Do you still find yourself needing an Anti-Virus?

Titan

Growing up as a kid I found myself running into all kinds of problems with my computer. aka viruses. Now I don't really need it. I occasionally find myself downloading things, but never stumbling upon a virus. Maybe it's because I have came more adept in what is good, and what is bad. Researching something If I don't know what it is. Do you still use an anti-virus. I am looking for a good reason to use one but can't find any. (extra copy from family computers)

Case: Corsair 350D Windowed Motherboard: ASRock Pro4-M CPU: Intel i3-3320 Cooler: Stock(upgrade) Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600MHz Red GPU: Asus GTX DCUIIOC 650 ti  PSU: Corsair CX500 SSD: Samsung 840 128Gb

Monitor: HP 2159M, Random DELL 1280x1024 Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70  Mouse: SteelSeries Black Ops 2 edition Mouse Pad: Unsure Headset: SteelSeries Siberia v2 Blue Frost edition Labtec LT-820 Microphone: Blue Snowball: Frost

Best Anti-Virus: Common Sense.

Something a lot of people need. My friend tried downloading a "gold generator" for one of his games. Wiped his entire os clean. Tried helping, nothing I could do lol

Case: Corsair 350D Windowed Motherboard: ASRock Pro4-M CPU: Intel i3-3320 Cooler: Stock(upgrade) Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600MHz Red GPU: Asus GTX DCUIIOC 650 ti  PSU: Corsair CX500 SSD: Samsung 840 128Gb

Monitor: HP 2159M, Random DELL 1280x1024 Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70  Mouse: SteelSeries Black Ops 2 edition Mouse Pad: Unsure Headset: SteelSeries Siberia v2 Blue Frost edition Labtec LT-820 Microphone: Blue Snowball: Frost

Unless a legit website becomes compromised.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

exaclty. my AV helped me when a site i usually go to got hacked and got infected with malware.

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

I doubt it, but there is the possibility. Plus I rarely download things

That's like saying the best seat belt is common sense.. Just don't crash your car.. :)

I like your logic sir,

Edit: but what if you drive into a lake... and your seatbelt gets stuck

I never had an anti-virus on my computer... Then I got a virus

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I was thinking this earlier. As someone said. Common sense is the best but there is the rare occurrence that something happens out of your control, like your dad downloading more ram (Not my dad, a friends) thats when they are nice but i hate how they always get all up in your junk. I would prefer not using one.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Rather be safe than sorry. So many methods of getting your computer infected. It's not too bad. I like it.

"And yet my mind is screaming, provoked in an icy sweat. It’s pleading and begging for a release, scraping the walls of a padded cell, pounding hopelessly at the floors that won’t even deliver the gift of pain."  - Why I Don't Dream Anymore

This.

PC Specs:  2x GTX 550 ti in SLI - Intel i7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz - Thermaltake Overseer Case - 8 GB Corsair Vengeance Ram - 1TB Harddrive - 500 Watt PSU that came with my old prebuilt pc lawl -  ASUS P8P67 EVO

Peripherals:  Razer Deathadder Black Edition - Razer Arctosa Keyboard - Logitech G53 Headset

Cool song of the day: Chief Keef - Round da Rosey    Changed my profile pic again...                                        Mountain Dew is good. So are video games and music. Oh and unicorns.

I don't see why people wouldn't get one. It's just install and forget. It's better to have and not need than to need and not have.  ;)

I have one just in case of a random brain fart. Can happen to the best of us. There's nothing wrong with taking a few precautions instead of saying "I'm not stupid, I'll never ever get a virus". 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

it's always good to have some sort of security to look after your content because even if you are more aware as to what is safe to download, you never know.

Yeah, but I also have people who would need it more than me.

Oh and sometimes it lets me know if the website is good or bad. So that right there is why I have Kaspersky Internet Security.

what is an anti virus 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

I didn't use an anti virus until my computer got compromised some how. now I have security essentials.

Do you want to know what grinds my gears?
The old forum.

Nop, however I'm using my free 1 year subscription of Kaspersky Anti-Virus 2013 that was bundled with my motherboard. But it's disabled :P

Option to all who don't like the slow down of antivirus is to disable

real time protection, and just make a scan when you feel like it, just to be sure.

Option to all who don't like the slow down of antivirus is to disable

real time protection, and just make a scan when you feel like it, just to be sure.

It is the same with house alarm. When your house is broken into, call cops to check it out. But the damage is already done...

Antivirus or not, you can use other security tools that may even provide higher protection. Sandboxes/HIPS like Defensewall (only for 32bit tho) and so on. I personally use AV + some proactive defense (Comodo Defense+ and firewall bundle, great and free).

I was thinking this earlier. As someone said. Common sense is the best but there is the rare occurrence that something happens out of your control, like your dad downloading more ram (Not my dad, a friends) thats when they are nice but i hate how they always get all up in your junk. I would prefer not using one.

That reminds me about the time my mom downloaded a trojan from a site that advertised free ram, i told her she downloaded a virus and she  asked if we should take it to the hospital XD, the sad part is she's a nurse.

Building a PC: check it out here http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qvon

It is the same with house alarm. When your house is broken into, call cops to check it out. But the damage is already done...

Antivirus or not, you can use other security tools that may even provide higher protection. Sandboxes/HIPS like Defensewall (only for 32bit tho) and so on. I personally use AV + some proactive defense (Comodo Defense+ and firewall bundle, great and free).

True what you say, when the damage is done it's too late to whine about it, so to say.

But if you really do feel that antivirus is unnecessary on a windows machine

then manual scan is better than nothing.

I personally would not run windows without antivirus with real time protection on.