4K Video - is it even worth it?

LinusTech

Amazon: http://geni.us/t5C

Should you upload videos in 4K? Should you watch videos in 4K? We answer these burning questions once and for all! (for now)

Linus, please ride the fire pole with your socks and sandals.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

I'd imagine 4K users love watching videos in 4K haha. Low percentage though. I'll be sticking with 1080P for at least another 5 years since I don't have the money nor really care. (Secretly I care, but don't want to admit it yet.)

blackshades on

Looks like the server was disconnected during your render - lots of assets are completely offline.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

I'm waiting to watch the video until it gets fixed (and I sleep), but I always feel the need to address the "if you don't have a 4K screen and watch in 4K, there's no point" comments, as they always IRK me.

PPI: Pixels per inch. Bitrate.

4K on YouTube has a MUCH higher bitrate than 1080p and thus will provide a better overall image.

4K downscaled to the 720p player, or your 1080p fullscreen means you're supersampling/downscaling (like DSR on NVidia graphics cards) and thus getting a more sharp overall image.

If you don't care about quality, then no it doesn't matter.

But your screen resolution is pretty irrelevant to what resolution you should watch YouTube videos in. There's still a difference between 4K and 1080p on a 1080p screen, or any size.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Wow, this was really interesting video.

Not sure how happy YT will be, if ppl with 1080p cameras start to upload in 4k, it may well be that YT will start checking for up-scaling and come up with restrictions.

As for me, I hate YT´s low bitrates, it completely ruins the asphalt when uploading my videos from racetrack, but not sure if I´m willing to go for more than doubled rendering and upload time. Never the less, this was an amazing video :) .

this is quite interesting, but it also confirms my suspision of 4K being quite overrated and not really viable.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

This was certainly an interesting video. I hope you can keep uploading content in 4k.

I'd imagine 4K users love watching videos in 4K haha. Low percentage though. I'll be sticking with 1080P for at least another 5 years since I don't have the money nor really care. (Secretly I care, but don't want to admit it yet.)

If you have the bandwidth you should watch in 4K regardless of your actual screen resolution. YouTube heavily compresses your colours and stuff at lower res.

If you have the bandwidth you should watch in 4K regardless of your actual screen resolution. YouTube heavily compresses your colours and stuff at lower res.

4K doesn't seem to work for me on youtube. I'll have to try again later because that has truth to it.

blackshades on

It's not surprising that you don't get much benefit of 4k from a GH4 

I don't like the orange background

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

This isn't youtube.

Close enough.

Cpu:

Intel i5 4460 Motherboard:Msi Z97S Sli krait Ram:HyperX Fury White (2x4) Storage:Seagate 1tb/Samsung 850 Evo 120gb Gpu:Gtx 960 2gb sc Case:S340 Black Psu:Corsair Rm 650w 80+ Gold certified

My anime list : http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KRImSIN

Like for the random windows sound 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

In the UK the GH4 isn't even qualified for HD acquisition by the BBC or EBU. I work in broadcast TV. The FS700 is only accepted if recording offboard, which you are.

Interesting findings on HD and 4k for YouTube.

My suggestion for workflow would be transcoding, editing with the proxies and then doing a conform to the native rushes before grading and exporting.

I'm waiting to watch the video until it gets fixed (and I sleep), but I always feel the need to address the "if you don't have a 4K screen and watch in 4K, there's no point" comments, as they always IRK me.

PPI: Pixels per inch. Bitrate.

4K on YouTube has a MUCH higher bitrate than 1080p and thus will provide a better overall image.

4K downscaled to the 720p player, or your 1080p fullscreen means you're supersampling/downscaling (like DSR on NVidia graphics cards) and thus getting a more sharp overall image.

If you don't care about quality, then no it doesn't matter.

But your screen resolution is pretty irrelevant to what resolution you should watch YouTube videos in. There's still a difference between 4K and 1080p on a 1080p screen, or any size.

finally someone gets it !!!!