[Build Log] Project Circuit - Watercooled Define S

MadPolygon

Snip

Kick ass build you got going on here man it looks like it will turn out absolutely stunning!

On a separate note i am also currently building in this case. and was wondering if you thought a 420mm and 360mm radiator would fit ith the 420 in the front? and 360 in top? (both with small end tanks ofc) :)

Intel 3930K @ 4,4ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | Corsair Dominator GT 16gb | EVGA GTX 680 Classified | Asus Xonar Xense | Corsair HX 1050 | Corsair H100i | Corsair Force 3 120gb | Western Digital 2tb Black |

Looks amazing. I am doing my own build and am looking around just to see what others look like, and I like this one a lot. I am also going to water cool in the future and am also looking at others builds. Good luck with other builds in the future!

Thanks guys  :D

On a separate note i am also currently building in this case. and was wondering if you thought a 420mm and 360mm radiator would fit ith the 420 in the front? and 360 in top? (both with small end tanks ofc) :)

Best is to have a look at the manual (http://www.fractal-design.com/media/2e889a8a-6628-46bf-bdef-c4a8b244f14c), where radiator configs are listed.

A 420 would only fit in the top and only if its not thicker than 55mm with fans, otherwise it would interfere with the mainboard heatsinks. 420 top and 360 front could propably work if you have the connections at the back for the top rad and at the bottom for the front rad.

I know that 2x EKWB 360PE work in this case, there is an build log over at overclock.net where someone has done this. I propably would ahve gone with 2x 360 rads too if I wasn't doing petg tubing together with the custom psu cover, because tubing runs would most likely be a pain in the butt and I would have to teardown the loop everytime I want access the area under the psu cover to change pump speed, plug in another hdd cable or whatever. With the 240 in the front I won't have that problem and I think a 360+240 should provide enough cooling capacity for a single gpu setup.

Looks amazing. I am doing my own build and am looking around just to see what others look like, and I like this one a lot. I am also going to water cool in the future and am also looking at others builds. Good luck with other builds in the future!

Feel free to get some inspiration  ;)

So today I got some new plexi thats only satiniced on one side in my mail.

Bent a small test piece of 10cm x 20cm.

Here you can see the bending table in action  ;)

P1090913

P1090930

Was curious about the current draw, so I connected my multimeter

P1090932

The result...

P1090935

P1090936

Prepping it for painting. I'm gonna test 2 different types of paint on the two halfes. 

The orange tape is 1,6mm wide, blue 3,2mm, red 4mm. To avoid the fiddling with the tape I'm gonna get the design plotted on masking foil.

P1090948

Also the new fittings for PETG tubes B)

P1090959

P1090967

P1090971

• 2 weeks later...

Besides being sick, I also spent some time designing a decal for the front of the Define S.

frontbadge.thumb.PNG.71fb46060c41d2fa82cfrontbadgev2.thumb.PNG.f80e7bab2e8e77a79

I think I'm going with the second version. What do you guys think? Maybe you got some other ideas or improvements.

Colorwise it will be a dark red, something like this: http://abload.de/image.php?img=dsc00117u1sug.jpg or maybe something that has a nice effect like brushed aluminium, idk yet.

This time I made the design intentionally more unsymmetrical and I think it turned out really nice.

I'm also thinking of changing the design of the psu cover a bit, to make it a bit more unsymmetrical too.

Beyond that I'm trying to move the SSD to the top of the psu cover with some 5mm thick plexiglas beneath it, which will be backlit so the edges shine in a nice red. The surface of the SSD and plexi will be wrapped with black vinyl wrap.

14 minutes ago, MadPolygon said:

Besides being sick, I also spent some time designing a decal for the front of the Define S.

I think I'm going with the second version. What do you guys think? Maybe you got some other ideas or improvements.

Colorwise it will be a dark red, something like this: http://abload.de/image.php?img=dsc00117u1sug.jpg or maybe something that has a nice effect like brushed aluminium, idk yet.

This time I made the design intentionally more unsymmetrical and I think it turned out really nice.

I'm also thinking of changing the design of the psu cover a bit, to make it a bit more unsymmetrical too.

Beyond that I'm trying to move the SSD to the top of the psu cover with some 5mm thick plexiglas beneath it, which will be backlit so the edges shine in a nice red. The surface of the SSD and plexi will be wrapped with black vinyl wrap.

i think you should go with the second one as well. also not sure if its possible to do this on vinyl (i dont think so unless you have a printer that can print on vinyl) but i think you should add some depth to it make it look a bit more interesting especially to that central hub/chip area. do you mind if i play around with it in photoshop for a bit?

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

8 minutes ago, Maybach123 said:

i think you should go with the second one as well. also not sure if its possible to do this on vinyl (i dont think so unless you have a printer that can print on vinyl) but i think you should add some depth to it make it look a bit more interesting especially to that central hub/chip area. do you mind if i play around with it in photoshop for a bit?

Yeah, it will be done with a cutting plotter just like the masking foil. It would be way to hard and inaccurate to do it via hand.

I think I know what you mean: frontbadgev2_2.thumb.PNG.dc1fc082dd69f39

But feel free to play around with it ;)

26 minutes ago, MadPolygon said:

Yeah, it will be done with a cutting plotter just like the masking foil. It would be way to hard and inaccurate to do it via hand.

this is what i was kind of thinking im not sure you could do this with vinyl unless you layered in in increasingly small layers which i know would be a pain. but just to give you an idea of what i meant 

56b785473375a_projectcircuit.thumb.jpg.c

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

26 minutes ago, MadPolygon said:

You should square off the joints and things b/c they're clearly not 90 degrees.

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

just added a bit of text for fun actually click on the photo as it will show a better looking version

56b786e0b0238_projectcircuit.thumb.jpg.b

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

this is what i was kind of thinking im not sure you could do this with vinyl unless you layered in in increasingly small layers which i know would be a pain. but just to give you an idea of what i meant 

Ahh I see. It certainly would be an interessting effect, but I don't think it will look good with stacked layers of vinyl. But maybe in the future I could put something like an old cpu or ic there. A piece of metal or plexiglas painted black with angled edges could also work. And while I wrote the last sentence an awesome idea came into my mind: putting a piece of plexiglas there, with angled edges like in your picture, then black vinyl on the top (like here ssd-mount_gruen.jpg , but with said angled edges) and backlit with red leds from behind. Man so many ideas O.o, you could even integrate the project name :). But then I don't know yet if I want to drill through the front panel :/. Maybe that's something for the future.

1 hour ago, The Cool n00B said:

You should square off the joints and things b/c they're clearly not 90 degrees.

They're 100% 90° :D. I think it looks a bit weird because the camera view inside sketchup was a bit tilted, also the missing antialiasing propably made it look even worse ^^.

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

just added a bit of text for fun actually click on the photo as it will show a better looking version

That's something I also thought of :). I'm gonna get the project name made separately so I can just add and remove it depending on what I like more. Just need a nice font 9_9.

This seems like a clean build, but putting the name on the front will just clutter it. As for the black square, I would put a sheet of black plexi with rounded edges in there. Black plexi, not black painted plexi. They have different optical properties.

TL;DR: Looks good, don't jinx it.

14 minutes ago, Snooli said:

This seems like a clean build, but putting the name on the front will just clutter it. As for the black square, I would put a sheet of black plexi with rounded edges in there. Black plexi, not black painted plexi. They have different optical properties.

TL;DR: Looks good, don't jinx it.

Yeah maybe it will, but I can easily remove it seconds later. It's just a separate badge.

banner.thumb.png.caf04017791e3e79f17b8b8

I redesigned the patterns for the psu cover and also added the backlit plexiglas mounts with ssds (I have only one at the moment, but maybe I'll get  second9_9). Added some decals on top of the ssds, which will be wraped in black vinyl.

As you can see, I also created a banner for updates.

coverwithssds.thumb.PNG.e9cffa7659897c81

1 hour ago, MadPolygon said:

I redesigned the patterns for the psu cover and also added the backlit plexiglas mounts with ssds (I have only one at the moment, but maybe I'll get  second9_9). Added some decals on top of the ssds, which will be wraped in black vinyl.

As you can see, I also created a banner for updates.

YAAAS

My rig: Intel Core i7-8700K OC 4.8 | NZXT Kraken X62 | ASUS Z370-F | 16 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 (2x8) | EVGA 1070 SC | EVGA SuperNova NEX650G1 | NZXT H700 | Samsung 250GB 850-EVO | 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs 

2 hours ago, MadPolygon said:

Exactly! xD

COMIC SANS MS

1 hour ago, The Cool n00B said:

COMIC SANS MS

NOOOOOOO, please not my eyes... arghhhh xD

I'm currently rendering the psu cover together with the ssd mount, but it takes friggin ages on my work laptop. Will do more renders on my pc at home. :D

2 hours ago, MadPolygon said:

NOOOOOOO, please not my eyes... arghhhh xD

ARE YOUR EYES BLEEDING YET?

2 hours ago, The Cool n00B said:

ARE YOUR EYES BLEEDING YET?

GAAAHD DAMMIT! :P

Two finished renders. Turned out quite good despite my limited knowledge.

render2.thumb.PNG.94db928be06a835342200brender1.thumb.PNG.121b7a7961004fdb834599

38 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Sweet. I don't know how to "like" your post so I'll give it a "friendly"!

Really pisses me off that like is gone.

Just now, The Cool n00B said:

Really pisses me off that like is gone.

i agree they should have kept the like and just added the agree 

On 12.2.2016 at 6:34 PM, Snooli said:

So when are you changing your profile icon to something more red?

Also, how many custom LEDs will there be in the end?

Good idea ^^, I will see if I can put something together tomorrow.

I don't know yet, depends on how many it takes to light up everything evenly. I have 2 1 meter strips with 60 leds per meter, so 120 leds, which I hope will be enough :D