Is 2GB of VRAM enough?

I was thinking of getting a GTX 770, but it "only" has 2GB of memory compared to something like a 7950 or 7970 which has 3GB. Will this difference be noticeable in the long run? how much memory is necessary for today's games, and how long will 2GB be "enough"?

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

At 1080p it's fine, it will start having trouble at 1440p+ resolutions with the newer titles.

Setup Video -----------Peasant Crushing Specs----------- 4K Benchmarks

-CPU- i7 3930k @4.8GHz 1.4v -Mobo- Asus Rampage IV Extreme -GPUs- 2x GTX Titan Hydrocopper SLI -RAM- 32GB (8x4GB) Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz -Storage- 500GB Samsung 840 SSD | 2TB WD Green HDD

-Monitors- 3x BenQ XL2420T | 1x Dell U2713HM -Mouse- Steelseries Rival -Keyboard- Corsair K70 Cherry MX Brown -Headphones- Audio Techinca ATH-M50 -Microphone- RØDE NT1-A

1080p = fine 

anytin more than that it will start runnin out of memory

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

I had this question to myself today too, I'm glad you brought it up haha. 

Intel 4770k : 4.6Ghz @1.285v | Asus Maximum VI Extreme | Asus GTX780 DCUii OC | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB @2400mhz| Corsair AX1200i |

Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | Random mix match 3.5" hard drives |  Asus PB278q

Cooling : EK Supremacy Plexi/Nickle | Swiftech MCP655 Laing D5 | XSPC RX360 | EK D5 X-TOP CSQ |

I was thinking of getting a GTX 770, but it "only" has 2GB of memory compared to something like a 7950 or 7970 which has 3GB. Will this difference be noticeable in the long run? how much memory is necessary for today's games, and how long will 2GB be "enough"?

are you running 1080p? if so then yes you are okay.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

1080p = fine 

anytin more than that it will start runnin out of memory

You are alive! I thought the Joker got you! :D

\

Wait for the 9970? Just a thought.

if he is planning on buying a 770 9970 will probs be out of his price range but 9950 will be really good

i HİGHLY reccomend AMD cards (im always used nvidia) because the consoles are using AMD stuff which means most of the games (probs all) will be much more optimized for AMD and their cards are really good for gaming too... only rason left to buy nvidia is the CUDA cuz CUDA İZ AMAZİN but i will make a change to AMD very soon.

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

I used to use 2gb @ 3x1080p which comes close to vram limit on games like bf3

2GB is fine, I used to run BF3 on a 6850 with only 1GB and that was enough.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

if he is planning on buying a 770 9970 will probs be out of his price range but 9950 will be really good

i HİGHLY reccomend AMD cards (im always used nvidia) because the consoles are using AMD stuff which means most of the games (probs all) will be much more optimized for AMD and their cards are really good for gaming too... only rason left to buy nvidia is the CUDA cuz CUDA İZ AMAZİN but i will make a change to AMD very soon.

this is complete BS

I'm sorry to say, but they don't bring that optimization back to the PC if you didn't realize, the only optimization coming from console to PC is multicore usage, other than that amd isn't getting some kind of benifit

this is complete BS

I'm sorry to say, but they don't bring that optimization back to the PC if you didn't realize, the only optimization coming from console to PC is multicore usage, other than that amd isn't getting some kind of benifit

full dx11 is one thing to consider

I used to use 2gb @ 3x1080p which comes close to vram limit on games like bf3

Yes, dont think you will need more then 2 GB today unless you are going 4K gaming. Tomorrow is another storry

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing

2 GB is actually fine, you might get some performance improvement with the next-gen titles if you have a 3 GB+ card. But people forget that the higher end engines have dynamic memory allocation. Such as Frostbite. The BF4 alpha benchmarks showed the game using 2.2-2.7 GB VRAM with the 780 but the 690 almost performed equal to 780 SLI in the FPS charts, and destroyed a single 780.

Benchmarks: http://www.bf4blog.com/battlefield-4-alpha-gpu-and-cpu-benchmarks/

If you are worried about VRAM, go for the 7970 GHz Edition. I performs almost equal to the 770.

| GPU: GT 650M | CPU: i5-3210M | Excuse my language, sometimes I can be pretty vulgar.

It's enough today. What about tomorrow? if you can add those few bucks, by all means get 770 4GB. What if in 3 months from now BF4 will absolutely kill cards with 2GB because of high res textures? Okay maybe BF4 is a bad example cuz it looks shitty anyway but what about hmm let's say Witcher 3? What if you want to play that game and it will kill cards with just 2 GB of ram because textures will be so high-res? You will have a vram bottleneck and let me show you (simulate) how does vram bottleneck look - currently only way to force it really is using high-res monitor setup:

farcry3.jpg

Check 760 and 770 SLIs. They are 2GB versions here.

You can see they perform really much better than 780/Titan at 1080p and a bit better than 780/Titan in 1440p. Now take a look at 5760x1080. You see? framerates are dead. and what's that? Oh it's 7970 with 3GB RAM still standing on its own! -.-

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

I don't know too many people who game on three monitors, to be honest and its not like people are going to change to 4k monitors or something like that anytime soon (I'm willing to bet a nice chunk of money that 90% of people game on a single 1080 and won't upgrade even to a 2560x1600 any time soon). If you are just gaming on 1080, then 2gb will be fine, as most people have said. Anything higher than that and I'd seriously consider getting 3gb+.

That being said, I'd rather wait for the 9970 or get a 7970 over a 770.

| Corsair Carbide Series 350D |Corsair H100i | Intel i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz, 1.175v | EVGA x99 Micro 2 | G.Skill Trident Z 32gb, 3200MHz

| Gigabyte G1 Gaming 980Ti @1506MHz | EVGA P2 850 Watt | 2x Samsung 850 Evo 500gb | Western Digital Red Pro 6TB |

I don't know too many people who game on three monitors, to be honest and its not like people are going to change to 4k monitors or something like that anytime soon (I'm willing to bet a nice chunk of money that 90% of people game on a single 1080 and won't upgrade even to a 2560x1600 any time soon). If you are just gaming on 1080, then 2gb will be fine, as most people have said. Anything higher than that and I'd seriously consider getting 3gb+.

That being said, I'd rather wait for the 9970 or get a 7970 over a 770.

Nobody knows but you can predict we aint going backwards but we are going forward. We are getting higher and higher polygon counts and higher and higher res textures. 2GB may be not enough in few months. Why gimp yourself to uselessness (vram bottleneck is really making your GPU useless, you have to use lower texture settings etc given they are available)?

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

It's enough today. What about tomorrow? if you can add those few bucks, by all means get 770 4GB. What if in 3 months from now BF4 will absolutely kill cards with 2GB because of high res textures? Okay maybe BF4 is a bad example cuz it looks shitty anyway but what about hmm let's say Witcher 3? What if you want to play that game and it will kill cards with just 2 GB of ram because textures will be so high-res? You will have a vram bottleneck and let me show you (simulate) how does vram bottleneck look - currently only way to force it really is using high-res monitor setup:

farcry3.jpg

Check 760 and 770 SLIs. They are 2GB versions here.

You can see they perform really much better than 780/Titan at 1080p and a bit better than 780/Titan in 1440p. Now take a look at 5760x1080. You see? framerates are dead. and what's that? Oh it's 7970 with 3GB RAM still standing on its own! -.-

That chart is absolutely pointless.

What it shows is this:

None of the cards produce playable framerates for that game at those settings @ 3x1080p

The settings are also ridiculous.

2gb is not fine. Almost all modern games will use over 2gb, even at 1080.

You are alive! I thought the Joker got you! :D

i was banned X.X

this is complete BS

so you know better than camaron... i dont think so bro