Water Cooling on Plane

Go to solution Solved by VettleBolt,

if you can fly bottles of water around the world without them freezing then yes, a H100i will be fine

Hi!

I've found a gaming rig, that is compact and easy to carry, which is good since I travel alot. I know watercooling>air cooling most times, so I was wondering if it was okay to bring an h100i to a plane, and if several flights could affect its performance. Also, whenever I go to the states it is really cold, so if I happen to take the future rig there, would the cooling freeze? 

if you can fly bottles of water around the world without them freezing then yes, a H100i will be fine

"Life's too Short, Use Express Install" Express install subject to spying
                                        -Microsoft 2015

TBH this isn't a dumb or pointless question

-Microsoft 2015

And do people in airport security are used to seeing this? (I live in a 3rd world countyr so I don't know if they would freakout)

Hi!

I've found a gaming rig, that is compact and easy to carry, which is good since I travel alot. I know watercooling>air cooling most times, so I was wondering if it was okay to bring an h100i to a plane, and if several flights could affect its performance. Also, whenever I go to the states it is really cold, so if I happen to take the future rig there, would the cooling freeze? 

I would bring it as carry on but bringing to a cold climate is fine as long as your don't leave it in the cold, the unit does have anti-freeze in the fluid for transport or shipping especially in cold climates but if it does get too cold it can freeze and leak, that occur with some orders in the US and Canada where it was a very cold winter.

Its just a radiator with some fans going to a Copper plate mounted pump

its not like its extraterrestrial hardware

-Microsoft 2015

as long as the storage compartment is semi pressurized (which is almost all of them) than yes

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

i mean think a bout this. if the h100i was manufactured on a different country and flown to your house then.... tada yes it can survive a plane

I would almost guarantee that it was shipped from China via sea freight..

Depends. I've had friends try and bring back bottles of pop here from back east only to have them freeze, expand and explode in their checked baggage.

Here's something to consider.

From a similar plane (767) and written by a A320 pilot:

Conditioned air is directed from the cabin, so the air tends to be a little cooler by the time it reaches the cargo areas, which are also less insulated than the cabin. Cargo temperatures vary in our fleet.
The Boeing 767 maintains its baggage hold above 7˚C
, but the bulk area (where animals are carried) can be heated above 18˚C. Controlled temperature cargo bins are also available when temperature-sensitive goods are being shipped.

So your wine is unlikely to freeze if it only gets down to 7 degrees, but it's worth noting that in some exceptional cases (close to the outside, no insulation, extreme temperatures outside) it may cause some freezing. Your best bet is to insulate it with some jackets or similar, like you've suggested you will do. Odds are, it'll be fine.

It depends entirely on the plane. Best to call the airline and ask.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well, thanks to everybody!

You can't take it in your carry on and as such it would have to be in checked baggage meaning that it could freeze or explode, so I would not think that this would be a good idea.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|