How would I have 3 gpus all in one system?

I have a 280x, and two 660s how would I make a folding system with them. More like what mobo. cpu and psu do I need? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

In terms of motherboard, all you really need is any motherboard with 3 or more PCIe X16 slots. This one is relatively cheap on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157505

When it comes to folding, the general rule is one CPU core per GPU to prevent bottlenecks. And in the long run CPU folding simply isn't worth the power consumption, so your goal is the cheapest quad core you can find (within reason of course, an APU is not a particularly good idea). I'd recommend something like an i5-4460, but really any i5 you can get a good deal on will work.

All together, it looks like those three GPUs will peak around 540W, so I'd get any well known 600-700W PSU that you can get a good deal on. Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, etc.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

In terms of motherboard, all you really need is any motherboard with 3 or more PCIe X16 slots.

Only in length though - not the number of lanes. (My 660 Ti is running in a PCIe x4 2.0 slot folding)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Umm True 3 PCI X 16's are best but you can run it with X 8's and I heard the performance decrease isn't all that bad.

And APU's aren't bad cause once the DIrectX 12 sfr Rendering comes out but normal CPU's tend to be better.

Also With New Direct X 12 you can theoretically use any GPU with each other even between AMD and Nvidia.

http://www.pcgamer.com/directx-12-will-be-able-to-use-your-integrated-gpu-to-improve-performance/

Umm True 3 PCI X 16's are best but you can run it with X 8's and I heard the performance decrease isn't all that bad.

And APU's aren't bad cause once the DIrectX 12 sfr Rendering comes out but normal CPU's tend to be better.

Also With New Direct X 12 you can theoretically use any GPU with each other even between AMD and Nvidia.

http://www.pcgamer.com/directx-12-will-be-able-to-use-your-integrated-gpu-to-improve-performance/

this is for folding@home, not gaming.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

Like Godlygamer23 mentioned, I was referring to physical x16 slots. The number of lanes you can get away with varies from GPU to GPU, but with mid-range GPUs like OP's you can usually get away with a minimum ox x4 for folding. I was discouraging the use of APUs because of how much computational power is usually required to 'feed' multiple GPUs while folding. Could you get away with an APU while gaming? Sure, because modern games aren't all that physics heavy. But folding is literally JUST physics calculations, OP is going to need the extra single threaded strength of a low-end  i5. Its also worth noting that folding doesn't use or support DirectX, its all OpenCL.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

In terms of motherboard, all you really need is any motherboard with 3 or more PCIe X16 slots. This one is relatively cheap on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157505

When it comes to folding, the general rule is one CPU core per GPU to prevent bottlenecks. And in the long run CPU folding simply isn't worth the power consumption, so your goal is the cheapest quad core you can find (within reason of course, an APU is not a particularly good idea). I'd recommend something like an i5-4460, but really any i5 you can get a good deal on will work.

All together, it looks like those three GPUs will peak around 540W, so I'd get any well known 600-700W PSU that you can get a good deal on. Corsair, Seasonic, EVGA, etc.

this is for folding@home, not gaming.

Only in length though - not the number of lanes. (My 660 Ti is running in a PCIe x4 2.0 slot folding)

So could I get a cheap cpu like a i7 920 and a mobo for it and a psu and be all good? 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

should be, yes.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

should be, yes.

Do i need 4 cores? Could I go with A G3258?When I plan to do this build I will have an extra one laying around

Do i need 4 cores? Could I go with A G3258?When I plan to do this build I will have an extra one laying around

i would go for an i3 because of the 4 threads, but a G3258 probably could handle it. don't quote me on it though.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

When I fold on my 660 Ti, one core is consumed. According to Whaler_99, the core isn't actually running at 100%. The NVIDIA drivers just do a lot of polling. I would at least get a Core i3 to avoid any issues.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

When I fold on my 660 Ti, one core is consumed. According to Whaler_99, the core isn't actually running at 100%. The NVIDIA drivers just do a lot of polling. I would at least get a Core i3 to avoid any issues.

Ill sell the g3258 nad get an i3. Would getting an old i7 like a 920 be better than a i3 for folding and in terms of cost?

Ill sell the g3258 nad get an i3. Would getting an old i7 like a 920 be better than a i3 for folding and in terms of cost?

It'd probably perform better than the i3 overall. Would this strictly fold?

It'd probably perform better than the i3 overall. Would this strictly fold?

Yes. It needs to be dirt cheap since I have gpus already

Yes. It needs to be dirt cheap since I have gpus already

If you can get the 920 for cheaper overall and power draw isn't too much of a concern, it'll do fine.

If you can get the 920 for cheaper overall and power draw isn't too much of a concern, it'll do fine.

The lga 1366 mobos look like alot$. Looks around 130$

The lga 1366 mobos look like alot$. Looks around 130$

How much is the 1366 mobo and 920 together? An i3 with a suitable motherboard is about $220.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

How much is the 1366 mobo and 920 together? An i3 with a suitable motherboard is about $220.

About 160 usd

About 160 usd

Seems like a better deal to go with 1366 then, what motherboard is it?

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Seems like a better deal to go with 1366 then, what motherboard is it?

Not sure. I cant find a mobo with 3 way sli or pci slots. Maybe 1150 is better? 

Not sure. I cant find a mobo with 3 way sli or pci slots. Maybe 1150 is better? 

Well if you can't find any 1366 motherboards with the required specs then you could try searching for used 1155 parts, if that doesn't come in cheaper then you will have to go 1150.

Wait I forgot that AMD existed, FX4300 with one of these. Is about $190, so if you can't find 1366 or 1155 for under that then AMD would be the cheaper solution as opposed to 1150.

Spoiler

Well if you can't find any 1366 motherboards with the required specs then you could try searching for used 1155 parts, if that doesn't come in cheaper then you will have to go 1150.

Wait I forgot that AMD existed, FX4300 with one of these. Is about $190, so if you can't find 1366 or 1155 for under that then AMD would be the cheaper solution as opposed to 1150.

I will most ikely have a g3258 spare once my nas is done and I may need a better cpu. Not sure. 

I will most ikely have a g3258 spare once my nas is done and I may need a better cpu. Not sure. 

Need a better CPU for what?

Spoiler

Need a better CPU for what?

My nas. I am planning to have 8 wd red 3tb in it when does completely and offsite backup.