How do other people see us?

SeanAngelo

So out of nowhere this morning I was just browsing YouTube and it suddenly hit me "what do we look like to others?" So I decided to search for answers, the links I've clicked say that the way we see ourselves in the mirror is not the actual image of us. But the real representation of us is a flipped version of the image you see in the mirror. 

So if I was holding up my left hand in front of a mirror, it would show my left hand. But if you flip it (the way other people see you) then my left hand becomes the right?  :huh: So if you were to ask a person which hand you're holding up, wouldn't they say the right because of how they see you even though it's your left hand?

Sorry if this is a pointless thread but just wanted to see what you guys think about it :P

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Yep. And it's not that your left had is now your right, it's just that your left hand is on the right for someone looking at you. Hence why people will say 'your left' or 'my left' etc. 

I've had an app on my phone that flips the image and is a 'true mirror' for years now... 

EDIT: Apparently if we walked past ourselves on the street, we wouldn't even recognise it as being us because our perception of how we look is so different to how we look to others... 

My mirror shattered when it saw me. /thread

Main Rig

Case: NZXT H440 White | CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K @5.2GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H80i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition | RAM: HyperX Fury White & Black Series 16GB (4x4GB) OC to 2133MHz | Graphics Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 980 Ti ArcticStorm | SSD: Intel 730 Series 480GB & Samsung 840 256GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA 750W Supernova G2 80+ Gold | Display: BenQ XL2420G & Samsung S20D300 | Headset: Corsair 1500 | Mouse: Logitech G700S | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Silver RED LED

XENON Build:  

Intel Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3GHz | Intel DZ68BC | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB 1866MHz | Kingston HyperX 3k 240GB | MSI GeForce GTX 680 | Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Grey | Seasonic 520W 80+ Platinum Fanless

Office Build:

Case: Fractal Focus G White | CPU: i5-8600K | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Motherboard: MSI Z370-A PRO | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB-2666 | GPU: MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | SSD: Kingston A400 240GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm | PSU: EVGA BT 450W+ Bronze

Phone

iPhone XS Max 512GB Gold

Yep. And it's not that your left had is now your right, it's just that your left hand is on the right for someone looking at you. Hence why people will say 'your left' or 'my left' etc. 

I've had an app on my phone that flips the image and is a 'true mirror' for years now... 

EDIT: Apparently if we walked past ourselves on the street, we wouldn't even recognise it as being us because our perception of how we look is so different to how we look to others... 

Hmmm interesting. What app is it?

So, the iPhone selfie camera is the way we see ourselves because after you take a selfie, the phone automatically flips it  :huh:

My mirror shattered when it saw me. /thread

Haha, don't be so harsh on yourself  :D  :lol:

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Hmmm interesting. What app is it?

So, the iPhone selfie camera is the way we see ourselves because after you take a selfie, the phone automatically flips it  :huh:

"True Mirror" or something like that... It's kinda shit but I haven't found anything similar. 

And yeah, it does. 

"True Mirror" or something like that... It's kinda shit but I haven't found anything similar. 

And yeah, it does. 

Found it, thanks :)

What about for pictures that people take of you? Because I read somewhere that a picture of you is not the real representation of yourself even though it's flipped from a mirror point of view?

Old Rig

Found it, thanks :)

What about for pictures that people take of you? Because I read somewhere that a picture of you is not the real representation of yourself even though it's flipped from a mirror point of view?

That I don't know, though I've heard it also. I guess we'll never know, because we'll never be another person looking at ourselves... 

That I don't know, though I've heard it also. I guess we'll never know, because we'll never be another person looking at ourselves... 

Damn, this is really bugging me haha. I would love for someone to invent a way of seeing as ourselves as in the TRUE image. It would shock a lot of people I think.

So I think I look hot, but in reality I'm not? Damn :(

That's what I was thinking, you look hot in the mirror but flip the image and you go from 100-0 real quick.  :lol:

I've read somewhere that you actually "look less good to other people compared to your mirror image."

Old Rig

Damn, this is really bugging me haha. I would love for someone to invent a way of seeing as ourselves as in the TRUE image. It would shock a lot of people I think.

That's what I was thinking, you look hot in the mirror but flip the image and you go from 100-0 real quick.  :lol:

I've read somewhere that you actually "look less good to other people compared to your mirror image."

I mean, I can't imagine it would be THAT different, but everyone sees colour differently to others right? 

Wanna r8 each other m8?

blackshades on

I mean, I can't imagine it would be THAT different, but everyone sees colour differently to others right? 

Yeahh true

Wanna r8 each other m8?

I r8 you 11/10 m8

Old Rig