Battery Questions (Read intro)

Wind1000100

Hello,

I know this is the computer power supplies and cases section, but I'm sure there's people roaming here with knowledge on the questions I have in this thread, and I couldn't find a better forum to post it. Anyway:

- Running in this torch (click here), which uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery at a time, is there a real need for a 'protected' battery? Do you think the torch brightness will drop off noticeably when the battery is running out, so I wouldn't accidentally completely discharge it?

- While I am roughly 98% sure it does; do you know if the batteries sold at this site are legitimate and will provide with the full rating?

- Does anyone know if these batteries are genuine (I am fairly confident they are)?

If there's any other information you can provide me with that would be helpful in choosing one or two 18650 2600mAh/3400mAh, that'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Hamish.

I'm here to learn and help others!

Hello,

I know this is the computer power supplies and cases section, but I'm sure there's people roaming here with knowledge on the questions I have in this thread, and I couldn't find a better forum to post it. Anyway:

- Running in this torch (click here), which uses a single 18650 rechargeable battery at a time, is there a real need for a 'protected' battery? Do you think the torch brightness will drop off noticeably when the battery is running out, so I wouldn't accidentally completely discharge it?

- While I am roughly 98% sure it does; do you know if the batteries sold at this site are legitimate and will provide with the full rating?

- Does anyone know if these batteries are genuine (I am fairly confident they are)?

If there's any other information you can provide me with that would be helpful in choosing one or two 18650 2600mAh/3400mAh, that'd be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,

Hamish.

1° :  Un protected leads to explosions, just have it protected ( if the brightness goes down, it will be so gradual you won't notice, the voltage won't drop by 1 v when it gets close to empty, the voltage lowers gradually )

3° :  Idk, 3400 mah looks like a lot if the battery is anything like I would imagine, but they are probably fine ( the real capacity is probably closer to ~2800 )

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

1° :  Un protected leads to explosions, just have it protected ( if the brightness goes down, it will be so gradual you won't notice, the voltage won't drop by 1 v when it gets close to empty, the voltage lowers gradually )

3° :  Idk, 3400 mah looks like a lot if the battery is anything like I would imagine, but they are probably fine ( the real capacity is probably closer to ~2800 )

Thanks for your input :)

I have seen a video where Nitecore, Olight and another brand (genuine ones) were tested and reached above 3300mAh, closer to 3400. If it's real, I would expect to achieve very close to that, however I don't mind if it doesn't manage for some reason. I'll probably invest in a single 3400mAh Olight 18650, which would cost about $27 including shipping from BrightNite.

I'm here to learn and help others!

Also, the description of this torch says it takes a 2200mAh battery, but I don't know why it specifies one size. It would work with all (inlcuding 2600, 3400, etc.), right?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321630233468

For 18650 lithium ion batteries have a dead voltage of I think it was 3.3V so you wouldn't want to discharge below that or it could shorten the lifespan of the cell. Usually torches have a low voltage warning that comes up if it reaches that amount and needs recharging.