MIPS64-based Loongson processors.. China's answer to X86 and ARM

jos

Its MIPS. noone sane codes for MIPS. ever... @patrickjp93

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Well this is sure to thrill Russia, since this means that their Elbrus has run into yet another wall of competition. Though I guess in the end I don't know if they really want to focus as much on the Elbrus 2000 architecture's x86 emulation anymore anyway. Heck, maybe Russian manufacturers will simply buy these chips and restrict the E-2000 back into the VLIW market entirely.

Regardless, this has been a long time coming. China's headstrong attitude into technology independence was destined to yield a contemporary CISC x86 processor at some point. It will probably stay with them, though. Well, Pakistan will probably begin importing chips as they see fit, but they don't have much of a use with them considering the U.S. hasn't restricted trade of consumer-grade computing components so far as I remember.

This aint emulation.

They made their own instruction set. Thus intel got jack shit on them. You cannot stop people from making their own product, even if the result is the same.

China did what everyone else does when they want to avoid being sued... Make a product that does the same, just differently enough to not BE the same.

No it's reverse engineering and I doubt intel would have anything to say about it, more like IBM. Intel uses SMT, Power PC looks much more like this (8 logical threads per core if I remember right)

I mean they only are kinda matching the now two generation old i5... YAY! Using how many threads (I think they said 16 threads as 4x4)?

Yay, they can kinda sorta match the per GHz performance of AMD using 2x the number of threads, and intel using 4x. 

Lemme know when they have some actual progress to report. (and I'm sure they will eventually.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

No it's reverse engineering and I doubt intel would have anything to say about it, more like IBM. Intel uses SMT, Power PC looks much more like this (8 logical threads per core if I remember right)

I mean they only are kinda matching the now two generation old i5... YAY! Using how many threads (I think they said 16 threads as 4x4)?

Yay, they can kinda sorta match the per GHz performance of AMD using 2x the number of threads, and intel using 4x. 

Lemme know when they have some actual progress to report. (and I'm sure they will eventually.)

Nvidia tried to do something similiar, but they were legally stopped.

Superscalarity is not the same as SMT, it's parallelism at another level. Both are as concepts not patentable, only a specific implementation is.

To put "4-way superscalar" into perspective: the CPU of the Tegra K1 is 7-way superscalar and that's just a mobile processor.

Also I think you are confusing PowerPC with POWER8: The PowerPC ISA based on an older version of the POWER ISA that allows a superscalar implementation. POWER8 is the newest series of processors from IBM which use the recent version of the POWER ISA and allow for 8-way SMT in addition to being superscalar.

What the hell is an i5 4660?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Nvidia tried to do something similiar, but they were legally stopped.

Superscalarity is not the same as SMT, it's parallelism at another level. Both are as concepts not patentable, only a specific implementation is.

To put "4-way superscalar" into perspective: the CPU of the Tegra K1 is 7-way superscalar and that's just a mobile processor.

Also I think you are confusing PowerPC with POWER8: The PowerPC ISA based on an older version of the POWER ISA that allows a superscalar implementation. POWER8 is the newest series of processors from IBM which use the recent version of the POWER ISA and allow for 8-way SMT in addition to being superscalar.

Sorry yes I meant power8 and I know smt and superscalar are different that's why I said this looks more like ibms cpus.

Still in the grand scheme of things these cpus are pretty bad.

Unless of course they can reach insanely high clocks like what power8 seems to be capable of.

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What the hell is an i5 4660?

I'd be willing to bet anything they meant the I5 4460

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

Wasn't Russia also working on their own chips? Wonder why don't they do some colaboration, talk about a Red Team!

hiyoo.png

Are you accusing AMD of Communism?

why do so many good cases only come in black and white

China will never overtake the US, because the US is one of the biggest exporters and importers there is.

China is already struggling with its economy.

Remember the 90s? Japan did EXACTLY what China did. They exploded and was the second largest economy in the world, they even got slightly closer to overthrow the US as the biggest economy. But their own, local economy couldnt handle this growth. The result was a collapse in the real-estate market (similar to 2008 US bank crisis. Just not as global). Their economy simply imploded due to internal instability. Now Japan is still a massive economy world wide (third i think). But they are unable to grow, they simply exist as a "constant" due to their own internal issues still not being resolved.

well china has a slightly bigger workforce than japan or the US so its intuitive that they will overtake the US

well china has a slightly bigger workforce than japan or the US so its intuitive that they will overtake the US

look, their internal economy is already dropping. Their real estate market has started to burst. This is why there is such a big drop in the asian stock markets.

the real growth in chinese economy isnt as high, its flattening out.

Also, workforce doesnt always matter. In china, the majority of people are NOT the ones making massive money for the country, the wast majority is farmers or other regular jobs.... basically products that cannot or will not be exported. If you do not export the goods or services, then it has little impact on BNP

look, their internal economy is already dropping. Their real estate market has started to burst. This is why there is such a big drop in the asian stock markets.

the real growth in chinese economy isnt as high, its flattening out.

Also, workforce doesnt always matter. In china, the majority of people are NOT the ones making massive money for the country, the wast majority is farmers or other regular jobs.... basically products that cannot or will not be exported. If you do not export the goods or services, then it has little impact on BNP

and more of those people will move to cities and if china's economy stagnates our economy stagnates. have you see the 1000 point drop of the dow jones on monday because of the uncertainty of the chinese market

Its MIPS. noone sane codes for MIPS. ever... @patrickjp93

Just academics and some micro controller people. It really needs to up and die already.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just academics and some micro controller people. It really needs to up and die already.

Well its good for learning (as you said academics) and props to them for actually releasing an entire CPU design to universities, but yes, the MIPS code and ISA need to die fast

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Well its good for learning (as you said academics) and props to them for actually releasing an entire CPU design to universities, but yes, the MIPS code and ISA need to die fast

You guys have MIPS in academics...That is good... Do you guys have OMAP???.. can you tell some good sources to learn OMAP from scratch.. Is it same as ARM.??

You guys have MIPS in academics...That is good... Do you guys have OMAP???.. can you tell some good sources to learn OMAP from scratch.. Is it same as ARM.??

i personally dont. but i know people who do. and yes, OMAP is based around ARM ISA cores

No, if you're going to learn, just use ARM. They're similar in the first place, but at least ARM is useful.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd