[Deprecated](waiting for Lock)

Original thread did not include science magazine link, but included third party article going over same information.

OP: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/393918-cheaper-fiber-internet/

OP Source: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/combing-through-light-may-give-us-faster-more-powerful-internet-180955705/?no-ist

The University of California at San Diego and the Qualcomm Institute at the same have developed a process by which they can transmit data through fiber optic lines as far as 7400 miles without any attenuators or repeaters on the line. As it sits, current fiber optic networks are so expensive partly due to the need for expensive and complicated systems peppered along the line to attenuate signal, reduce degradation, and improve integrity, sometimes as often as every 20 or 30 kilometers. This new process allows them to handle all these negative impacts on the signal through software filtering and signal remediation.

This could drastically reduce the cost of pushing fiber networks further, and reduce the cost of bespoke fiber subscriber lines. I have always said the future will probably be cooperative fiber optic investments, neighborhoods, developments, and commercial districts funding the installation of robust fiber networks and leasing to ISP's the right to use them in exchange for a percentage of the subscriber fees to recoup their investment. Forcing fiber into areas ISP's are hesitant to invest.

Sources:
Article: Popular Mechanics - Goodbye Fiber Optic Speed Limits
Abstract: Science Magazine
KnowHow Coverage: FF to 3:25

Damn, that's awesome.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

so a wider spread of fiber internet for less, im down

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

My question is.. why would they even say they did it without the help of attenuators? Those decrease the signal...

EDIT: Reread post. Makes sense, nevermind.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Nice!

And Fiber is currently getting installed in my City too.  ^_^  B)

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I can swear that this was posted a while ago.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I thought so but I couldn't find it.

EDIT: And I know the only references I have seen to it did not link to the original science magazine article.

Huh.     cool.    Although, one of the best darn youtube video thingy photo I've seen.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Huh.     cool.    Although, one of the best darn youtube video thingy photo I've seen.

I dunno if you watch KnowHow but horse head on the right is a Jesuit Priest, one of the hosts.

I dunno if you watch KnowHow but horse head on the right is a Jesuit Priest, one of the hosts.

nope never watched e'm. ( Exept for just now.) Man, wish fibre would come to my city. But, probs not gonna happen.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Yeah I think ArsTechnica did an article on this a month or two ago, was probably posted here somewhere.

Yeah I think ArsTechnica did an article on this a month or two ago, was probably posted here somewhere.

Did multiple keyword searches, couldn't find it. If you find it link it to me, I'll pull this one.

Did multiple keyword searches, couldn't find it. If you find it link it to me, I'll pull this one.

Here is the original article I think. June 25th.  Now I've gotta find where is was linked on the forums lol.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/combing-through-light-may-give-us-faster-more-powerful-internet-180955705/

And this is the original thread on this forum.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/393918-cheaper-fiber-internet/

THe google search on this forum is broken, i searched specifically for every term, San Diego, California, La Jolla, fiber optic, University of California, and on. But I was right in that the abstract wasn't linked to, explains why none of the searches for the researchers or the science magazine article brought anything up.

Close it down people! We're moving out.

Ive already read it months ago... Don't know where but its definitely months