Quality of Corsair's CX PSUs?

JaZoN_XD

So I've frequent(ed?) this forum for a few months and looks like that everyone thinks the CX power supplies aren't that good. Why is that? And should I worry because I have the CX600M and it's 1.5 years old? Thanks.

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle
  • Logitech G27 with pedals and H-shifter
  • TrackIR 4

So I've frequent(ed?) this forum for a few months and looks like that everyone thinks the CX power supplies aren't that good. Why is that? And should I worry because I have the CX600M and it's 1.5 years old? Thanks.

They have sub-par capacitors and more or less only designed to run at ambient temperatures of only 30C.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2015/01/21/corsair_cx750_750w_power_supply_review/

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

Should you Worry? No because your system A: Can't overclock the CPU and B: isn't high end. CX series are good for low end builds so like an i3 and 750ti but are very bad for say a i5-4690k and GTX 970

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

There's quite a lot of horror stories about that series of PSU tbh

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

They're not good, but they are serviceable, and some of the most reliable you'll find in their price range. Though I personally wouldn't touch said price range with a fishing line, I would rather have someone buy Corsair CX than Diablotek.

But do yourself a favour and shoot a little bit higher on a PSU.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

don't worry. They're not shit. You just get what you pay for. When I bought my CX500 there were not many alternatives at that price. Now you've got a lot of alternatives that are better made and/or cheaper

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

The CX PSUs are a great choice for basic PC use and/or anybody on a budget that still wants a relaible PSU from a great company. I have zero issue with CX series PSUs.

Main Rig - i7 5930K // Corsair H100i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // Corsair Vengeance 16GB // Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250GB + 1TB // MSI RTX 2080 Gaming X Trio // Corsair Obsidian 550D // Corsair HX850 // Acer Predator 1440p // Windows 10 x64

People being racist against CX PSUs :/ Had mine for almost a year on my high end system with no problems.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

no need to bother others review if you already bought one yourself and working fine

if the products works for you, then the target is probably for someone who's using their machine just like you.

PSU it self been avoided for someone who can't keep their temp room at 30c

but if it's fail you can always count on with their RMA services (which most people said are one of the best company for these matter)

The CX PSUs are a great choice for basic PC use and/or anybody on a budget that still wants a relaible PSU from a great company. I have zero issue with CX series PSUs.

If they want a reliable PSU there are other options that are better and cost the same

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

They're crap. Dead simple. Just had my replacement for my original pop a whole bunch of caps. And all it runs is an i3 3240 on a simple H61 board with minimal extras.

The first one that went took a GTX 970 with it.

Absolute junk.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Should you Worry? No because your system A: Can't overclock the CPU and B: isn't high end. CX series are good for low end builds so like an i3 and 750ti but are very bad for say a i5-4690k and GTX 970

i3 and 750ti are in the mid range, low end would be celeron and gt610 theres 1 low end, 1 high end, everything else is in the middle range.

i3 and 750ti are in the mid range, low end would be celeron and gt610 theres 1 low end, 1 high end, everything else is in the middle range.

I3 750Ti is low end... You really should get no less when gaming on a PC.

I5- GTX 970/390 is mid end

High End is a 4790k and Fury/FuryX/980Ti or SLI setups. Anything more then this for gaming is almost useless.

A celeron shouldn't even be considered...

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

And should I worry because I have the CX600M and it's 1.5 years old?

Is it a great unit? Not really. Should you be worried that it will die in a fireball or take half your PC with it? Also no.

I3 750Ti is low end... You really should get no less when gaming on a PC.

I5- GTX 970/390 is mid end

High End is a 4790k and Fury/FuryX/980Ti or SLI setups. Anything more then this for gaming is almost useless.

A celeron shouldn't even be considered...

I'm sorry but, there is mid end, when you look at a line is there a mid end? Pretty sure you mean mid range.

I'm sorry but, there is mid end, when you look at a line is there a mid end? Pretty sure you mean mid range.

Mid end Mid Range who cares. The point was that a Celeron and stuff isn't considered low end. It's considered STAY AWAY.

If powering the system in your signature then you're solid. If you ever upgrade that GPU get a nice PSU to power it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Mid end Mid Range who cares. The point was that a Celeron and stuff isn't considered low end. It's considered STAY AWAY.

It's not what you consider, it's what's in intel's lineup. Their lowend stuff is their celeron stuf, high end stuff is the i7s, everything else is part of mid range. i3's are on the lower mid range, and i5's on the higher mid range. And it's not like celeron's a crap, they do just fine for basic tasks.

It's not what you consider, it's what's in intel's lineup. Their lowend stuff is their celeron stuf, high end stuff is the i7s, everything else is part of mid range. i3's are on the lower mid range, and i5's on the higher mid range. And it's not like celeron's a crap, they do just fine for basic tasks.

From a gaming standpoint... Celerons are deigned for office use. I3 is Low end for gaming.

From a gaming standpoint... Celerons are deigned for office use. I3 is Low end for gaming.

What the heck is a gaming standpoint, intel doesn't make "gaming" hardware, they make computer CPU's and in their lineup, i3 is not low end.

What the heck is a gaming standpoint, intel doesn't make "gaming" hardware, they make computer CPU's and in their lineup, i3 is not low end.

Alright man go play some GTA V or Witcher III on a celeron. Tell me how it works out compared to an i3

If it's been running solid in your system for the 1/2 years, then there is no good reason to worry. It may be one of our entry level PSU, but it doesn't mean it's crap. Like what actual CX users stated above - for a budget PSU, it gets the job done. Plus, you have a 3 year warranty from us, if for some reason you run into any issues, you can always take advantage of our legendary support :)

If the money you have can only afford a Celeron and GT610, then why build a custom PC? At that price point you may as well get a pre-built.

In the context of custom PC building, an i3 with a 750Ti would be considered low end.

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/