MSI r9 390 - 88 degrees on skyrim

RobDaBoss
Go to solution Solved by Curufinwe_wins,

im getting around 72 without side panel

There you go. Buy better fans or an aio cooler for either your cpu or gpu. Your case has plenty of slots if you get good fans to move air through them.

I personally prefer the venturi set, but if you don't have a window I'd suggest noctuas.

88 is ok.. GPUs r designed to go up to 100.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

88 is ok.. GPUs r designed to go up to 100.

That is their maximum temperature. Doesn't mean they're "designed" to sustain that temperature.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

What are the rest of your specs, including case?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

That is their maximum temperature. Doesn't mean they're "designed" to sustain that temperature.

Considering the stock configuration of the 290x from amd hit 95C and stayed there (while thermal throttling) during extended game play, it's pretty safe to say hawaii gpus are easily and actually "designed" to handle above 88C.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

What is the airflow like in your case?

For reference my OCed stock cooler 290 hasn't gotten over 85. It only has a slightly modified fan curve

What are the rest of your specs, including case?

i7 4790k, cryorig h7 cooler, 8gb ripjaws ram,1tb hdd, ssd, 5 fans total, 2 blowing on to gpu, gpu fan speed at 100 as well, nzxt s340

Skyrim pushes your gpu harder than other games especially when modded. Try making the fans spin faster...

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Considering the stock configuration of the 290x from amd hit 95C and stayed there (while thermal throttling) during extended game play, it's pretty safe to say hawaii gpus are easily and actually "designed" to handle above 88C.

Rekd

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/34.html

88C is a little higher than what TechPowerUp achieved.

theirs is oc'ed and mine is not and its still getting higher temps

Their temperature is 82C stock under full load. Even so, the OC temp load is only one degree higher.

Their temperature is 82C stock under full load. Even so, the OC temp load is only one degree higher.

look at the top there is a oc temp that is 83C

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/R9_390X_Gaming/34.html

88C is a little higher than what TechPowerUp achieved.

Sure, but no one denies the original stock Hawaii was even worse so who cares...

I mean I wouldn't be happy with it, but I'm never going to buy a hawaii chip in the first place.

290W tdp instead of its direct competition having tdps of 135-185W? No thank you. Even with non-reference models having closer power consumptions, the Hawaii gpu core is a bear and I avoid it like the plague personally. (But hey I like quiet builds so that's a little bit different.)

Also you should note that the 390 and 390x from msi actually have slightly different coolers.

The 390 uses the same one from the 980ti, and the 390x uses an even stronger one (notably that huge copper plate is absent if I remember correctly from the 390 version.)

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

look at the top there is a oc temp that is 83C

Which is still 5 degrees C lower than what you're achieving. I don't think your card should be hitting 88C under load. Have you tested other games?

Sure, but no one denies the original stock Hawaii was even worse so who cares...

I mean I wouldn't be happy with it, but I'm never going to buy a hawaii chip in the first place.

290W tdp instead of its direct competition having tdps of 135-185W? No thank you. Even with non-reference models having closer power consumptions, the Hawaii gpu core is a bear and I avoid it like the plague personally. (But hey I like quiet builds so that's a little bit different.)

Also you should note that the 390 and 390x from msi actually have slightly different coolers.

The 390 uses the same one from the 980ti, and the 390x uses an even stronger one (notably that huge copper plate is absent if I remember correctly from the 390 version.)

I would have returned my 390 but newegg doesnt let me :(

Which is still 5 degrees C lower than what you're achieving. I don't think your card should be hitting 88C under load. Have you tested other games?

bf4 85 degrees

I mean look. That is within 5C of what I would consider perfectly normal for a hawaii gpu. If you are really concerned about it you have two options.

1. Increase all fan speeds to 100% in the case.

2. Take apart cooler and reapply thermal compound.

Number 2 might get you 2-7C cooler depending on how good the particular job your card got on thermal compound.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

I would have returned my 390 but newegg doesnt let me :(

What 390 is that?

Edit: lol nvm

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

bf4 85 degrees

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try replacing the paste on the GPU or simply filing for an RMA with Newegg if possible.

If you're feeling adventurous, you can try replacing the paste on the GPU or simply filing for an RMA with Newegg if possible.

i already rma'ed this is my second r9 390

i already rma'ed this is my second r9 390

Can't verify these numbers with other reviews, but this website got 72C under load. http://www.bjorn3d.com/2015/06/msi-r9-390-gaming-8g-amd-300-series-with-a-custom-kick-from-msi/4/

Seriously though, this is the way Hawaii works. We have known that for nearly two years now.

I hate to say it, but yea that's pretty much exactly what you are going to get and while perhaps slightly higher than normal, isnt outside the reasonable range for that gpu.

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS