Is it just me or are NVIDIA drivers getting worse and worse?

TrickyWitcher

With that extra $350 I'll get a new SSD, case and PSU. Not that 750W isn't overkill for the 390, because it is, but because my current PSU makes a loud annoying buzzing when starting up, and it lasts for 5 minutes before stopping.

A SSD will be nice, but the G2 is already pretty good, what other psu are you gonna get?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

A SSD will be nice, but the G2 is already pretty good, what other psu are you gonna get?

It's good, but that buzzing at startup is annoying. It kills me. I'm planning to get the Corsair RM750i, since it's made in mind to reduce coil whine. I honestly think I'll do this order:

1. GPU

2. PSU

3. Case

4. SSD

My Crucial M500 has a 6.7 second boot up time. Is that good? Can any SSDs do much better than that? Keep in mind my BIOS flash wait is 1 second.

It's good, but that buzzing at startup is annoying. It kills me. I'm planning to get the Corsair RM750i, since it's made in mind to reduce coil whine. I honestly think I'll do this order:

1. GPU

2. PSU

3. Case

4. SSD

My Crucial M500 has a 6.7 second boot up time. Is that good? Can any SSDs do much better than that? Keep in mind my BIOS flash wait is 1 second.

That's pretty fast actually

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

I've had no problems

GTX 960

Windows 10

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

My friend with 2x 980s has issues all the time with drivers crashing in Terraria, GTA V, and Chivalry. I have bizarre sound issues as of the past few Nvidia drivers (especially weird since I opt out of installing Nvidia audio drivers, miracast virtual etc) where when I pause music or quit skype or steam it'll basically just get stuck on whatever sound was playing for about a second (producing an obnoxious noise).

I had some pretty bad stuttering issues and lots of crashing until I did a full reinstall... Nvidia's install process is pretty messy and there were leftover registry keys and appdata folders everywhere even after uninstalling. So after deleting those manually and reinstalling the drivers I don't have game crashes at least.

My friend with R9 270 had stuttering issues once with GTA V... reinstalled the drivers and not a single issue since

My A-Data XPG SX900 128GB gets to login screen from the button press in about 6-7 seconds as well.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

Instead of getting the 390 which is a few years old now technically, just get the Fury when you return the 980 Ti.  God why get the 390...Pffftt.... 2 year old tech.

Of course I can't believe you'd prefer AMD's drivers to Nvidia's but to each their own. I have no issues with Nvidia at the moment. I stick with what works and do no upgrade every driver release on purpose.

With AMD I didn't upgrade either. If it's not broke, don't fix it.

For a while I was getting quite a few crashes no matter if I was gaming or staring at my descktop. Since installing the win10 driver I have yet to crash so things are looking up for me :)

I do find wow a bit stuttery but I believe thats my fault for letting my top card go over 90C while playing it (ops). Better cooling is on the way xD

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

running GTX780 no issues so far only one released driver previously lowered performance a bit but been fixed the same week...no issues since...flawless drivers Nvidia is AWESOME.

The Nvidia drivers have been terrible for Maxwell lately. Ever since 352.86 released in May you can't run Chrome with hardware acceleration on or the driver crashes a lot. 353.30 was another particularly terrible release, I had annoying crashes in Witcher 3 on my 970 that have been fixed by upgrading to 353.62.

It seems to me that AMD is better for drivers now.

AMD's Windows drivers are better quality. Stable, reliable, good performance across a range of GPUs, old models still get performance tuning etc.

On Linux Nvidia is ahead because of openGL gaming performance.

In general I feel that both Nvidia and AMD are decent with occasional issues. Neither is terrible, neither is outstanding.

It's a fluid thing (perceived driver quality). Nvidia may be having a bad run now but a year from now it's possible that things will be different. In general since both companies are ok I advise people to just buy the best GPU they can afford regardless of brand.

The Nvidia drivers have been terrible for Maxwell lately. Ever since 352.86 released in May you can't run Chrome with hardware acceleration on or the driver crashes a lot. 353.30 was another particularly terrible release, I had annoying crashes in Witcher 3 on my 970 that have been fixed by upgrading to 353.62.

Is 353.62 stable for you? Is Chrome good?

Im having no issues with my 970, and my cousin with his 970 haven't either.

But maybe we are exemptions.

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.

Is 353.62 stable for you? Is Chrome good?

I'm still running Chrome with hardware acceleration disabled, so I can't really say.

1. GPU

2. PSU

3. Case

4. SSD

That really strange. I have heard nothing but good about that PSU. I own one myself and its silent. Have you thought about exchanging it for another one?

And yeah that's a pretty fast boot time. I get 6.1 seconds with my 850 EVO.

The scores in JonnyGuru are about the same though, 9.7 for the RM750i and 9.8 for the G2.

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

That really strange. I have heard nothing but good about that PSU. I own one myself and its silent. Have you thought about exchanging it for another one?

And yeah that's a pretty fast boot time. I get 6.1 seconds with my 850 EVO.

The scores in JonnyGuru are about the same though, 9.7 for the RM750i and 9.8 for the G2.

Exchanging it for a new one would mean being without my PC for potentially a while. I'll use it it a spare build when I have enough spare parts.

Exchanging it for a new one would mean being without my PC for potentially a while. I'll use it it a spare build when I have enough spare parts.

Then buy a new one and return your current one!

First build every: Intel Core i7 4790K, Asus Z97-A/USB 3.1 motherboard, Kingston HyperX FURY 1866 2x8 16GB Kit, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970 G1 Gaming, Corsair Obsidian 450D Black ATX Mid Tower, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & 3TB Toshiba HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2, Corsair H100i GTX 240mm, Gigabyte Bluetooth 4.0/Wifi Card, Logitech G700S. Running on Windows 10

Surface Pro 3: i5 4300U with 8GB of ram and 256GB SSD. Running Windows 10 Pro

It seems that almost every driver since 347.88 has been riddled with crashing, stuttering, etc.

My SO's AMD build is having no issues on 15.7.1(Windows 8.1) and my 980Ti build on 353.30(Windows 8.1) is having a plethora of issues, from Chrome crashing, to games stuttering(mainly CS:GO). I also tried the latest, and it's even worse, so I rolled back.

It seems to me that AMD is better for drivers now.

AMD takes their time, and while it may be too much time, it also means that it's stable and usually offers a decent FPS boost.

NVIDIA may release quickly and efficiently, which is great for new games, but it seems to screw over current games and general usage.

I wish 347.88 supported the 980Ti...

I usually wait for a driver release with no problems before updating since the last time Nvidia was burning its GPUs, it was last year if I remember correctly.

I`m still running 350.12 no problems with my 970s on win 8.1

Main rig. Updated :D CPU: FX8350 @stock Cooler: Corsair h110 Motherboard: Ga-990fxa-ud5 Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 1866Mhz GPU: MSI GTX 970 SLI (blower cooler)  PSU: Cooler Master Silent pro 850w SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue Case: Thermaltake core V71 Fan controler: NZXT Sentry

Secondary PC: CPU: i5 4670k @stock Cooler: Thermaltake NIC L/31 Motherboard: Asus Z97I-PLUS Memory: Corsair Vengance 8Gigs 2133Mhz GPU: ZOTAC GTX 780 (Titan cooler) PSU: Antec 520m Pro SSD: Corsair Force GT 60Gb HDD: WD 500 Caviar blue & WD 2TB Green Case: Thermaltake core V1