The Big Move Day 7

I missed the vlogs.

It's the un-professionalism being documented rather than the srs mode Linus and crew. xD

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

when i watched the pfsense router video , i thought linus was unprofessional , now i think he is king of computers

also, why did they go air instead of water and not overclock their titan x's 

and is that linus' wife in the background or a new employee 

also, why did they go air instead of water and not overclock their titan x's 

Linus mentioned that they had watercooling at the old office because the room would get very hot with their rendering and stuff. But since the new office had AC, they went aircooling and could adjust the ambient temps if necessary.

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

wow. i can't believe that they are construct a pc.................... and they work for linus. don't they watch the videos they are editing at all? 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Well to be fair, it'd be rather rare in the job of an editor/camera operator to have to build a system. This seems to be more of case that because they were so busy they got the editors to do the vast amount of the work to save on time.

EDIT - Also worth a mention is that the opposite applies. Linus works at a media production house and knows little about editing and camera work. 

In my opinion that does not make much sense. Yes they do not know anything about Camera work and editing, but they are not making videos about that are they? They are making them about Computer hardware, most notable ENTHUSIAST products. My point being wouldnt it add value to the company having employees which are enthusiast about the same thing, or at least aspects of it, or at the very least consider it a hobby and have hands-on experience.

So the only people who actually know anything about Computer hardware are Luke and Linus? I would imagine alot of people who are really into hardware and computers in general would love to work there, but somehow you manage to hire all these people who dont actually know anything about it, and even worse, seem like they are totally uninterested (excluding the Camera crew ofcourse). Hearing that NickyV guy fail at building the PC and then dismissing every suggestion Linus makes actually pissed me off quite a bit.

Why dont you ask possible hires to build a PC (its not like your short on parts by the looks of your warehouse) when they come in for an interview?

If they needed people good at building computers they would, for the roles assigned they obviously do not.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

So the only people who actually know anything about Computer hardware are Luke and Linus? I would imagine alot of people who are really into hardware and computers in general would love to work there, but somehow you manage to hire all these people who dont actually know anything about it, and even worse, seem like they are totally uninterested (excluding the Camera crew ofcourse). Hearing that NickyV guy fail at building the PC and then dismissing every suggestion Linus makes actually pissed me off quite a bit.

Why dont you ask possible hires to build a PC (its not like your short on parts by the looks of your warehouse) when they come in for an interview?

If LMG wanted editors and camera crew members who could put computers together on their own, then don't you think they would've hired people like that? I'd imagine that between Linus and Luke, LMG is pretty well covered in the computer knowledge department. That leaves plenty of room to focus on hiring people who are skilled in camera operation and video editing.

It's amusing that the other employees don't know how to build a computer, but it's understandable that they don't. Their field of expertise simply doesn't include that skill.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Something tells me one, or several of the components, in that office waterloop were made of aluminum while others were made of copper.

I'm willing to bet that if you opened up those waterblocks, you would find corroded aluminum particles. This can cause leakage from pressure building up from clogged components.

Was the radiator made with aluminum piping?

I made the same mistake, back in 2001 or so, when watercooling was reserved to hobbyists who milled their own blocks. I milled a copper block with an aluminum top. Bad idea :)

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes)

If LMG wanted editors and camera crew members who could put computers together on their own, then don't you think they would've hired people like that? I'd imagine that between Linus and Luke, LMG is pretty well covered in the computer knowledge department. That leaves plenty of room to focus on hiring people who are skilled in camera operation and video editing.

It's amusing that the other employees don't know how to build a computer, but it's understandable that they don't. Their field of expertise simply doesn't include that skill.

I understand your point. However if you (and others) dont understand mine by now its pretty fruitless explaining further.

Also this sounds like you havent read my post properly. Because I emphasized the fact I was talking about at least having computer hardware as a hobby, not as an expertise.

I understand your point. However if you (and others) dont understand mine by now its pretty fruitless explaining further.

Also this sounds like you havent read my post properly. Because I emphasized the fact I was talking about at least having computer hardware as a hobby, not as an expertise.

Honestly linus should be focusing on hiring video editors based on their editing prowless rather than having prereq PC hobby skills. Their sphere of knowledge is around video, if they were selling PC components or even talking about it in youtube, then yes they should know a little about building PCs.

For example, I work in the construction industry as an IT guy. I am surrounded by Geotech products, masonry stone/brick, and even general contractor supplies. But I have no idea about the products since my focus is on keeping the buisness running smoothly rather than knowing what the intimate differences between different materials.

I wasn't trying to be a dick...? I was simply telling you I thought it was up a week ago and then edited in that it was. 

Your right it was up a while ago

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Honestly linus should be focusing on hiring video editors based on their editing prowless rather than having prereq PC hobby skills. Their sphere of knowledge is around video, if they were selling PC components or even talking about it in youtube, then yes they should know a little about building PCs.

For example, I work in the construction industry as an IT guy. I am surrounded by Geotech products, masonry stone/brick, and even general contractor supplies. But I have no idea about the products since my focus is on keeping the buisness running smoothly rather than knowing what the intimate differences between different materials.

Well here we go again but apparently you still havent gotten my point:

Geotech's main business is NOT to publish videos about contracting supplies and masonry/stone brick. Their main/core business is to SELL these products. How would you feel if Geotech asked you to build a wall with their products on camera? How would Geotech's customers feel about them doing this, and you not knowing anything about it, regardless of your position in the company? Your skills are not the issue here, it is how they are choosing to be perceived (by their customers). Which does not make any sense in my opinion. 

Linus's main business is to publish videos about (enthusiast) Computer hardware. He could have chosen not to include and or publish these videos, however he does. 

• 3 weeks later...