Need some help getting a photo the right size...

samcool55

Hi.

I placed an order somewhere for a sticker with custom design, turns out the measurements are off and i have no idea what it's all about.

It works with the metric system btw.

I want to get this design: http://www.facets.la/wallpaper/W_2013_247.jpg

On a sticker that's the size of 1004x314mm, and it says the picture is 904x504 (no idea how they got to these numbers, for me it's 2560x1440 :P )

I don't want it stretched, i'm planning to cut off the sides anyway, what i'm using in the end is somewhere in the region of 250x400 ish (size of 15" notebook)

Now, can some wizard here just fill in the rest with black or something so it fits? It's completely out of my comfort zone soo...

If you need more info just ask, but i'm not sure i can give it D: I'm a noob in this...

edit: probably wrong section too but it said photo, close enough for me :D

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Hi.

I placed an order somewhere for a sticker with custom design, turns out the measurements are off and i have no idea what it's all about.

It works with the metric system btw.

I want to get this design: http://www.facets.la/wallpaper/W_2013_247.jpg

On a sticker that's the size of 1004x314mm, and it says the picture is 904x504 (no idea how they got to these numbers, for me it's 2560x1440 :P )

I don't want it stretched, i'm planning to cut off the sides anyway, what i'm using in the end is somewhere in the region of 250x400 ish (size of 15" notebook)

Now, can some wizard here just fill in the rest with black or something so it fits? It's completely out of my comfort zone soo...

If you need more info just ask, but i'm not sure i can give it D: I'm a noob in this...

edit: probably wrong section too but it said photo, close enough for me :D

1004 x 314 = 28.78 : 9 ratio

904 x 504 = 16.14 : 9 ratio

400 x 250 = 14.4 : 9 ratio

Your image is 2560 x 1440 = 16 : 9 ratio

So you're trying to make a sticker out of that image in what ratio?  You won't need to stretch anything, but there will be some cropping.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

1004 x 314 = 28.78 : 9 ratio

904 x 504 = 16.14 : 9 ratio

400 x 250 = 14.4 : 9 ratio

Your image is 2560 x 1440 = 16 : 9 ratio

So you're trying to make a sticker out of that image in what ratio?  You won't need to stretch anything, but there will be some cropping.

I don't know if it will be exacly 400x250 that i will use. but it will be something in that area.

But what i want is the 904x504 picture in the middle of the 1004x314 canvas and fill in the rest with black. Cropping, filling, doesn't really matter as long as the X is in the middle and with the original aspect ratio it's fine by me.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

is it a 16x9 resolution or what

To explain it simple, i want a 16:9 picture on a 21:9(it's acually 28.78:9 but you know what i mean) canvas without stretching it and filling in the unused area with black.

post-243744-0-45718200-1441809236.jpg

Here are the crops for each ratio, with what you will have to cut off.

1004 x 314 = 28.78 : 9 ratio  Yellow, need to trim off a lot top and bottom

904 x 504 = 16.14 : 9 ratio  Red, as this is very close to 16:9, you only need to trim a tiny bit top and bottom.

400 x 250 = 14.4 : 9 ratio  Green, need to trip off a bit from each side

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

To explain it simple, i want a 16:9 picture on a 21:9(it's acually 28.78:9 but you know what i mean) canvas without stretching it and filling in the unused area with black.

If you want to simply fill in the left and right side to make the image wider to fit a 21:9 ratio, in Photoshop first create an empty canvas you want with your exact dimensions, fill it with black, then copy/paste your image on top aligning it at the center.

-snip-

What i want is to add black bars left and right so there is no need to trim when it uses the 28.78 : 9 ratio.

In the end i will cut the black bars off anyway because i don't need them, but they need to be there because the sticker it needs to go on to is that size.

I'll try to draw what i mean in paint and upload it.

edit: gave it a try and here it is, don't laugh with it i suck with this

https://i.imgur.com/CAmSHHh.png

In the end i'll cut off the black bars myself because i only need the X piece, but it's cheaper to print it on a sticker that's 1004x314 and cut it how i want it myself afterwards (in real life with a knife) than to order one that already has the right size.

If you want to simply fill in the left and right side to make the image wider to fit a 21:9 ratio, in Photoshop first create an empty canvas you want with your exact dimensions, fill it with black, then copy/paste your image on top aligning it at the center.

My photo editing skills are close to 0 and i don't have photoshop, it's probably very easy but i can't get it done...

My photo editing skills are close to 0 and i don't have photoshop, it's probably very easy but i can't get it done...

Open paint, resize the canvas to the dimension you desire.

Open paint, resize the canvas to the dimension you desire.

Paint uses pixels and not mm's, that's why i'm completely lost with this.

Paint uses pixels and not mm's, that's why i'm completely lost with this.

As long as the ratio remains the same, it shouldn't matter too much.  Just multiply 21:9 by 100 or 1000 to get a larger size.

size of 1004x314mm, and it says the picture is 904x504

your picture size in pixels = 2560x1440 with 72 ppi "pixel per inch", now to turn the pixels to mm you need the ppi value to know exactly how much pixels are there in every inch or "cm,mm,etc".

now each printer prints with different ppi values and normally its one of these 72,150,300, now 72 is really low "ur pic is at 72ppi" and for printing stickers they use 150 or 300 ppi.

now the shop/website told you that your picture size is 904mm x 504mm which is the picture size at 72ppi, so what you need to do first is to ask them at what ppi they print, then you change your picture to that value 150/300 then stretch or crop the picture to the actual size in mm that you want.

your picture size in pixels = 2560x1440 with 72 ppi "pixel per inch", now to turn the pixels to mm you need the ppi value to know exactly how much pixels are there in every inch or "cm,mm,etc".

now each printer prints with different ppi values and normally its one of these 72,150,300, now 72 is really low "ur pic is at 72ppi" and for printing stickers they use 150 or 300 ppi.

now the shop/website told you that your picture size is 904mm x 504mm which is the picture size at 72ppi, so what you need to do first is to ask them at what ppi they print, then you change your picture to that value 150/300 then stretch or crop the picture to the actual size in mm that you want.

I got the picture, it's printed and perfectly fine.

I installed photoshop, took me 4 damn hours and 6 tires! But whatever i got it going. And turns out you can just type in the size in mm's and somehow it turned magicly into pixels, took me another half hour getting the white picture i had black and placing the photo was just drag and drop, it was placed correctly by photoshop. Soo after almost a 5 hour long fight i got the picture right, and it's already printed and i picked it up friday, and it looks just as i wanted :)

Again, no idea how photoshop got the mm-pixel conversion right, but it was right, no idea how.

Again, no idea how photoshop got the mm-pixel conversion right, but it was right, no idea how.

as i said the picture have ppi "pixel per inch" value, your picture had 72 ppi which mean in each inch there are 72 pixels, photoshop simply uses the ppi value and find out the size of the picture in inches then change that to mm.

it goes like this pixel size to inches --> 2560/72  , 1440/72 = 35.5 in, 20 in. so from that you get that your picture size "in inches" is 35.5 x 20, and u change that to mm and you get the 904mm x 504mm.

hope this helps, because it took me a long time to get that before when i was searching for it :P, and glade you got ur sticker as u wanted