So are we ever gonna get that 8gb 970?

KarateHottie93

There was talks about it coming out almost a year ago...seems like now would be a perfect time to realese it.

There is still a group of people like myself who always run SLI/CF just because two cards looks cool. An SLI 970 setup with even only 6gbs of usable ram would be pretty hard for me to pass up.

Galax/Sapphire fanboy for life!

Hall Of Fame ♕ Owner's Club

Always supporting Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida!

plot twist they give u 4 gb of vram lel

Exactly lol lets actually get 4GB first ;)

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Haha I knew the whole 4gb on a 970 joke was coming...just not so soon.

There were RUMORS about it, not anything official.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

You mean 7GB 

Beat me to it lel

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Pls dont do SLI with 970

I doubt that will be some GTX 970 with more vram.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

no 7.5 ;)

Well they;d effectively be doubling the current 3.5 most people consider it to have, 3.5*2=7

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Pls dont do SLI with 970

I doubt that will be some GTX 970 with more vram.

Why? I have SLI'd since the 9800 GT days and have had very few problems. I have SLI 780 Ti's right now but sadly the memory just isn't enough these days.

There was talks about it coming out almost a year ago...seems like now would be a perfect time to realese it.

There is still a group of people like myself who always run SLI/CF just because two cards looks cool. An SLI 970 setup with even only 6gbs of usable ram would be pretty hard for me to pass up.

no, just get a 980ti.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

Why? I have SLI'd since the 9800 GT days and have had very few problems. I have SLI 780 Ti's right now but sadly the memory just isn't enough these days.

3,5GB of high speed vram, its a lot better to just buy a GTX 980 Ti or make CF with some R9 390.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

the quadro counterpart m4000 has 8gb vram 

The quadro/firepro almost always have more vram.

Spoiler

I just bought a 970 so if they release a 8gb model any time soon I'm gonna be pissed :/

CPU: I7 4790k  CPU Cooler: NH-D15 GPUMSI 970 4gb   Motherboard: z97 Gaming 5 PSU: Corsair hx850   Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8 gb  SSD: Samsung 850 Evo  Case: Air 540

Heyyo,

Huh? What talks? Sounds more like rumors to me tbh... They'd have to slap on more ROPs and stuff to support 8GB... besides, I still think that AMD should have made the R9 390 & 390X as 6GB cards. Cut down costs a little to widen that cost gap between them and NVIDIA. I doubt a 390X crossfire setup would run out of VRAM before GPU usage even at 6GB. Heck, even a GTX 980 Ti SLI setup struggles with GPU over VRAM and they are beefier cards than the R9 390X's Crossfired are. :P

Also, depending on DirectX 12? Memory sharing between GPUs could work great. I'm gonna test it out on my rig at home with Unreal Engine 4.9 and the Elemental demo which just got ported to DirectX 12... go go go GTX 680 2GB SLI setup!!! lol...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/429286-unreal-engine-49-directx-12-capable-right-meow

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

3,5GB of high speed vram, its a lot better to just buy a GTX 980 Ti or make CF with some R9 390.

I have CF 290x's in my AMD build and 4 gigs is still plenty of memory for it's uses.

I know the reasons to buy a single card but it's just not the look I'm going for lol. I simply just think a rig with only one GPU is rather ugly. I can't afford two 980 Ti's and wouldn't need two anyways. Of course I could get two 390's...but AMD on my P8P67 WS Revolution is a sin.

Heyyo,

Huh? What talks? Sounds more like rumors to me tbh... They'd have to slap on more ROPs and stuff to support 8GB... besides, I still think that AMD should have made the R9 390 & 390X as 6GB cards. Cut down costs a little to widen that cost gap between them and NVIDIA. I doubt a 390X crossfire setup would run out of VRAM before GPU usage even at 6GB. :P

Also, depending on DirectX 12? Memory sharing between GPUs could work great. I'm gonna test it out on my rig at home with Unreal Engine 4.9 and the Elemental demo which just got ported to DirectX 12...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/429286-unreal-engine-49-directx-12-capable-right-meow

Oh yes, the memory sharing sounds great but I'm starting to think DX 12 is just a myth that will never happen.

Performance will be abysmal by the time 8gb is utilized.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I have CF 290x's in my AMD build and 4 gigs is still plenty of memory for it's uses.

I know the reasons to buy a single card but it's just not the look I'm going for lol. I simply just think a rig with only one GPU is rather ugly. I can't afford two 980 Ti's and wouldn't need two anyways. Of course I could get two 390's...but AMD on my P8P67 WS Revolution is a sin.

Just because your mobo support SLI, you dont want to use CF? Even if is a better solution?

Spoiler

Just because your mobo support SLI, you dont want to use CF? Even if is a better solution?

Oh I love CF and honestly a lot more than SLI. While SLI gives me very few problems...CF gives me pretty much none ever.

I can't imagine mixing AMD with my Intel build though. I've always been an AMD only build or Intel/Nvidia build kind of guy. A lot my my reasons for the things I do obviously make no sense lol but I just can't change it.

It ain't happening. At least not now. Maybe when nVidia refreshes their maxwell lineup (IF they do) like they did with 400 --> 500 and 600 --> 700, then we might see higher vRAM cards, but I doubt the 970 would be rebranded, with all the hate that went around for them (despite many users stupidly defending it as being a fine card, when their defense of the card just proves it's ok for nVidia to sell that kind of crap again in the future).

You mean 7GB 

That's actually what would happen, considering the layout of the card. 

Oh yes, the memory sharing sounds great but I'm starting to think DX 12 is just a myth that will never happen.

It can't be done unless SFR is used, and SFR can't be used on current-gen nVidia cards. It can be done on XDMA-enabled AMD cards, I believe; but nVidia would need to set up their cards in a similar method, and that likely won't happen until Pascal.

So don't expect it anytime soon.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

It ain't happening. At least not now. Maybe when nVidia refreshes their maxwell lineup (IF they do) like they did with 400 --> 500 and 600 --> 700, then we might see higher vRAM cards, but I doubt the 970 would be rebranded, with all the hate that went around for them (despite many users stupidly defending it as being a fine card, when their defense of the card just proves it's ok for nVidia to sell that kind of crap again in the future).

That's actually what would happen, considering the layout of the card. 

It can't be done unless SFR is used, and SFR can't be used on current-gen nVidia cards. It can be done on XDMA-enabled AMD cards, I believe; but nVidia would need to set up their cards in a similar method, and that likely won't happen until Pascal.

So don't expect it anytime soon.

Haha at least that gives me another reason to be proud of my biased towards AMD.