balls deep and get the TX, looking like 980ti though. If you want a link to the other post let me know. Thank yall SO much. It truly is appreciated. This forum has been awesome and I recommend this forum every chance I get.

ORLY?

Say what you want, but the test isn't fair. Overclocking ram on the intel rig is going to net better results than failing to do so on the AMD rig.

The 4170 still beats the FX6300 with the same Ram.

Done, over. You are one of the biggest AMD Fanboys on this forum. Face it, a little hyper threaded dual core beats a 6-core FX6300.

Oh, and before you start throwing the word Fanboy around also, I may advise you I am always suggesting AMD GPUs to people. Heck I even give AMD the benefit of the doubt when it comes to CPUs for people who have bought them.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

The 4170 still beats the FX6300 with the same Ram.

Done, over. You are one of the biggest AMD Fanboys on this forum. Face it, a little hyper threaded dual core beats a 6-core FX6300.

Oh, and before you start throwing the word Fanboy around also, I may advise you I am always suggesting AMD GPUs to people. Heck I even give AMD the benefit of the doubt when it comes to CPUs for people who have bought them.

I love how you think that when I have 2x i5s, ones a rig I picked up and the other one is a skylake build for the gf lmao. Also you're the one throwing the word fanboy around young man.

Spoiler

Chernobyl

Spoiler

Kraken