Intelligent music thread!

TheMail

Define intelligent music.

Deep lyrics with complex significance

Might not be for everybody but Napalm Death has some of the best lyrics in music (subjectiv opinion)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiTxY7ZRZKs

And so do Dying Fetus

If you want something a little more mainstream, Frank Turner is a great choice

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Some Hank Green is needed whenever someone brings up intelligence and music. 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

This:

No, but seriously, it all depends on the listener. I would't go as far as to say that any music that uses metaphors etc. and is about any political/social or philosophical topic is intelligent. 

But continuing the lead from the first post, Rush has some good lyrics. Although I wouldn't necessarily say this is very intelligent, it does it's bit to shine a little light at both sides of some fairly common social debate.

This:

No, but seriously, it all depends on the listener. I would't go as far as to say that any music that uses metaphors etc. and is about any political/social or philosophical topic is intelligent. 

But continuing the lead from the first post, Rush has some good lyrics. Although I wouldn't necessarily say this is very intelligent, it does it's bit to shine a little light at both sides of some fairly common social debate.

Very good point, and I love the metaphors in that Rush song, even though it's a common subject, it's still amazing

Deep lyrics with complex significance

That then depends entirely on the person who is listening to it..

comprimise: highly poetic music

better?

Bleak-Opeth

Empyreal- Sylosis

Fear the World- Sylosis

At the gates of sleep- Insominia 

Black water park- Opeth 

Some of the best songs ever...better then this pop shit.

PC: Corsair C70 Arctic, FX 9370, Corsair H80i, Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3, Corsair Vengence 16gb, Palit JetStream GTX 970, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb and Western Digital Blue 1Tb + 500gb, Antec Gamer 520w

Peripherals: Logitech G19 and SteelSeries Sensei RAW

Toshiba L50-A: i7 4700mq, 8gb, 1TB HDD, GT 740M 2gb

Very good point, and I love the metaphors in that Rush song, even though it's a common subject, it's still amazing

I would probably like to separate between intelligent music and intelligently written music. There needn't be any connection between them, and the latter often gets more credit than the first one. 

Some music tries to be elitist by using obscure literature references or stuff like that which only "smart" people will get. What happens then is that it'll appeal more to a well educated crowd because they'll feel they understand the music and others won't. Thus the music will be thought of as intelligent, although it may not be, just because of the audience. This is a classic rhetorical way of dominating someone. There's an assumption that big words, references or technical phrases that won't be understood by most means that the ones who use them are smarter and are thus given more power.

In my experience, the smart ones are often the guys (or girls) that manages to communicate a topic they are experts on in a way to the layman so that the layman will understand perfectly what they're on about. This is btw something Linus is good at.

Couldn't agree more.

Also I'm going to have to post this, no lyrics but well have a listen :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mUuvgGnC4

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

this one might fit in here^^

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Might not be for everybody but Napalm Death has some of the best lyrics in music (subjectiv opinion)

And so do Dying Fetus

I can't make out a single word  :blink:

Poetic? This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPuozwmKNIs

You really need to listen.

Funeral for a friend is pretty incredible too. There's so much emotion in it, plus an awesome end :D:

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I can't make out a single word  :blink:

It take many years of training to figure out the vocals without looking up the lyrics.

Also I am somewhat disappointed in this thread. Nobody have posted any Pink Floyd yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxd3pZAVHI

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It take many years of training to figure out the vocals without looking up the lyrics.

Also I am somewhat disappointed in this thread. Nobody have posted any Pink Floyd yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpxd3pZAVHI

The Dark Side of the Moon album is incredible. A lot of underlying meaning in it. Love The Wall too.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

The Dark Side of the Moon album is incredible. A lot of underlying meaning in it. Love The Wall too.

You have great taste in music young sir :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Wow, this thread isn't what I expected.. only one Pink Floyd, and no one posted

Oh well, my favorite song which I think fits into this would be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw8PpYBiDsc

Stuff I have I like: Moto G - Superlux HD681 Evo - Monoprice 9927

90% of what I say is sarcasm.