558 Vs. 598? What's different?

Godospartan

Besides the obvious number, and finish of the overall design, im wondering what makes the two so different sound wise, if the 598 is twice as good, considering the twice the price when it comes to off the shelf retail pricing. the reaosn im asking this is because i might look into some open ear headphones to know when someone in the house is making sound. and these seem to be the highest class devices that don't overbear my already low power supply, unlike the DT 990's that go 250 ohms.

Current Rig: Case: Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Mid-tower. CPU: Core I5-6600K. GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1070 Founders Edition. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P. RAM: Geil GA4 style 8GB 2400 x2 for 16GB total. SSD: Sandisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 Z400. HDD: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive

Current PeripheralsKeyboard: Logitech G710 Blue Edition. Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse @ Logitech M570 Trackball. Headphones: Philips SHP9500's. Mic: V-Moda Boom Pro. Monitors: a Dell 1440x900 cheapo and an RCA 32 inch 1080p tv. Webcam: Logitech C920

HD 598 has slightly weaker bass but more clean sound. However they are exactly same headphones as HD 558 except there is a some kind of foam missing in the ear cups and by taking this foam out from HD 558 you essentialy change them to HD 598.

So by buying HD 558 you can essentialy mod them to HD 598 and save some money. I dont know if it voids warranty though.

Do you perhaps mean Sennheiser HD 558 and HD 598 headphones by this?

HD 598 has way wider frequency range. Find a store where you can listen and evaluate if it's something you consider twice as good.

HD 598 has slightly weaker bass but more clean sound. However they are exactly same headphones as HD 558 except there is a some kind of foam missing in the ear cups and by taking this foam out from HD 558 you essentialy change them to HD 598.

So by buying HD 558 you can essentialy mod them to HD 598 and save some money. I dont know if it voids warranty though.

that doesnt make them the same... as posted above the frequency range is better on the 598.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

that doesnt make them the same... as posted above the frequency response is better on the 598.

Nevermind. I though the frequency is the same. Not sure if it matters because if I am not wrong you shouldnt be able to hear anything that is at that frequency. Maybe only feel trough vibrations.

However I have HD 558 and they are really really good in my opinion. Very happy with them. For watching movies, listening to music or playing games they are simply awesome.

here we go, better lows better highs.

30e841aa942d837754020c54a6553a14.png

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Basically nothing.

Other than the 598 match your noctuas.

Let me pull up a graph

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Do you perhaps mean Sennheiser HD 558 and HD 598 headphones by this?

HD 598 has way wider frequency range. Find a store where you can listen and evaluate if it's something you consider twice as good.

i can't find a store near me. the closest store near me with anything even relatively decent when it comes to computer gear is a walmart that just so happens to have the Razer V loigitech panel to showcase the 710 (blue edition which was a surprise) and the blackwidow. my town is, in short, a rather depleted town. thus why i have to resort to asking this here, where linus tech tips is king of accurate information, or at least a good amount of varying but agreeing opinions

Current Rig: Case: Coolermaster MasterBox 5 Mid-tower. CPU: Core I5-6600K. GPU: Nvidia GTX GeForce 1070 Founders Edition. Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3P. RAM: Geil GA4 style 8GB 2400 x2 for 16GB total. SSD: Sandisk SD8SBAT-128G-1122 Z400. HDD: Toshiba 1TB Hard Drive

Current PeripheralsKeyboard: Logitech G710 Blue Edition. Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse @ Logitech M570 Trackball. Headphones: Philips SHP9500's. Mic: V-Moda Boom Pro. Monitors: a Dell 1440x900 cheapo and an RCA 32 inch 1080p tv. Webcam: Logitech C920

here

Nothing at all really.

post-53826-0-78638700-1442077265.png

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Twice the price does not equal twice the sound quality.   That said I have not used the 558, but from many accounts there is really only small differences in sound.... my advice is only look at 598 if you can find them on sale (<150 USD.)

i can't find a store near me. the closest store near me with anything even relatively decent when it comes to computer gear is a walmart that just so happens to have the Razer V loigitech panel to showcase the 710 (blue edition which was a surprise) and the blackwidow. my town is, in short, a rather depleted town. thus why i have to resort to asking this here, where linus tech tips is king of accurate information, or at least a good amount of varying but agreeing opinions

Well, since i do prefer higher bass, i went the 558s. I also removed that foam inside the cans.

Nevermind. I though the frequency is the same. Not sure if it matters because if I am not wrong you shouldnt be able to hear anything that is at that frequency. Maybe only feel trough vibrations.

However I have HD 558 and they are really really good in my opinion. Very happy with them. For watching movies, listening to music or playing games they are simply awesome.

i have the g4me one headset and its the best ive ever had, comfy, great sound and great mic, no headset i have had compares to it, and believe me, ive had a few.

i have the g4me one headset and its the best ive ever had, comfy, great sound and great mic, no headset i have had compares to it, and believe me, ive had a few.

headsets im set. im looking to the clouds if i ever want or need a headset, but this is for open back headphones, because headphones produce better quality overall.

headsets im set. im looking to the clouds if i ever want or need a headset, but this is for open back headphones, because headphones produce better quality overall.

i wont ever get cheap headsets again, they all sound the same to me...... worst headset i ever bought was the corsair h1500, my god it was so shocking and for the price i could have cried (£60) and they broke within two weeks.... non tangle cables my arse.

every headset ive owned

tb px12 (x2), tb x12, tb px5, corsair h1500, astro a40s (x2 and both broke because of the shit mixamp), siberia v2 (were very good) and my now g4me one :P

Why get bother wasting money on the cloud when you can just stick a modmic on the 558s? I prefer the open back gaming experience by far. 

i wont ever get cheap headsets again, they all sound the same to me...... worst headset i ever bought was the corsair h1500, my god it was so shocking and for the price i could have cried (£60) and they broke within two weeks.... non tangle cables my arse.

the clouds are actually very good headsets. the mic quality may not be the very best, but for closed back headphones they are great sound quality for the price, as well as at least a DECENT mic that isn't overly bad. Linus himself gives a sound test and STDS treatment for the first set. Logan from Teksyndicate loves the first ones as a headset, and he even reccomended the 2's, and he normally never EVER says a 7.1 is good. so that's a surprisingly good headset for 100 USD

Why get bother wasting money on the cloud when you can just stick a modmic on the 558s? I prefer the open back gaming experience by far. 

if you read, you'll know that for a headset im saying if i ever want or need a headset i've already decided on the clouds. however, the reason im even thinking of asking this forum post is because i feel it would be better and more cost effective to just grab a great set of headphones and a mic. however, i do still think if i want or need a headset ill go clouds. not to mention noone has even answered me on this but i fear the razer software that would make these senn cans 7.1 won't work with logitech software for when i get a logitech product. say a webcam, or my speakers, or maybe even more needing of the logitech software proteus core that im staring at. i heard razer doesnt work with logitech well when it comes to software.

if you read, you'll know that for a headset im saying if i ever want or need a headset i've already decided on the clouds. however, the reason im even thinking of asking this forum post is because i feel it would be better and more cost effective to just grab a great set of headphones and a mic. however, i do still think if i want or need a headset ill go clouds. not to mention noone has even answered me on this but i fear the razer software that would make these senn cans 7.1 won't work with logitech software for when i get a logitech product. say a webcam, or my speakers, or maybe even more needing of the logitech software proteus core that im staring at. i heard razer doesnt work with logitech well when it comes to software.

Why would you need the 7.1 software? Like honestly. I have no rpoblem hearing audio in multiple directions while playing csgo. Why would you need a software? Why would you ever need a headset if you have these? There are better headsets, they are very expensive though. 

Why would you need the 7.1 software? Like honestly. I have no rpoblem hearing audio in multiple directions while playing csgo. Why would you need a software? Why would you ever need a headset if you have these? There are better headsets, they are very expensive though. 

im looking for the best for the buck sound experience, period. also, i need the 7.1 software because for the cloud 1's, or the senns, they are stereo only, i would need software to get the 7.1 experience. i don't play CS:GO, i do have other games, however, that may or may not have "headphone" settings, so i'd much rather just have the complete suite of needed sound. and i do not think you were hearing me... im not saying i need a headset, im saying if i ever do i know where to go, however i am much rather prefering headphones due to headsets having one or the other when it comes to the cans or the mic suffering due to the combo deal, as many do.

BS arbitrary numbers

That's what I was thinking