Creating a SSD image

FunkyFeatures
Go to solution Solved by Murdoch,

And it worked as a bootable image afterwards? My only gripe with that CloneZilla software was that it didn't work. I like clean installs, but at this point (for my laptop as well) having to update from 8 to 8.1 to 10 - it's a big pain in the ass.

I used it to clone the entire SSD. I was swapping a Windows 8.1 install from a 256gb SSD to a 500GB SSD.

But yeah, I cloned the SSD, swapped drives, and picked up where I left off perfectly.

Also, I used the free version.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

So, I thought it would be a good idea to create an image for my SSD on my desktop - I have an 850 EVO 250GB. I have tried using CloneZilla, but found the image unbootable through the software. What is a complete failsafe way of creating a bootable image of an SSD, and storing it on an external driver for later use? (upwards of 6 months later)

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

Last time I cloned an SSD I used Macrium. It's not something I do very often, I'm a clean install sort of guy. But I found it to be, extremely easy, and hassle free.

Last time I cloned an SSD I used Macrium. It's not something I do very often, I'm a clean install sort of guy. But I found it to be, extremely easy, and hassle free.

And it worked as a bootable image afterwards? My only gripe with that CloneZilla software was that it didn't work. I like clean installs, but at this point (for my laptop as well) having to update from 8 to 8.1 to 10 - it's a big pain in the ass.

CPU: I7 4790K(4.6@1.252v)                               Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Windowed(Black)           Cooler: CM 212 EVO + NF F12 iPPC

RAM: HyperX Fury 1600MHZ CL10 2x4GB      Storage: Samsung 850 EVO(250GB) + WD Red(2TB)      PSU: Corsair RM750 (and no, it hasn't blown up!)

MoBo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger                      Graphics: MSI GTX 970 TwinFrozr (1494MHZ Core)       OS: Windows 10 Enterprise

you only do the update once per system. after that it locks to your mainboard and you can clean install from an iso (ive done it on this very pc and skipped the cd key parts, and bam logged in and was activated)

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit

you only do the update once per system. after that it locks to your mainboard and you can clean install from an iso (ive done it on this very pc and skipped the cd key parts, and bam logged in and was activated)

Tell Toshibas drivers that ^^

Tried to do a clean install - all of the sudden the internet ran at 1/3 speed, found it to be the drivers - my laptop is not supported on their website because it's a retarded danish version of the series. :)

Macrium Reflect, right? It seems to be a software that I have to pay to use - in that case, is it worth it and do I have to get the paid version?

I used it to clone the entire SSD. I was swapping a Windows 8.1 install from a 256gb SSD to a 500GB SSD.

But yeah, I cloned the SSD, swapped drives, and picked up where I left off perfectly.

Also, I used the free version.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

Tell Toshibas drivers that ^^

Tried to do a clean install - all of the sudden the internet ran at 1/3 speed, found it to be the drivers - my laptop is not supported on their website because it's a retarded danish version of the series. :)

such is life in denmark i guess xD

CPU: i7 6700k @4.5GHZ | Mobo: MSI Z170 Gaming M5 | RAM: G Skill Rip Jaws V- 16GB | GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT | Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM, Kingston SSD-now 100V+ 128GB, WD Black 600GB, WD Blue 500GB, Intel 600p 256GB nvme SSD |PSU:Corsair CX750M| Cooling: Corsair H60| Displays: 27" LG IPS277L, Samsung Curved 72hz Freesync 27 inch, Epson EX7220 Projector with 100 inch 16:10 Screen | Kb: Corsair Vengeance K70 | Mouse: R.A.T. 4 |  Case:  NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) | OS: Win 10 Home 64 Bit