Do you consider gaming a sport?

Jacktastic-Mofo

So by that logic, Baseball isn't a sport if I like to play in my spare time as a hobby.

While 99% of us on LTT play games only as a hobby, there are professional gamers who get paid to play, and are at the very top of possible gamer skill

Eh sure.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

That's so arbitrary. So overclocking could be a sport but fishing wouldn't be?

Why exactly do you say that Fishing would not be considered a sport? On the professional level, it requires skill, coordination, reflexes, a sharp mind, etc.

It's not particularly physically demanding though, but it could certainly be considered a sport based on a hybrid of "of the mind" and "physical", since strength can be an asset if fishing for larger fish.

Besides, literally everything defined by humanity is arbitrary to some degree. The definition adopted by SportAccord is logical, it has clear definition, yet is broad enough to encompass all the various "things" we think of as sports.

I mean look at Golf or Crocket - both are firmly considered sports, but don't really match the physical aspect all that well - a very physically unfit person can excel at both - just like fishing. Using the "traditional" narrow definition of sports from sites like Dictionary would exclude those activities from the definition.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Yes, Why? Well gaming has many championships for many different games, such as League of Legends, Dota 2, CS:GO, and those are only a couple! I think that because with the championships granting money and the different teams, there isn't mush difference between other sport championships and gaming. There's also the fact that people stream, almost like watching live football games from TV right? There are many similarities between games and gaming.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

Why exactly do you say that Fishing would not be considered a sport? On the professional level, it requires skill, coordination, reflexes, a sharp mind, etc.

It's not particularly physically demanding though, but it could certainly be considered a sport based on a hybrid of "of the mind" and "physical", since strength can be an asset if fishing for larger fish.

Besides, literally everything defined by humanity is arbitrary to some degree. The definition adopted by SportAccord is logical, it has clear definition, yet is broad enough to encompass all the various "things" we think of as sports.

I mean look at Golf or Crocket - both are firmly considered sports, but don't really match the physical aspect all that well - a very physically unfit person can excel at both - just like fishing. Using the "traditional" narrow definition of sports from sites like Dictionary would exclude those activities from the definition.

Because your quoted rules say "be in no way harmful to any living creature"

Because your quoted rules say "be in no way harmful to any living creature"

Ah yes, I forgot about that part - blame PETA and other animal rights movements.

To be fair though - many fishing competitions are catch and release. You catch it, get it weighed, then toss it back in. In that case, you could in theory say there was "no harm" done to the fish - at least, not permanently.

The idea behind that rule is so that things like Whaling, Seal Clubbing or Dog Fighting are not recognized as International Sports because they are "inhumane".

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

NO chess should also not be a sport whoever made that up is a bloody idiot 

gaming should be categorize as something else like i dont know cognizance game event and then shorten it to CGE, instead of mirgating to a sport channel games should have its own

lives on

BAKABT

this poll has surprising results

It's pretty evenly split. In the past, most times this came up, most of the forum users were staunchly against gaming being considered a Sport.

Gaming a sport?

You mean playing invisible tennis with oculus rift? Maybe.      Playing MiNeCrAfT ,   NO!

Nitpicking here but clearly you've never been a scratch golfer.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Nitpicking here but clearly you've never been a scratch golfer.

I will readily admit that my entire experience with golfing is limited to mini-put/mini golf.

Gaming isn't athletic, but it does share other aspects of organized competitions. Calling it a sport would be stretching the conventional understanding of the term, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done. It'd just have to be done with recognition that it was being done.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

Well, considering what others class as a sport and one or two Olympic events (That stupid horse trotting show thingy!) then yeah I sort of do class professional gaming as a sport.