Upgrade from FX 8350 to a used i7 4790k ? Worth ?

Hi , I recently bricked my Motherboard 990FXA-GD65 , and I sent it in for return and I will get a new board , but then I thought about selling my FX 8350 plus the new 990FXA mobo and with that money I can buy the Z97 Asrock Extreme 4 Motherboard , and a used i7 4790k., I have 2000 dkk / 290 USD / 260 euro for a used 4790k , after that I have nothing left , would that be worth the upgrade ? With DX 12 , does it even make a difference that he i7 has better single core performance ? Maybe I can just trade my FX and mobo for a blue Z97 motherboard :D I am thankful for every response I get , if you know anything else I can do , let me knowpost-183680-0-09177500-1440056237_thumb.

*that is my Signature*

Yes.

Do it. Do it now.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I know most of you will just blind tel me , intel intel , but I need a solid reason to spend big buck on a new platform

*that is my Signature*

The single core performance is huge on the Intel. I came from a fx 6300 to an i7-4790k and it was night a and day difference. Best choice I ever made

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

I had a i7 3770 once , there was literally no difference in performance between it and my current fx , so I sold it and had more money for the gpu , But I hope that at least the 4790k will make a noticable difference , real wolrd , not benchmarks , 

*that is my Signature*

If you're just gaming and were happy with the performance you were getting with your 8350, I see no reason to swap to the intel chip.

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

I know most of you will just blind tel me , intel intel , but I need a solid reason to spend big buck on a new platform

Quite simply. The i7 4790K is better in every single way.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Depends on what games you play. If Arma .. then upgrade will be worth it. If Crysis which isnt much CPU heavy... you wont notice a difference.

Depends on what you do with your PC and what type of games you play.

If you like me and end up playing a lot of F2P non-AAA  titles, FX is BONED with really bad minimums..and inherent frame drops from FLUENT to FUCKED at any random time.

/You can blame software optimizations all you want, its still a problem.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I saw digital foundry making cpu benchmarks in games , but I am not only gaming , Cryengine , Zbrush and Sketchup , in Zbrush I hope it could give a performance boost , prob. my dream cpu would be the 5820k ,  but I have no money for it , when I upgrade to the i7 4790k , in what tasks would I see a difference ? Is it only th single core performance that is better in haswell ?

*that is my Signature*

I saw digital foundry making cpu benchmarks in games , but I am not only gaming , Cryengine , Zbrush and Sketchup , in Zbrush I hope it could give a performance boost , prob. my dream cpu would be the 5820k ,  but I have no money for it , when I upgrade to the i7 4790k , in what tasks would I see a difference ? Is it only th single core performance that is better in haswell ?

Single core performance benefits affect EVERY single program you can run, how much better is up to the programming and threading abilities.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

So how much of a difference would it make when we talk real world , I am probably going to upgrade anyways but , I am not sure how , I have 260 EUR I can use for a used 4790k. And No money for the Z97 mobo , when I sell my FX combined with my mobo , I might be able to work arround it , I just hope its all worth the hassle in the end

*that is my Signature*

yes. It is really hard to kill a CPU, and it is likely that there is nothing wrong with it.

Make sure it's a good cpu before you buy it though.

I produce music!

Note - That MANY people try F2P titles, they are free, and can be quite fun,... these lighter threaded titles give a better indication of how bad the single core performance of the FX's really can be, in comparison.

(Other games are better, some are worse)

Contenders,

My locked i5 4690 (3.5Ghz-3.9Ghz)

Mates FX 6300 @ 4.2Ghz

FX 6300 + R9 280 = 25-80fps lows>highs (Avg's 30-45fps with randomly inconsistent bad drops in scenes with heavy foliage (even set to low), which is HUGELY distracting!)

I5 4690 + R9 280 = 55-80fps (No bad minimums or drops) Perfectly playable at MAX details, nothing but a great experience.

This is World of Tanks, a LIGHTLY threaded title that only uses two-four cores, I've been on this for years, with MANY HW configs.

I took my mates 280 back to mine to see expected performance (saw his frame drops), with my PC, same GPU,..getting a constant 60fps with Vsync on, NO DROPS on my i5, a constant 60fps, or disabled Vsync and sit pretty with 60-80fps avg.

I went through his PC, its all setup fine, no nasties, all updated and good... There are many examples of lighter threaded titles doing the same thing.

So how much of a difference would it make when we talk real world , I am probably going to upgrade anyways but , I am not sure how , I have 260 EUR I can use for a used 4790k. And No money for the Z97 mobo , when I sell my FX combined with my mobo , I might be able to work arround it , I just hope its all worth the hassle in the end

Maybe I should get a 4690k ? Its hard to find a haswell i7 4770k / 4790k used for cheap coin , but then again , I need more than 4 cores :o

*that is my Signature*

JUST DO IT!

My profile pic explains your opinion

PC is Intel Core i5 6400, GIgabyte H170 Gaming 3, Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x4GB 2400Mhz ,Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB, WD Blue 1TB, NZXT S340, ASUS Geforce GTX 960. Fractal Design Tesla R2 650W. http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/793XNG. Graphics card choices don't always have to be dictated on performance. If you want the game stream and power consumption of the GTX 970 get that. If you want raw performance of the R9 390 get that. In the end we are all gamers, so what if your buddy gets an extra 5 fps? 

only a i7 would be a real upgrade , so , I will need o find a 4790k :(  , and I cant really save up , because when I sell my fx , I have no PC

*that is my Signature*

Maybe I should get a 4690k ? Its hard to find a haswell i7 4770k / 4790k used for cheap coin , but then again , I need more than 4 cores :o

You do realize that the 4770k/4790k only HAS 4 cores right? Hyperthreading doesn't magically create more cores, it's just a way of running optimized applications more efficiently on each

core. Most applications won't really benefit from this, at least not to any great extent. Some workloads do run faster with Hyperthreading though, but it's nowhere near 100% faster.

If you NEED more than 4 cores, then your FX8350 is a great CPU, and the Intels with 6 or more cores are very expensive.

You do realize that the 4770k/4790k only HAS 4 cores right? Hyperthreading doesn't magically create more cores, it's just a way of running optimized applications more efficiently on each

core. Most applications won't really benefit from this, at least not to any great extent. Some workloads do run faster with Hyperthreading though, but it's nowhere near 100% faster.

If you NEED more than 4 cores, then your FX8350 is a great CPU, and the Intels with 6 or more cores are very expensive.

You know that 4770K/4790K beats FX8350 in everything but who cares about cores

fx-8350 to 4790k was the best upgrade i've ever done on my pc. back when i did this upgrade i played a lot of skyrim and i remember how the fps doubled and stutters were gone.

i never overclocked the fx-8350 though and i instantly overclocked the 4790k to 4.8 ghz when i got it