Can I use a Windows license from a pre-built?

watts300

My kid has an HP that came with Windows 8[.1] and I'm about to upgrade him with a new system. I'll move the storage drives, but that's basically it. 

Is it possible to re-use the license that came with the HP for a new installation on the soon-to-be custom built computer? 

If it involves a phone call to MS, that's fine. I'm just wondering if any one know for sure if it's something that Microsoft would allow. 

If so, I assume the activation would require a fresh install, no? Or could the SSD be moved and then reactivated? 

technically you bought the OS with the prebuilt so yes. it is possible.

u high

no OP the OS is OEM and it is tied to the motherboard of that pre-built

technically you bought the OS with the prebuilt so yes. it is possible.

Actually, technically this would be against the terms of the licensing agreement (because the OEM Windows license was for the original computer). In practice, as the OP says, it may work with a call to Microsoft for phone activation, but that can't be guaranteed. The only guaranteed way is to buy a new Windows license.

You should just be able to if you call up MS to get the product key deactivated then reactivated, I think you would have to do fresh install(not sure but I would do one anyways to avoid any possible problems). I've seen people do it even with OEM keys but it's not 100%

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Not possible, as it's an OEM key most likely.

cant u just get the key from le cmd prompt thingy and reuse it

It's an OEM key, so no. Can only be used once, and the first system it is activated on, that is the one it is tied to. 

Technically it'll be a OEM licence which is tied to a specific piece of hardware, that's not to say they wont do it due to lack of caring but the licence terms probably wont allow it.

Edit: ^^ what they said ;)

u high

no OP the OS is OEM and it is tied to the motherboard of that pre-built

No shit?  Lame.  But I guess I can see how that might be good for their own contract deals with PC manufacturers. 

How would things work if the motherboard bit the dust in the HP and I replaced the part?  Would it still be SOL? 

How about upgrading to win 10 and using that code?

As far as I know upgrading from an oem version you still get a full windows 10 key.

Afterwards youd just have to call microsoft automatic hotline after changing the mobo.

How about upgrading to win 10 and using that code?

As far as I know upgrading from an oem version you still get a full windows 10 key.

Afterwards youd just have to call microsoft automatic hotline after changing the mobo.

The upgrade process includes a new code? 

The upgrade process includes a new code? 

Yes, you get a brand new one and the old one gets shredded.

Just read the windows 10 code with keyfinder or so.

By the way, if your pc happens to have a regular code and not an oem code you can just reinstall windows 8.

Not all prebuilts come with oem keys, allthough most do.