2 way GTX 970 vs single GTX 980ti

Umegadem

As the title suggests, I can go for 2 options. I currently have a GTX 970 STRIX right now and can sell it to get the GTX 980ti STRIX. However, which option should I go for? I use the build mainly for gaming. The CPU probably will be the I7-6700k and MOBO will be Maximus VIII hero.

get the 980 ti

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

980 Ti. You won't have to deal with SLI issues and you'll have more VRAM for later titles or higher resolutions.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

As the title suggests, I can go for 2 options. I currently have a GTX 970 STRIX right now and can sell it to get the GTX 980ti STRIX. However, which option should I go for? I use the build mainly for gaming. The CPU probably will be the I7-6700k and MOBO will be Maximus VIII hero.

Performance is basically the same when SLI actually works fully and 980Ti is overclocked so I would definitely opt for a 980Ti also you won't have to deal with any SLI annoyance like I said SLI doesn't always work well

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

980 ti, it's a rule that you get the higher end card instead of putting two cards in SLI especially since some modern games still don't support SLI like Godlygamer23 said. 

SLI 970s does offer slightly better performance; however, their vRAM is low compared to the 980TI which will last much longer. You could always throw in a second 980TI down the road. SLI has had some troubles with windows 10... coming from personal experience.

blackshades on

Go for a 980ti trust me I have sli 970 they work great but a single card is always better.

I don't see why with a 970 you'd be wanting to upgrade unless you plan to move to 4K it's pretty much not valid.

980Ti, no SLI issues and more Vram, also if its a gaming PC go for the 6600K.

Leave everything the same but get a 980ti instead.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

For 1080p@120hz/144Hz or 1440p gaming I'd buy a second 970, you can currently buy a brand new 970 Strix for $288 after a $20 rebate from newegg.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439445-newegg-asus-geforce-gtx-970-drops-to-288-free-copy-of-phantom-pain/

Though SLI 970 usually beats the 980 Ti in synthetics, the 980 Ti is usually slightly better in gaming. But emphasis on slightly.

980 Ti.

I'm halfway through stepping up my EVGA 970 SSC ACX CIA DEA FBI OSHA NSA ROFLMAO 2.0+ cards in SLI to 980Tis.

It's only the reference card with the EVGA cooling solution, but so far I'm impressed with the one 980 Ti I have and am waiting on EVGA to approve my other 970 for step-up. I might do that Corsair HG10 bracket with AIOs to water cool the 980 Tis since I find 79-80C uncomfortably high and it's not even overclocked.

Intel i7-9700k | Noctua NH-U12A | MSI MEG Z390 ACE | 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | Corsair RM750x | Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 / 860 Evo 1TB / 2x Intel 730 480 GB | Phanteks P600S | ASUS ROG Swift 278Q

If you watch JayzTwoCents most recent video, you will see a lot of graphs showing the performance of 2x970 and some 980 ti and titanx and AMD cards. Overall, the 970 is a tiny bit better but it never worth it when you have to deal with SLI issues, extra power required for 2 cards, maybe too much heat?. Anyway, as everybody suggested, go with 980 ti. Always go with single hardcore card than 2 weaker cards.