Computers 'do not improve' pupil results, says OECD

patrick3027

My first computer course in High School was in '83. There was a row of 10 Apple II machines. We were all provided a floppy with the OS and several example applications, all in interpreted BASIC.

One of them was a Breakout type game. Eventually my version of that game was modified to add a lot more complexity. (Multiple balls, bricks requiring multiple, some cases random amount of hits, ball deflection angles of a much wider range, etc.)

Learned a lot about programming, but very little about the history of the origin of computers and the early milestones.

I failed that course miserably ... 48% iirc. The final didn't have more than a handful of programming questions, and none of those were found in the code that was provided in the example applications.

Like others have mentioned before, the computers themselves will not help students achieve higher grades, but they allow the students to have a higher learning ceiling. Thus the students who take advantage of the computers for learning purposes will be the ones with the highest grades.

At my school, the better part of our day is spent on our computers. We use Google Drive for almost all of our assignments, which allows the teachers to give us feedback almost instantaneously. Subjects such as English or Socials (History), are completely done on a computer. However subjects such as math or science, while not using a computer specifically, incorporate some sort of technology into the class, while still relying on the old school methods of teaching. For example, some of the technology we use is the Vex Robotics system which helps illustrate some physics concepts. We also have a class called "electronics", which during the first part of the year focuses on competing in Vex Robotics, then progresses to a more self directed learning of electronics, be it programming or circuitry. However going back to the classes we use computers for, they enable us to do more through research, and to delve into current world issues/news, during our classes. The computers also allow the students to do more self directed learning, or to start the learning themselves and only use the teacher when needed. The idea behind this, is we learn the method of learning that works best for us, and to become more independent students. This greatly helps prepare the students for university where you must take control of your own learning, and where the teacher is not going to "spoon-feed" you.

The computers, specifically Google Drive, allow for the teachers to focus more on the individuals in their class, as you can see them working in real time, and provide feedback. While the computers may not necessarily be doing the teaching, they are providing new tools, and resources for teachers to use.

Brute-forcing the computers into the schools systems, is not the solution. Like others have said, a overhaul of the school system is needed, and it needs to focus more on the individual, and preparing them for life after school, where they must become independent. Technology should be used as an aid for learning, and teaching. 

Asus Sabertooth Z77, Intel 3770K 4.6GHz @ 1.33V, EVGA GTX670, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, and Corsair 800D

i call b.s on this. before last yr my kid went from low c's d's grades and crying fighting not to do homework/ school work. last yr they all got issued chrome books and had almost all a's and b's  and i didnt look at his homework once(i did keep an eye on the grades through the school web site) leaving my more time to work with my other kid. my kid is into pc gaming and online videos so having every thing on a pc made his learning fun/easeier. aotho im a little upsett that hes in 6th grade and hasnt learned cursive writing yet

Uhh.. Try writing C# code on paper. It doesn't work.

Funny but that's how exams in C# are written at my uni, since there are around 200 students that are taking the exam and we don't have enough PC's to cover all of them. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I can back this up.

We use computers everyday at school, it's harder to pay attention.

The engine roars but then it gives, but never dies

We don't live we just survive

On the scraps that you throw awaaaaaay

Oh, I'm sorry I gave an example relevant to what I do. I should have probably gave an example I know nothing about.

Thanks for telling me what I do is a joke.

The only people who code on paper are either students for homework/exams or people who don't have access to a computer. What you do isn't a joke, but come on, a high-level language on paper is never that hard.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Funny but that's how exams in C# are written at my uni, since there are around 200 students that are taking the exam and we don't have enough PC's to cover all of them.

My Java, C++, Scheme, Prolog, and x86 assembly exams have all been on paper, even for classes small enough to host everyone on a computer. Coding in high level languages on paper is not hard if you think it through before you start writing.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

i call b.s on this. before last yr my kid went from low c's d's grades and crying fighting not to do homework/ school work. last yr they all got issued chrome books and had almost all a's and b's and i didnt look at his homework once(i did keep an eye on the grades through the school web site) leaving my more time to work with my other kid. my kid is into pc gaming and online videos so having every thing on a pc made his learning fun/easeier. aotho im a little upsett that hes in 6th grade and hasnt learned cursive writing yet

Cursive is pointless apart from your signature, let's be honest.

I agree most students shouldn't be just given a computer. Personally I Used a computer through all of my highschool instead of writing (talking 2006-2010) due to handwriting more then a few sentences gives me terrible hand cramps but typing doesn't. had a lot of technophobe teachers object and try to stop it, but the difference between a keyboard and a pen for me was about a 40% difference in grading and they ended up stop objecting cause they couldn't ready my writing after a few sentences. maths always sucked and final exams had to be hand written (here they only 20% of total grade fortunately)

a computer isnt an effective learning aid for most students. to most students its no difference to a pen and paper if not worse because less thought is needed on a computer. so digital education should be restricted to those who need it for conditions or for classes in IT which i do believe ALL students should take.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

I think this is way to general. Results for this kind of thing will change on a case by case basis.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Wow... haven't teachers realized that IT only works as a way to distribute content? (Other than actually learning digital skills?)

Teachers still need to do their job right, though I take for granted that some of my high school teachers actually distribute the curriculum appropriately online. 

Sadly the ones that taught me in sciences couldn't use ExploreLearning right and ended up just being a waste of time.

• 2 weeks later...

This article confuses computers with the internet, it's possible use computers without an internet connection so that the pupils don't get distracted, unless the class involves looking stuff up on google. But you can't avoid all distractions without also banning the smartphones and tablets that kids bring to school.

Also, pupils don't get prefabricated homeworks from the internet using school computers, that's a very stupid idea, they instead use they're own computers at home. That's what I used to do.

Computers in school should only really be used in subjects and classes that focus on PCs, such as IT, Programming etc etc

It might be good to have the occasional research session etc for other classes, but a computer should not be needed for 99% of normal lessons in normal subjects

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii