Should I upgrade to a Strix 980 ti?

Watsyurdeal

So here's the situation, I was wanting to upgrade my GPU so I can play at max settings, with the frame rate as close to 144 frames or more as possible.

Right now, I can play games like Counter Strike and Dirty Bomb just fine at well over 80 frames or more. But I would like to max out everything on every game, and not even FEEL it. I have an Asus VG248QE, and I currently have a EVGA Superclocked ftw 750 ti. And my processor is a 4690k overclocked to 4.5 ghz.

What do you folks think? Should I get a Strix 980 ti, keep my current card, or wait for Pascal?

Resolution? If it's 1080p you might as well just get a Radeon R9 390 and call it a day. No need for a 980Ti in 1080p.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

So here's the situation, I was wanting to upgrade my GPU so I can play at max settings, with the frame rate as close to 144 frames or more as possible.

Right now, I can play games like Counter Strike and Dirty Bomb just fine at well over 80 frames or more. But I would like to max out everything on every game, and not even FEEL it. I have an Asus VG248QE, and I currently have a EVGA Superclocked ftw 750 ti. And my processor is a 4690k overclocked to 4.5 ghz.

What do you folks think? Should I get a Strix 980 ti, keep my current card, or wait for Pascal?

Ok here is how it can go down...You either get the 980ti now, you wait for pascal and get a pascal card OR you wait for pascal and grab the 980ti's then because they will be cheaper!

I'm playing my Xbone on 3 LG Curved monitors-No one ever

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Resident bad pun maker.....please excuse them

you should be getting 180-200 FPS with that card on cs go

Well judging by Nvidia and Intel's train of progress, I'm not getting my hopes up. For all we know it could be a marginal increase.

But Morgan has a damn good point, maybe by then they'll actually have 980 ti's in stock as well. xD

you should be getting 180-200 FPS with that card on cs go

I do, but I'm not talking about CS GO. Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, etc, all the holy shit pretty games I'd like to be able to max out and not have any troubles. Ideally I'd like to get over 100 frames at least, prob ridiculous I know but if I have the money, and I have a 144 hz monitor I want to get the most out of it.

Pascal is supposed to be phenomenal from what I've heard so far. I'm pretty psyched for it, as I'm looking forward to a new generation of cards. 

Lol watch it's gonna be just like the Fury Nano #BrokenFuckingDreams I watched that stream and CRIED!!!

Please, read CoC it helps, it helped me it should help you-Every competent member

Well judging by Nvidia and Intel's train of progress, I'm not getting my hopes up. For all we know it could be a marginal increase.

But Morgan has a damn good point, maybe by then they'll actually have 980 ti's in stock as well. xD

I do, but I'm not talking about CS GO. Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor, etc, all the holy shit pretty games I'd like to be able to max out and not have any troubles. Ideally I'd like to get over 100 frames at least, prob ridiculous I know but if I have the money, and I have a 144 hz monitor I want to get the most out of it.

This is what Nvidias train of progress does to AMD

3zm55Es.gif

Resolution? If it's 1080p you might as well just get a Radeon R9 390 and call it a day. No need for a 980Ti in 1080p.

It's 1080p but it's also 144Hz, so he may as well get the GTX 980 Ti.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I thought pascal was going to be a workstation gpu?

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

If he can afford one. Let him get one. Games will always get more demanding.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I think that once Pascal comes out, and most people have moved over to it, the 980 will probably be the new 950 in terms of budget graphics cards.

If I was correct about the resolution, you can just as well grab an R9 390 now (It will run any game at Ultra @1080p @60FPS+) and save up the rest money in a wait for Pascal, if it turns out to be not a big increase over Maxwell then you can just add another 390 and have a more powerful setup than a single 980Ti. Also AMD DX12 Benchmarks seem promising, by the time Pascal is released we will be sure if they're true so that would be another reason to add another 390.

OR if Pascal/Greenland turn out to be amazing you can always sell the 390 and get a new GPU =)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Ok here is how it can go down...You either get the 980ti now, you wait for pascal and get a pascal card OR you wait for pascal and grab the 980ti's then because they will be cheaper!

ok they will stop making 980ti cards immediately like they did the 780ti cards as soon as the next gen cards come out. I can forget sli now unless I go used, a new evga card to match mine is over a grand, and i just might as well sell my 780ti for used price buy 2 980 ti cards if I am going to spend that much on 1 780ti to sli lol.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Fury Nano made me cry...if Pascal performs worse than Maxwell (kind of like Tesla to Kepler) then I think I'm going to give up on life.

Fury nano is the stupidest piece of shit AMD has EVER CREATED!  It's expensive, hot, and underpowered shit!