Is there anything you would change?

Air tree

I'm building my pc in october (I'm waiting for the 9970) and i was wondering if you guys could take a look at my build and tell me what you think and how the red and black theme will look, and if you would change any components that i have planned right now, Well here it is. http://pcpartpicker.com/user/airtree/saved/24VL

Power supply is waay overkill, get a solid 500-600W instead.

Something like a Seasonic M12II 520/620, or XFX Core Pro 550.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

I would replace the Noctua fans with AF-120's from Corsair, windows 8 with windows 7 and the PSU with the current hardware is an overkill like Overl0rd stated, but we don't know what the 9970 is going to be like. So I would stick with it to give you some head room.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

I would replace the Noctua fans with AF-120's from Corsair, windows 8 with windows 7 and the PSU with the current hardware is an overkill like Overl0rd stated, but we don't know what the 9970 is going to be like. So I would stick with it to give you some head room.

I'm using the 3 corsair fans in the visible part of the build and the noctua fans are in the front where you can't see them.

why??

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I'm using the 3 corsair fans in the visible part of the build and the noctua fans are in the front where you can't see them.

I see, stay with the Noctua fans then.

why??

-I was assuming you could see the Noctua fans, they're ugly and if you're going for a rig that you want to look tidy, you might as well go for the AF-120's because they look nice.

-Windows 7 because it's more desktop like, Windows 8 feels like it was optimised for a tablet, and it's a horrible feel to use for a computer that you're using everyday. 

-And it's better to be safe than sorry with PSU's. 

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 @ Stock, CPU cooler: Dark Rock 4, Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-M2 MAX, RAM: 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 @ 3000Mhz, GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0, SSD: Crucial P1 1TB M.2 + 2x120GB SSDs, Case: Corsair 110R, PSU: Corsair TX650M, OS: Windows 10 64-bit.

Everyone is saying windows 7 but you can get startisback and get better performance and better boot times with the start button.

The difference in boot times is miniscule (With an SSD it's almost unnoticeable), I'm currently using Windows 8, and would happily take Windows 7 back, but I don't want to format my drives. I would kill to get windows aero back. 

3Yv12.png

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V200 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition 62.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.41 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Noctua NF-P12-1300 54.4 CFM 120mm Fan ($12.99 @ NCIX US)

Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($133.00 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($188.99 @ NCIX US)

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Other: Antlion modmic ($32.95)

Other: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Blue LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Brown Cherry MX) ($149.00)

Other: Ducky Leather Wrist Rest ($37.00)

Other: Audio technica ath-m50s ($160.00)

Total: $2594.10

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-10 10:25 EDT-0400)

In order of changes:

16GB for future proofing. Potential to upgrade to 32GB later if you want.

Kingston gets their NAND modules from Samsung. Basically the same SSD but cheaper and with a different shell. 

In order of considerations:

The case fans are fine.

The PSU is good (allows room for upgrading to SLI/Crossfire later).

I am on Windows 8 now. I really have no idea what anyone's problem with Win8 is. Then again, I installed Classic Shell the day of Win8's installation simply because I had heard it was bad. So yeah. More gaming performance due to Win8's smaller resource footprint is always nice. Newer=better so long as there are ways to avoid the negatives. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

PSU is kinda overkill if you are not doing sli, get a smaller SSD and bigger HDD

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VI GENE Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: Kingston 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V200 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($159.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Corsair 350D Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition 62.7 CFM 120mm Fan ($14.99 @ Amazon)

Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 High Performance Edition (2-Pack) 62.7 CFM 120mm Fans ($27.41 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Corsair 760W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($133.00 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.90 @ Amazon)

Monitor: Asus PB238Q 23.0" Monitor ($188.99 @ NCIX US)

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse ($54.99 @ Amazon)

Other: Antlion modmic ($32.95)

Other: Ducky DK9008 Shine 3 Blue LED Backlit Mechanical Keyboard (Brown Cherry MX) ($149.00)

Other: Ducky Leather Wrist Rest ($37.00)

Other: Audio technica ath-m50s ($160.00)

Total: $2594.10

(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-10 10:25 EDT-0400)

In order of changes:

Kingston gets their NAND modules from Samsung. Basically the same SSD but cheaper and with a different shell. 

In order of considerations:

The case fans are fine.

The PSU is good (allows room for upgrading to SLI/Crossfire later).

I am on Windows 8 now. I really have no idea what anyone's problem with Win8 is. Then again, I installed Classic Shell the day of Win8's installation simply because I had heard it was bad. So yeah. More gaming performance due to Win8's smaller resource footprint is always nice. Newer=better so long as there are ways to avoid the negatives. 

Why would you want 32gb RAM?

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

I'm assuming he would be using this for gaming, I will never see any game + OS using more than 8GB in the near future. 

I see, stay with the Noctua fans then.

-I was assuming you could see the Noctua fans, they're ugly and if you're going for a rig that you want to look tidy, you might as well go for the AF-120's because they look nice.

-Windows 7 because it's more desktop like, Windows 8 feels like it was optimised for a tablet, and it's a horrible feel to use for a computer that you're using everyday. 

-And it's better to be safe than sorry with PSU's. 

I agree on the windows 7, personally i would much rather have a quiet system rather then a loud system that looks slightly better.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

I agree on the windows 7, personally i would much rather have a quiet system rather then a loud system that looks slightly better.

I'm going to be wearing closed ear headphones pretty much the whole time so that's not a big deal to me.

Why would you want 32gb RAM?

I'm assuming he would be using this for gaming, I will never see any game + OS using more than 8GB in the near future. 

I like how every single time I suggest this, multiple people mention/question it.

RAMDisk and Fancy Cache. Those two alone are worth it to me. Possibly toying with Virtual Machines.

Plus, the more RAM you have, the bigger effect it has on your SSD's read/writes (less is best). This also allows you to turn off your Page File (gives 6-7GB back of SSD space).

Honestly, if you do not want it, do not get it. But I would rather have it, than not. Having the ability to upgrade later is always good as well. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I like how every single time I suggest this, multiple people mention/question it.

RAMDisk and Fancy Cache. Those two alone are worth it to me. Possibly toying with Virtual Machines.

Plus, the more RAM you have, the bigger effect it has on your SSD's read/writes (less is best). This also allows you to turn off your Page File (gives 6-7GB back of SSD space).

Honestly, if you do not want it, do not get it. But I would rather have it, than not. Having the ability to upgrade later is always good as well. 

^+1 I 100% agree with this.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

Wouldnt you need more than 32gb of ram for a RAMDIsk?

Looks really nice, however if since you're waiting for the new 9970, lots of retailers seem to be getting rid of all of the Higher end cards, for example you can get an XFX Radeon 7990 with 8 games for 40 dollars more than the 780, along with getting a few more frames in the games you get. That is if you don't mind using the extra power and noise.

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8068167&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CMHhnZeO87gCFQya4AodNxMAow

Not for 1 game or a few commonly used programs etc.

Console optimisations and how they will effect you | The difference between AMD cores and Intel cores | Memory Bus size and how it effects your VRAM usage |
How much vram do you actually need? | APUs and the future of processing | Projects: SO - here

Intel i7 5820l @ with Corsair H110 | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 1600Mhz | XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 1.2Ghz | Corsair 600Q | Corsair TX650 | Probably too much corsair but meh should have had a Corsair SSD and RAM | 1.3TB HDD Space | Sennheiser HD598 | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro | Blue Snowball

I have 16GBs currently. 2x8GB. I will be upgrading to 32GB (4x8GB) or 64GB (4x16GB) eventually. 

With 16GBs, I can make an 8GB RAMDisk that any one of my games will fit on. Or whatever I want to put on it. It is more of a "cool thing you can do" rather than useful, unless you are a photo/video editor or Adobe programs user. 

My point is that the minimum amount of RAM you need for a RAMDisk is 1 byte. Literally. The minimum RAMDisk capacity that is actually useful is 4GB but varies depending on what game you want on it. 

RAMDisk in general is like RAIDing multiple SSD's. You do it because it is awesome and you can. :| It is a cheap way to get an SSD as well if you do not want to shell out the money for one. Just load your games onto it before you play them and bam. Instant loading, essentially.

As for Fancy Cache, well again, that is more so only useful for HDDs. As SSDs will not make use of it. The RAMDisk is where the idea for SSDs came from btw. SSDs are just a slightly different version of RAM dedicated to storage (definition of a RAMDisk). 

The more useful things that having excess amounts of RAM are the following:

Virtual Machines

Each system needs plenty of RAM.

Future-proofing

Consoles having more RAM means that game will likely utilize it more. Both in Video RAM and System RAM areas. 

Re-sell-ability

When you DO eventually upgrade, your system having 16GB of RAM will give it a better chance to sell at a higher price. Yes, the RAM costs more now and will likely cost less later, but when systems may need this much RAM (for whatever reason that humanity/technology comes up with later), you will be able to sell it easier and at a higher price.

Re-usability

If you decide not to sell your system when you do upgrade, it having more RAM than less will leave open the possibilities for it. Maybe Media servers will require more RAM for streaming higher resolution (4K) content. Or you want to turn your old gaming rig into a system with many Virtual Machines on it (one being a router, one being a media server, etc etc) which will require more RAM as well.

My point is simply that having more leaves possibilities open to you. Having less does not.

† Christian Member †

Looks really nice, however if since you're waiting for the new 9970, lots of retailers seem to be getting rid of all of the Higher end cards, for example you can get an XFX Radeon 7990 with 8 games for 40 dollars more than the 780, along with getting a few more frames in the games you get. That is if you don't mind using the extra power and noise.

Link: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8068167&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CMHhnZeO87gCFQya4AodNxMAow

It's a combo of waiting for the 9970 and i have to wait until then since i'm not somewhere that i can build a pc right now and october i will be somewhere that i can build one.

Wait till the 9970 comes out and gets some reviews.

Plan afterwards.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.