PS4 and 4K TV

teeejay

Hey guys,

I am about to buy PS4 along with a new TV, I do own very old Sony TV (like 15 years old), it still works flawlessly, but it should go, it is just way too big.

I've decided to buy 4K Samsung UE40JU6472, since I like this TV, it has DVB-T2/S2 and dimensions are limiting factor for me.

But then I thought to myself, that I have never owned any console before and I want to play Last of Us, Bloodborne etc., so I also decided to buy a console.

And now I wonder. I know, that PS4 does not support 4K gaming, but how will it display games on 4K TV? That particular TV, according to Samsung representative, has HDMI 2.0 and 100 Hz panel. So will PS4 work with it? Let's say I want to play TLOU Remastered at 60 FPS, will that TV be able to display it? Will it display it at 1080p without some sort of degradation? Because native resolution is 4K?

Should I even buy a console? :D

Thank You

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

Probably better off just getting a 1080p tv and save some money(unless its a cheap 4k tv), the only 4k content is on pc atm.  

Im sure it would work, wouldnt be in 4k tho.

Probably better off just getting a 1080p tv and save some money(unless its a cheap 4k tv), the only 4k content is on pc atm.  

Im sure it would work, wouldnt be in 4k tho.

I know it would be better, but those TVs do not have specs and dimensions I need, you know :/ And this one is like 850 dollars here, where I live. So it's not terribly expensive, hell, my GPU cost more.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

I know it would be better, but those TVs do not have specs and dimensions I need, you know :/ And this one is like 850 dollars here, where I live. So it's not terribly expensive, hell, my GPU cost more.

lol my bad, i didnt even look at your sig!  :)  Eventually im gonna pick up a 4k tv, if for nothing else just to watch all my pc related youtube channels since alot are starting to put out 4k videos.  

So i say go for it if thats what you want, if nothing else could play some games thru your pc in 4k(single player preferably)

The 4K TV would likely upscale the 1080p signal it receives.

You might suffer from a minute amount of input lag.

The 4K TV would likely upscale the 1080p signal it receives.

You might suffer from a minute amount of input lag.

That TV has 21ms input lag, not that bad

I've tried my Xbone on a Dell P2715Q and it looks like garbage. Consoles cannot render games at 4K, PC's like evryone mentioned is the only medium that can natively handle content at 4K. Watching Netflix looks like a hairy ballsack, now my 32" 1080p HDTV looks better for consoles than my monitors (especially my 4K display).

Yeah it looks like sht, lol I also own the P2715q it looks dark and blurry.

I own an LG 4k TV. I use both native 4k and 1080p content. 1080p content scales perfectly. 2160p (4k) is exactly 4x 1080p, so it simply takes 1 pixel and spreads it over 4. It actually looks better than a 1080p screen of same size as there is no gap between pixels. Just make sure you turn on 'Game mode' as you dont want the tv to do any processing to the native picture. It will introduce lag and cause an odd blurring sometimes too as it tries to 'guess' extra pixels when stretching the image.

Summery; if you play the PS4 in game mode through HDMI, it will look the same, if not better than a 1080p native TV. I've done it.

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

So, I bought PS4, so far, I am quite happy with it. Games are pricey though, but in the end I do enjoy the couch-gaming experience! :)

So, I bought PS4, so far, I am quite happy with it. Games are pricey though, but in the end I do enjoy the couch-gaming experience! :)

The Ps4 isn't bad as consoles go. I've played my mates a few times. But still prefer couch gaming off a PC with Xbox one controller.

This is my 'console'

Spoiler
  • Primary PC (Photo editing and gaming on a 4k Monitor): Intel I7 4790k @4.5ghz @1.2v | 24GB  Corsair Vengeance Ram @1600Mhz | 1x Palit GTX 1080 JetStream| 480GB Crucial SSD | 2x WD Blue 500gb | Corsair RM1000 | Corsair 600t
  • Secondary PC (Gaming and watching films on a 42" 4K LG IPS TV @4k60): Inteli7 4790k | Corsair H60 | Asus H81l-plus ITX | 16GB Kingston Hyperx Beast 1600MHz | 1x GTX 980 G1 Windforce| 1x Samsung 1 TB 850 EVO SSD |Corsair CXM750W | Coolermaster Elite 130

The Ps4 isn't bad as consoles go. I've played my mates a few times. But still prefer couch gaming off a PC with Xbox one controller.

This is my 'console'

It looks nice, must be fun to build it.

But I went with PS4 for the exclusives, you know... TLOU, Until Dawn, Bloodborne and I kind of like Driveclub. And I do my PC gaming on 144 Hz, 1440p monitor :)

It looks nice, must be fun to build it.

But I went with PS4 for the exclusives, you know... TLOU, Until Dawn, Bloodborne and I kind of like Driveclub. And I do my PC gaming on 144 Hz, 1440p monitor :)

While i'd like to play TLOU, the others dont appeal. I have Project cars for racing, plus i have access to a back catalog of games stretching back years. I jumped from consoles last gen when the graphics were beginning to look a little long in the tooth. Never looked back. But i still prefer couch/controller gaming for most things over KB and mouse, other than RTS, tycoon and sims.

Spoiler