The Good, Bad, and Ugly of Windows 10 Privacy concerns.

Found this article and just wanted to share some information about privacy concerns. I know these kinds of articles have been shared multiple times already but here is another one.

https://www.petri.com/windows-10-privacy-concerns-are-overblown-but-perception-matters

Issues we have heard that are mentioned in the article:

Most settings in Windows—browser history, favorites, and passwords—are now automatically synchronized to Microsoft’s servers.

• Yes, it debuted in windows 8 and only works with a Microsoft account. What it is suppose to do is make things simple for users. Instead of needing to change settings and such every time we sign into a new PC, the settings and other things followed you to this new device.
Cortana collects even more data for Microsoft
  • Yes she does but ONLY if you opt in. When you first search from Cortana you can disable all of this stuff. You can at any time, if you enable cortana to disable her. By default Cortana ONLY searches through your PC and internet. You also tell her what you want her to know about you in the notebook.
  • Do not worry that when you turn Cortana stuff off and she still shows up in your task manager. It just means search is on.
  • Cortana only collects a device’s location, calendar data, app usage, emails, text messages, and phone call history if you let her.
  • If you already use Google Now or Siri on your phone then this isn't new to you.
  • Here is more information about Cortana's privacy. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/cortana-privacy-faq
Windows 10’s new feature steals your Internet bandwidth
  • I made this Bold because IT'S TRUE and is hard to notice!
  • Windows 10 is designed to use peer to peer networking technology to reduce bandwidth.
  • By default, in Settings>Update and Security>Windows Update>Advanced Options>Choose how updates are delivered the selection "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the internet" enabled. The "PCs on the internet" part is what will transfer windows 10 and apps update data from your pc to another pc somewhere that is not on your network.
  • This is NOT a security issue but a bandwidth issue. Your bandwidth will be used without you directly knowing about it. We don't know how much bandwidth or how much it will impact your internet connection.
  • Click on "PCs on my local network" to ONLY share windows 10 and app update data between PCs on your local network which does save bandwidth on your own personal network.
  • To turn this off click slider that says "ON" and it will change to "OFF"
  • If you’re using a metered connection this is turned off by default.
Microsoft assigns a unique advertising ID and Bing which collects data which is then sold to third parties to provide users with more personalized search results
  • This is true
  • It debuted in Windows 8
  • It's anonymous
  • Can be simply disabled in Settings>Privacy>General and click on the first slider to "OFF"
Wi-Fi Sense actually shares your protected Wi-Fi passwords with your friends
  • False, what Wi-Fi sense actually does is allow a friends connect to your network without sharing any passwords.
  • You must opt in and enable which network you want to be shared with your friends
  • Your friends do NOT get any passwords they simply just connect.
  • Your friends also must have Wi-Fi Sense enabled.
  • This I would find is actually more secure. Your friends don't get any password so your password is safe with you.
  • In my house we have a guest network set up with a simple password. I set up Wi-Fi sense to allow my friends to connect only to the guest network. Instead of them putting in the password they can now just connect as long as they are running Windows 10 or Windows phone 8.1 and have Wi-Fi Sense enabled.

If you have a smartphone then almost all of this stuff happens already to you. Microsoft is allowing you to turn things off though.

Share any of your Privacy concerns about Windows 10. I've read a few posts about this already and a few things I find valid while most I don't think are a concern.

I will be bookmarking this post to change some settings when I get Windows 10. Bloody Microsoft.

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I will be bookmarking this post to change some settings when I get Windows 10. Bloody Microsoft.

Most settings are fine and you can just look at almost all of the ones people are worried about under Setting>Privacy. So don't freak out but be aware of ones you don't want on like that peer to peer network sharing with people outside of your network. That should be on only for local by default but it isn't.

Cortana only collects a device’s location, calendar data, app usage, emails, text messages, and phone call history if you let her.

Really? Why don't you go and try to NOT let Cortana collect all that information while using her? Strange thing, but there are 2 options:

1- Using Cortana and giving ALL that info...

2- Not giving info because you don't Cortana. Something in the middle is not possible...

If you already use Google Now or Siri on your phone then this isn't new to you.

Yes, Google and Apple also collected tons of info... But not anymore- they were forced to stop collecting some of the information... And as I see limited collection of info is no problem with providing services like Google Now or Siri...

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

Really? Why don't you go and try to NOT let Cortana collect all that information while using her? Strange thing, but there are 2 options:

1- Using Cortana and giving ALL that info...

2- Not giving info because you don't Cortana. Something in the middle is not possible...

Yes, Google and Apple also collected tons of info... But not anymore- they were forced to stop collecting some of the information... And as I see limited collection of info is no problem with providing services like Google Now or Siri...

LOL who prevented google or apple from collecting something? Google collects more data then Microsoft does. They haven't stopped. I don't know what you are talking about.

Also, you can have Cortana disable just a few things. Most of it is combined into one setting though.

Also personally, yea I let Cortana know all that stuff. I have no problem with a Microsoft servers having this information on me. I trust Microsoft. They are very secure. Plus, we let them have access to our location all the time with maps apps. Google, Microsoft and other companies that use mapping services get your location. I don't trust certain apps or companies with my location but I do trust Microsoft. My calander, Emails and other stuff are all handled by Microsoft as well. So why would it matter if one more app from Microsoft had the same information they already have?

who prevented google or apple from collecting something?

I can't remember the exact word... It was something about people working for government and taking a decisions like this... Oooooo, I get it- they call them "the court"... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

I can't remember the exact word... It was something about people working for government and taking a decisions like this... Oooooo, I get it- they call them "the court"... 

LOL, ok what was the case? Who sued? Who vs. Google? What was being disputed? What was the out come? You only said "there was a case" and I never heard of one. Also where did it happen?

• 2 months later...

Erm, some of those settings are secretly turned back on. Like the email remote saving, and file system access by Microsoft.

TheRedDragon    |i7-5820k (4.2Ghz) || MSI X99S SLI Plus || Crucial 2x8gb 2133hmz DDR4 || MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti 6Gb || Sandisk 128Gb SSD || Seagate Barracuda 3Tb |EVGA 1000W 80+ Pltnm ||  

dossium.net >

Posts that won the internet - Verticle Mice