PSU went up in a blaze of glory

Tobleh

So my 400w psu just exploded, which has me extremely distraught. I took my chances with a really shitty power supply that I bought a long time ago and it backfired, after roughly half a year of it working it popped and went up in smoke. I had to save my pennies and pocket change to be able to afford all the parts for this system and now I'm afraid the psu might have taken them all out with it. I used my parents old 250w psu just to see if it would boot up (I couldn't use my gpu because this power supply has no 6 pin power). All the fans spin up, the led's turn on, and the hdd spins but I get no boot. What do you guys think may have been taken out?

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

So my 400w psu just exploded, which has me extremely distraught. I took my chances with a really shitty power supply that I bought a long time ago and it backfired, after roughly half a year of it working it popped and went up in smoke. I had to save my pennies and pocket change to be able to afford all the parts for this system and now I'm afraid the psu might have taken them all out with it. I used my parents old 250w psu just to see if it would boot up (I couldn't use my gpu because this power supply has no 6 pin power). All the fans spin up, the led's turn on, and the hdd spins but I get no boot. What do you guys think may have been taken out?

I would only test it with a brand new good quality PSU to determine what might have been damaged, keep the GPU plugged in too.

It probably works fine.. an ancient 250w PSU is not enough especially since you had to take the GPU out (probably explains leds and fans spinning but not booting)

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

Definitely MOBO.

Intel Core i7-6700K | Corsair H105 | Asus Z170I PRO GAMING | G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB | 950 PRO 512GB M.2

Asus GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB STRIX OC | BitFenix Prodigy (Black/Red) | XFX PRO Black Edition 850W

My BuildPCPartPicker | CoC

Go component by component;

take everything out but 1 stick of RAM and the CPU, and try booting. If nothing happens even on the first step, it's likely your mobo or CPU is gone.

I hope you learned your lesson with shit PSUs - PSU is the most important part of the build (if it's not a web/office machine).

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Part by part.

You have probably killed the motherboard

NEVER USE SHIT PSU's on anything of value!

The working fans and LED's probably mean the MB is fine.

Case: Define R4 (Black - Window) | PSU: EVGA Supernova 850w Gold | Motherboard: ASUS Z97 Deluxe | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO (250GB) | CPU: Intel i7 4790K (Devil's Canyon) Delidded with CLU  GPU: ASUS STRIX 980 TI | Cooler: Corsair H100i with CLU | Extra: NZXT Hue

The working fans and LED's probably mean the MB is fine.

No, not true,

I had a motherboard that worked like that, it didn't work

(Fans worked, Leds worked)

Never and I mean NEVER skimp on a PSU.

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Never and I mean NEVER skimp on a PSU.

i don't think you have made this clear enough...  :P

R5 3600x | RTX 3070 | 16Gb 3200mhz | Gigabyte B550 gaming x | 500gb 660p SSD + 1tb wd blue HDD |

You might have killed the Mobo.

No judgments from me though, I used a Referb OCZ PSU in my first build. Much like yours, after a year or so, it died in spectacular fashion. Luckily mine didn't take anything with it.

Go through it part by part, try another PSU, but the prognosis is not so good right now. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

No, not true,

I had a motherboard that worked like that, it didn't work

(Fans worked, Leds worked)

True, the power for those might be completely separate;

and some fans might be hooked directly to the PSU.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I appreciate all the help and advice. I'll try and get my hands on a good psu and test out each part. I'm hoping that it's JUST the psu and nothing else, that's the best case scenario. Also if you guys have any good power supply recommendations for around $50 I'd appreciate it, that's pretty much all the money I have to my name right now.

Current System: R7 1700x 3.93Ghz, PowerColor R9 380x 1.14ghz, 16gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200mhz, EVGA 650 GS

I appreciate all the help and advice. I'll try and get my hands on a good psu and test out each part. I'm hoping that it's JUST the psu and nothing else, that's the best case scenario. Also if you guys have any good power supply recommendations for around $50 I'd appreciate it, that's pretty much all the money I have to my name right now.

http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Continuous-Warranty-Supply-100-W1-0500-KR/dp/B00H33SFJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1442581837&sr=1-1&keywords=power+supply

Even if you can't afford a nice PSU, it's still an investment you must make for the long term health of your system. My first PSU was an HP one, then I got one of the infamous Thermaltake TR2 power supplies (failure rate near 50%) from a radioshack closing sale so that I could upgrade to a GTX 970, I sold the TR2 to a friend and then I bought a RM650 (which failed) that was RMA'd by Corsair (great RMA experience would recommend) for a RM650i. I never spent more than $50 in one sitting, and now I have a power supply that retails for over $130.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Any XFX or SeaSonic oower supply.

Select Antec Basiq ones are decent along with Antec High Current Gamer

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Corsair CX430, 3 year warranty and Bronze plus. If this one breaks Corsair will RMA it in under a week (if you choose express replacement) Currently $45 with promo code.

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

The best I can find. This is the highest quality of budget PSUs. SeaSonic units are one of the best out there. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Any XFX or SeaSonic oower supply.

Select Antec Basiq ones are decent along with Antec High Current Gamer

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139026

Corsair CX430, 3 year warranty and Bronze plus. If this one breaks Corsair will RMA it in under a week (if you choose express replacement) Currently $45 with promo code.

The best I can find. This is the highest quality of budget PSUs. SeaSonic units are one of the best out there. http://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-s12ii520bronze

I think I'm going to go with the SeaSonic S12II. Thanks for all the recommendations! All of you guys have been really helpful. :D