Should I get a 980TI or 970 SLI?

Laederem

I'm not too sure

I can get a pair of 970's for 300$ each, the 980TI isn't too much more but it would still have less raw performance, right?

I have an AX860 so there shouldn't be any problems powering either setup. 

I've read from numerous sources that SLI is a bit better than Crossfire. I had a crossfire setup before and didn't have any issues with it, so i'm not really worried. 

suggestions on both sides?

two 970s are approx the same as a 980ti/titan x so yeah better than the 780ti

BUT for games that dont support SLI the 780ti will perform better since its a single card

(not sure if you intentionally said 780ti in the title or not)

Personally I would save up an extra $100 and purchase a 980ti for $700

you get the 970SLI performance, but with a single card that works on all games, and no need to worry about SLI

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

two 970s are approx the same as a 980ti/titan x so yeah better than the 780ti

BUT for games that dont support SLI the 780ti will perform better since its a single card

Personally I would save up an extra $100 and purchase a 980ti for $700

you get the 970SLI performance, but with a single card that works on all games, and no need to worry about SLI

will it matter if it doesn't?

any game that doesn't support SLI will run perfectly fine on a single 970. I'm using a 1440p monitor. 

Well I'm not sure where you got that "SLI us a bit better than CF" since they're both pretty meh... Anyway 4GB of vram will be a limit for those SLI 970s. I'd go with the 980 Ti for a little more since there will not be a need to deal with SLI problems.  

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

will it matter if it doesn't?

any game that doesn't support SLI will run perfectly fine on a single 970. I'm using a 1440p monitor. 

yeah because then your performance will get cut in half when you can only use one card

with a 980ti you dont need to worry about that and get the same (and sometimes better) performance

plus every time you install an update you wont need to reenable SLI in the nvidia control panel

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

yeah because then your performance will get cut in half when you can only use one card

with a 980ti you dont need to worry about that and get the same (and sometimes better) performance

plus every time you install an update you wont need to reenable SLI in the nvidia control panel

what I mean is that it's the difference between 250 and 500 FPS, why bother comparing 

980ti you wont regret it 

Magical Pineapples

what I mean is that it's the difference between 250 and 500 FPS, why bother comparing 

um, no?

if you want to play at high or ultra and still get 60fps, one 970 is not enough for 1440p

unless you play like 10 year old games or minesweeper or something

the difference between 30 and 60fps is extremely noticeable

Spoiler

um, no?

if you want to play at high or ultra and still get 60fps, one 970 is not enough for 1440p

unless you play like 10 year old games or minesweeper or something

the difference between 30 and 60fps is extremely noticeable

if it doesn't support SLI at this point in time then it won't need it

i'm not playing ubisoft or the recent batman game either 

980 ti

My Rig:  CPU: Core i7 4790K @4.8ghz  Motherboard: Asus Maximus Vii Hero  Ram: 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400mhz (Red)  Cooling: Corsair H105, 2x Corsair SP120 High Preformance Editions, Corsair AF 140 Quiet Edition  PSU: Corsair RM 850  GPU: EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Blue 1TB  Case Corsair 760t (Black)  Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma  Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma  Headset: ATH-M50X Mic: Blue Yeti Blackout

if it doesn't support SLI at this point in time then it won't need it

i'm not playing ubisoft or the recent batman game either 

pretty much anything that isnt a game doesnt support SLI either

Spoiler