Is FX-8350 sufficient for gaming? I made a video myself so you can be sure.

You mean to first test the 4690k and the 8350 at stock speeds with turbo boosts on, then clock them both at, say 4.0 for example??

Yes.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Check its price, it doesn't matter what it's classified as, it's cheap.

I believe that's not the point of this thread right?

970 at release almost the same price with CPU

990 series even more, it's almost cost like i7.

I believe that's not the point of this thread right?

970 at release almost the same price with CPU

990 series even more, it's almost cost like i7.

Well my motherboard was one of the cheaper ones since the release, it does feature a 8+2 phase power VRM so it overclocks decent. Anyway, you don't need an expensive mobo for overclocks up to 4,5gHz ;)

Yes.

I will do that, thanks for the tip! Don't know when I'll be doing this though, will keep you updated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Really? Would you? Considering that you'd change your PC in 3 years for instance would you upgrade the CPU only to an already old CPU which won't be much cheaper or just buy a newer platform? Technically LGA1150 is also a dead socket now that skylake is out.

3 years time is a little bit steep true, so buy used obviously.

still better than AM3+. and cheaper, cheaper on bill

also, i7 sandy is not only technically but actually faster than haswell i5, so you are not in bad spot if you buy 3 year old cpu...at all.

and sandy is like 2011.

Looking forward for haswell vs 8350

3 years time is a little bit steep true, so buy used obviously.

still better than AM3+. and cheaper, cheaper on bill

also, i7 sandy is not only technically but actually faster than haswell i5, so you are not in bad spot if you buy 3 year old cpu...at all.

and sandy is like 2011.

Looking forward for haswell vs 8350

Yeah, I've heard that the i7-2600k is a very good CPU indeed, heard also good opinions on an i5-2500k, wouldn't consider buying the i5 though right now, only the i7.

Thanks, I'm not sure when we'll do the 4690k comparison, most likely in the second half of the september, will keep you updated.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

That's another thing:

People recommend i3's with H81 or B85 chipset motherboards instead of the 8320 and a 970 chipset motherboard and claim that the AM3+ is dead and there's no upgrade path.

It's true you can't upgrade the CPU without changing the mobo in AM3+ case. However would you really buy an i5-4690k or an i7-4790k with a H81/B85 motherboard? No sane person would...

There are few b85 boards that can overclock K series CPU's.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Well my motherboard was one of the cheaper ones since the release, it does feature a 8+2 phase power VRM so it overclocks decent. Anyway, you don't need an expensive mobo for overclocks up to 4,5gHz ;)

unfortunately, your opinions doesn't make it true for all people.

this is the price for AMD combinations today (yes that is the cheapest new 970board I can find here)

5e65731f5a.png

that's about $285

40a734eac9.png

and this for i5 $238

going i5 is no brainer.

with same price like AMD, I could switch that for H85 or Z87, or get K version.

This discussion even more pointless if you bring up buying used CPU

I could find someone selling i7 2600k/or non k for $150, pick up cheap H61 and it would work without hiccup since most H61 also have native support for i7 sandy.

unfortunately, your opinions doesn't make it true for all people.

this is the price for AMD combinations today (yes that is the cheapest new 970board I can find here)

5e65731f5a.png

that's about $285

40a734eac9.png

and this for i5 $238

going i5 is no brainer.

with same price like AMD, I could switch that for H85 or Z87, or get K version.

This discussion even more pointless if you bring up buying used CPU

I could find someone selling i7 2600k/or non k for $150, pick up cheap H61 and it would work without hiccup since most H61 also have native support for i7 sandy.

Obviously it all depends where you live and the pricing there, I assumed it's obvious and that people do follow basic logic, and if they see they can get an 4690k in price of the 8350 they'd take the 4690k ^^

There are few b85 boards that can overclock K series CPU's.

Possibly yeah, still, 4790k & b85 doesn't seem like the best combo...

It's not that it's terrible for gaming, but intel definitely offers better options.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's not that it's terrible for gaming, but intel definitely offers better options.

Is an i3-4430 really a better option? I mean it costs the same as FX-8320 at pcpartpicker.com...

we are not talking about the best combo. whatever works with the cheapest solution with the best performance. ;)

this discussion is what's best option for the buck. am I right?

this thread probably still relevant for 2 years ago

but today? ...Like seriously just buy used i7 sandy/ivy and call it a day if you really on budget.

we are not talking about the best combo. whatever works with the cheapest solution with the best performance. ;)

this discussion is what's best option for the buck. am I right?

this thread probably still relevant for 2 years ago

but today? ...Like seriously just buy i7 sandy/ivy and call it a day if you really on budget.

Yeah if you can find an 2600k within the same price take it any day over the 8320/50.

However this thread was mostly directed to people recommending i3's with h81/b85 mobos over the FX-8xxx series that I have encountered here ^^.

Is an i3-4430 really a better option? I mean it costs the same as FX-8320 at pcpartpicker.com...

With an 8+2 VRM board to support it, it's not as expensive. You're marginalising inconvenient facts and misrepresenting arguments.

AMD FX stock cooler is also stupid loud. You need to factor in an aftermarket cooler if you're not wearing ANC headphones 24/7.

The 8350 is at 4.5GHz. An i3 is locked and stuck at what 3.3ish GHz? Users who favor Intel aren't arguing the 8350 is inherently insufficient for games,

Actually, yes they are... Just look around.

If you present @Dabobminable or @Majestic or @Faceman with any of these arguments you will be ignored, flamed, dismissed and attempted ridiculed. Just trying to say you can play a game on them makes the mentioned members froth.

And yes there is a lot of intel favorism here, not in the case of FX though, that is justified, but in other areas the intel fanboy army DOES go out of control with their rampant idiocy. (looking at you G3258 lovers)

People suggest the i3 instead because it beats the 8350 in a lot of benchmarks. There's a difference between saying the i3 is better and saying that the FX isn't sufficient for gaming.

However as well as performing better in most games, the i3 is also substantially cheaper than the 8350 so it makes sense to tell people to avoid the FX. It just isn't value for money -- especially when you factor in motherboard and cooling requirements as well.

Actually, yes they are... Just look around.

If you present @Dabobminable or @Majestic or @Faceman with any of these arguments you will be ignored, flamed, dismissed and attempted ridiculed. Just trying to say you can play a game on them makes the mentioned members froth.

And yes there is a lot of intel favorism here, not in the case of FX though, that is justified, but in other areas the intel fanboy army DOES go out of control with their rampant idiocy. (looking at you G3258 lovers)

That's not true. I never ever argue that the 8350 is insufficient for gaming per se. Some games it isn't though. There are just better options for the same price or even less though with Intel. So this whole topic is just to rationalize current purchases, which serves no purpose to people buying new systems.

I only flame you if you preset debunked, rationalistic, cognitive bias laden arguments like OP does. ;)

Depends on what you need. In most games it will perform better, yes. Of course the 8320 will destroy the i3 when it comes to transcoding, rendering, compression etc. The real problem I have with the fx lineup at this point is its age. If they had kept the platform up to date with the latest technologies (such as pci-e 3.0, m.2, etc) and moved to a new process node at least once I'd consider them budget friendly rendering chips, but unfortunately it's becoming harder and harder not to just recommend spending the extra 70 bucks for a xeon 1231 v3.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

snip!

ok, daddy is tired of you..so i'll grab the bull by the horn and ride you ok.

We DON'T say an overclocked FX chip can't play games decently, especially when talking about MODERN GPU DEMANDING GAMES such as witcher 3 or Battlefield's game for example...what we as an informed group think is that this dinausor of a chip^pull around 250W from the wall once overclocked to 4.5ghz like you did...and if you use 1920x1200 resolution with ultra details and 8xMSAA or 4xMSAA depending what is available yes you max out your GPU in such scenarios and i'm glad you do and it's all good for you...but what about THE OTHER GAMES?! you know...everything that was made prior to 2013 and that is a winny bit CPU intensive? or all those MMO's, RTS and RPG and other indie games the AMD FX really struggle to play? planetside 2? arma3? Dayz? hitman absolution? etc...what about those type of games that are CPU intensive as oposed to well optimised modern GPU intensive games?!

Also, you don't need an i5-4690K to beat an AMD FX in games...just an i5-4460 and a cheap board that support it...no need for aftermarket cooling or overclocking ready motherboard with this, it will pull 90W from the wall and output less than half the heat of an overclocked FX, it's also cheaper...here's the proof, after that HOW CAN YOU RECOMMEND THE OLD FX FOR A DEDICATED GAMING PC?!

Basic AMD FX OC ready kit vs basic locked i5:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($163.98 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($74.89 @ OutletPC)

Total: $263.76

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 15:42 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($176.88 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-GAMING 3 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($59.88 @ OutletPC)

Total: $236.76

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 15:43 EDT-0400

I'm defying you to find A SINGLE GAMING BENCHMARK in which the AMD FX-8350 clearly outperform an i5-4460...GO AHEAD...you won't find one...but the opposite is VERY easy to do because JUST ABOUT ANY CORE I5 CPU from SANDY-BRIDGE and up CONSISTENTLY outperform the AMD FX-8350 in JUST ABOUT ANY GAMES OUT THERE.

THE AMD FX WHETER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT SHOULD NOT BE AN OPTION FOR GAMING ANYMORE, it still is because AMD can't provide anything better...but the i5 perform better, cost less, consume much less energy and output less heat while not requiring an expensive motherboard or aftermarket cooling and come on a modern platform with an upgrade path and modern features such as PCIe3.0 namely.

DONE.

PLEASE LOCK THREAD

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Witcher 3 is a very well parallelized game, which is why the 8350 is a pretty good choice for it, especially with an overclock to 9370 levels.

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test

I'm glad to see more games becoming better parallelized. For instance, see the Black Ops 3 beta which also seems to be well optimized for octacores.

I hope the trend continues. I suspected we might start seeing much better optimization for octacores due to the consoles being octacores, which was the reason I hedged my bets by going with a Xeon E3-1231v3: to have hyperthreading in case the octacore optimization starts happening, but to have Intel cores with high IPC in case it didn't. But I'm also hoping the trend continues because I'm really rooting for AMD. The G3258 and the E3-1231v3 are the only non-AMD CPUs I have ever bought and I felt like I was cheating on a company I love.

Try parralellizing 1000 AI's on a field. Witcher 3 is a single player game, and lots of events are scripted enough to predict behaviour.

RTS, MMO games or less predictable games require IPC. Even in DX12, and this is where the FX series are just not well-equipped.

In the Ashes DX12 benchmark the 8370 lost to an i3, and that benchmark scaled well up to 6 cores.

However this thread was mostly directed to people recommending i3's with h81/b85 mobos over the FX-8xxx series that I have encountered here ^^.

well, that's reality, I could get i3 combo for about the CPU price it self.

and the reality it still perform better on certain games which require more IPC than number of cores (like Guild Wars 2, WoW, and most MMO which has terrible scaling with GPU, because the target is mass user, not PC gamer specifically)

on GPU bound games it doesn't even matter.

That's another thing:

People recommend i3's with H81 or B85 chipset motherboards instead of the 8320 and a 970 chipset motherboard and claim that the AM3+ is dead and there's no upgrade path.

It's true you can't upgrade the CPU without changing the mobo in AM3+ case. However would you really buy an i5-4690k or an i7-4790k with a H81/B85 motherboard? No sane person would...

What's wrong with using a 4790k with an H81 or B85 board? The thing runs at 4.2 GHz on all cores at stock. Now I wouldn't put a 4690k on an H81/B85 board and be stuck at 3.7 GHz on all cores though.

With an 8+2 VRM board to support it, it's not as expensive. You're marginalising inconvenient facts and misrepresenting arguments.

AMD FX stock cooler is also stupid loud. You need to factor in an aftermarket cooler if you're not wearing ANC headphones 24/7.

I personally never cared about the noise, running a Logitech G35 headset, I could have a helicopter in my room, don't much care :P

However I do have a very efficient aftermarket CPU cooler, a huge twin tower SilentiumPC Grandis XE1236v2 that I bought back in my Athlon days.

Constant 45-46 degrees under full load of 10 minutes AIDA64 stability test after 4,5 gHz overclock.

Anyway back on topic, what do you mean that I'm "marginalising inconvenient facts and misrepresenting arguments"?

I do not understand what do you mean, can you explain?

Depends on what you need. In most games it will perform better, yes. Of course the 8320 will destroy the i3 when it comes to transcoding, rendering, compression etc.

How would an i3 perform better in the games I put in my video? Have you watched it? Do you think the i3 would give more FPS?

In several of these games my CPU usage hits nearly 100%, if it hits nearly 100% on an overclocked to 4,5 , 8 cored FX it would max out an i3 easily, or am I wrong with anything here?

@i_build_nanosuits

Don't know why would you even mention the PCI 3.0, I know that you know it doesn't matter if it's 2.0 or 3.0.

Still, look at how these games run in the video (you probably didn't bother watching it).

Also, with this build you can overclock this FX to 4.2 gHz easily even on the stock cooler.

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor  ($136.99 @ NCIX US)

Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($69.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $206.97

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 15:58 EDT-0400

For the same price you can get:

CPU: Intel Core i3-4360 3.7GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($140.95 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: ASRock H81 Pro BTC ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Total: $199.94

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-08-29 16:00 EDT-0400

That won't allow upgrades anyway cause your H81 chipset is not worth using with a 4690k/4790k for example so you need a motherboard change anyway just as with the FX.

It also features a PCI 2.0 x16 slot just as the AMD one cause it's a cheaper motherboard.

What's wrong with using a 4790k with an H81 or B85 board? The thing runs at 4.2 GHz on all cores at stock. Now I wouldn't put a 4690k on an H81/B85 board and be stuck at 3.7 GHz on all cores though.

it just seems like a waste of the 4790k potential...

The problem is that Intel offers up much better performance compared to FX chips today. It doesn't even need to be all that expensive. The i5 2500k can sometimes beat the crap out of games. Not to mention FX cpu's are very crappy when it comes to emulation at times.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Just look at these gaming benchmarks and not tell me. How Intel is better compared to the FX chips. Am not saying it can't play games but it's much better for the price and performance not to mention the ability to actually upgrade to better CPU chips down the road. For FX chips you really aren't getting anything different when you do try to upgrade.

fc4_n_1920.png

acu_n_1280.png

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT