A warning to those who want a Razer mouse.

KingKeith55

This is just I guess a little information for people who are seeking to purchase a Razer mouse. Not talking about anything here but mice.

Alright, first off this is sort of a rant. Second, other people might have better experiences with them. And third, there's more than just a rant here. There's some alternate suggestions based on my experience. I decided to write this because, oh wow the left mouse button now has a crack through the middle of it from just a few hours of light gaming. And apparently the buttons are made of really cheap plastic.

I purchased a Razer Abyssus just about several months ago, and over the time that I have owned it I have been regretting buying it.

I understand Razer has a huge reputation for making good gaming gear, and in fact many professional competitive e-sports players using them. I will give it to them, they do design good mice but the quality is something that is absolutely horrible, and who the hell wants to use a cloud based software for MOUSE SETTINGS. Like really?

A few things to note before buying one:

- You have to use a software driver in order to use the mouse with all the settings and features. With my specific mouse if I do not run the driver there is no sensitivity options. Oh, and it's cloud based to boot. And from my experience if you don't have the software running in the background the mouse will not have your desired settings. Way to go Razer.

- The quality of their newer products is bad. Might just be me, but for "Gaming" gear I don't expect my left mouse button to have a crack through the middle from average gaming use. I used an old Logitech mouse for 5 years and it never had even a single physical issue (such as a crack or a spongy mouse button, I don't know), and the only reason I got a new mouse is because of that mouse starting to have issues with the mouse button (to be expected from 5 years of mid-heavy gaming on an OFFICE (non gaming) mouse.)

If you want to look at "gaming" mice, I would suggest looking at Logitech. Zowie also has some great mice (FK series) that are pretty popular in competitive gaming use (for those CS:GO ESEA players or whatever), but I can't vouch for them as I don't own one and never have. I personally only can recommend Logitech and Microsoft mice as those are the only mice I really used in the past. Microsoft mice are really nice in general, and if you want just a basic mouse then go with Microsoft. I would also avoid Steelseries as my friend Sean used to own one, which had countless driver issues and other problems along the way (Which I had to fix since he doesn't know anything about that sort of thing).

Anyways, if you feel the need to; please take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I understand that maybe others have had really good experiences with the mice. But this goes out to inform people of Razer's new lack of quality control and all the things that you probably won't like about it. I would also advise looking at other people's reviews on Razer mice.

TLDR:

What mouse to get? 

qLQ0Tf2.gif

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

this is irrelevant cause everyone knows that logitech and corsair mouses are the way to go :D

This is just I guess a little information for people who are seeking to purchase a Razer mouse. Not talking about anything here but mice.

Alright, first off this is sort of a rant. Second, other people might have better experiences with them. And third, there's more than just a rant here. There's some alternate suggestions based on my experience. I decided to write this because, oh wow the left mouse button now has a crack through the middle of it from just a few hours of light gaming. And apparently the buttons are made of really cheap plastic.

I purchased a Razer Abyssus just about several months ago, and over the time that I have owned it I have been regretting buying it.

I understand Razer has a huge reputation for making good gaming gear, and in fact many professional competitive e-sports players using them. I will give it to them, they do design good mice but the quality is something that is absolutely horrible, and who the hell wants to use a cloud based software for MOUSE SETTINGS. Like really?

A few things to note before buying one:

- You have to use a software driver in order to use the mouse with all the settings and features. With my specific mouse if I do not run the driver there is no sensitivity options. Oh, and it's cloud based to boot. And from my experience if you don't have the software running in the background the mouse will not have your desired settings. Way to go Razer.

- The quality of their newer products is bad. Might just be me, but for "Gaming" gear I don't expect my left mouse button to have a crack through the middle from average gaming use. I used an old Logitech mouse for 5 years and it never had even a single physical issue (such as a crack or a spongy mouse button, I don't know), and the only reason I got a new mouse is because of that mouse starting to have issues with the mouse button (to be expected from 5 years of mid-heavy gaming on an OFFICE (non gaming) mouse.)

If you want to look at "gaming" mice, I would suggest looking at Logitech. Zowie also has some great mice (FK series) that are pretty popular in competitive gaming use (for those CS:GO ESEA players or whatever), but I can't vouch for them as I don't own one and never have. I personally only can recommend Logitech and Microsoft mice as those are the only mice I really used in the past. Microsoft mice are really nice in general, and if you want just a basic mouse then go with Microsoft. I would also avoid Steelseries as my friend Sean used to own one, which had countless driver issues and other problems along the way (Which I had to fix since he doesn't know anything about that sort of thing).

Anyways, if you feel the need to; please take everything I say here with a grain of salt. I understand that maybe others have had really good experiences with the mice. But this goes out to inform people of Razer's new lack of quality control and all the things that you probably won't like about it. I would also advise looking at other people's reviews on Razer mice.

Bought the original naga epic.. great mouse still working to this day no problems :)... bought another one of the newer mice and had HELL!!! broke in minutes.... returned to store and got another one.. driver issues. Contacted razer that didnt answer for two weeks. when they did they answered with " try reinstalling"      I said in my original email that i had tried reinstalling multiple times... STAY AWAY FROM THERE NEW STUFF.

TX10 Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/456229-tx10-build-log/

Case: TX10-D   Proccessor: i7-5820k   MotherBoard: Asrockx99 Extreme4   Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (DDR4-2400)   GPU: Asus Strix OC 980ti   Storage: 850pro 500gb, 850pro 500gb, 850pro 256gb, WD black 16tb total, Silicon Power S60 120GB   PSU: Seasonic snow silent 1050   Monitors: Three of Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0"

this is irrelevant cause everyone knows that logitech and corsair mouses are the way to go :D

If you continue to trust Logitech's quality to be what it used to, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

All I currently have is a g13 and a g600 from them atm, but I've dealt with other mice and their horrid g710+

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

lol Razer Synapse is complete bollocks xD I was almost relieved when my Mamba finally bit the dust so I could finally uninstall that piece of shit.

Which brings me into another disagreement with you -- my Razer Mamba bit the dust. It was an extremely comfortable mouse to use, it had a nice weight, the battery life was good, there was no noticeable latency, but none of this matters when the build quality is so poor.

I've changed it out for a Cyborg RAT 9 and it's a very good mouse apart from the battery life. It's somewhat mitigated by the one-in-use-one-charging idea, but it's nothing like as good as the Mamba's battery life.

Edit: it's worth noting that I could never get the firmware updated on the Mamba. Even going through the process of booting into Safe Mode and turning off Windows safeguards (its official firmware and drivers are not signed) I could never get the process to finish. So that's shit.

Love my original Naga, the first one.. and it's the best one. Still kicks after all these years and I can't tell you how many raids its been through, how many FPS matches... or even how many builds. I keep it for nostalgia but honestly I am going to retire it and put it on my dresser as a memory soon. 

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ PROJECT: GreenLANTERN (click to view)

If you continue to trust Logitech's quality to be what it used to, you're gonna be sorely disappointed.

All I currently have is a g13 and a g600 from them atm, but I've dealt with other mice and their horrid g710+

Honestly, i only own corsair mice. Never tried logitech. Just heard good stuff about the one with 11 buttons of whatever. Don't remember the name but i just didn't want to start a debate if i just said corsair alone.

Love my original Naga, the first one.. and it's the best one. Still kicks after all these years and I can't tell you how many raids its been through, how many FPS matches... or even how many builds. I keep it for nostalgia but honestly I am going to retire it and put it on my dresser as a memory soon. 

I have an original Naga and the sensor randomly stops tracking horizontal movement and the left button registers 2 clicks instead of one over half the time. I'm really disappointed because it fits my hand very well, it has a great design.

Honestly, i only own corsair mice. Never tried logitech. Just heard good stuff about the one with 11 buttons of whatever. Don't remember the name but i just didn't want to start a debate if i just said corsair alone.

Coming from an MMO7 that was plagued with problems left, right, center, upside down, and inside out - not to mention a complete lack of customer support), I had a hard time deciding between the G600 (the one with the grid of buttons on the side) and the Corsair m95.

Through my research, they seemed to rival themselves in quality, but the G600 edged out the m95 on the basis that it's software was more intuitive.

You can see the track record of Razer products through the last four or so years. It's been on a downhill slope. I am VERY hesitant to even consider Razer any longer. this seems to be a common theme throughout most, if not all of their products.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Coming from an MMO7 that was plagued with problems left, right, center, upside down, and inside out - not to mention a complete lack of customer support), I had a hard time deciding between the G600 (the one with the grid of buttons on the side) and the Corsair m95.

Through my research, they seemed to rival themselves in quality, but the G600 edged out the m95 on the basis that it's software was more intuitive.

You can see the track record of Razer products through the last four or so years. It's been on a downhill slope. I am VERY hesitant to even consider Razer any longer. this seems to be a common theme throughout most, if not all of their products.

I love my g600. It's not without problems, but the 2 rows of buttons make it really easy to know what you are hitting, and intuitively make them feel like...g17 is up and g20 is down...you know?

I use it for photoshop and a lot of other editors, and I like it. For PS I bind stuff like zoom, brush size, color switch for blending layers, ect

muh specs 

All parts black

Deathadder 3.5g master race.  3 years and counting 

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

I'm gunna buy one of their mousepads. Wouldn't ever buy a mouse from them, or any audio products. Keyboards are very, very debatable.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

Keyboards and audio devices are completely shit 

I would debate mouse quaility because the deathadders that are currently being made have really nice thick plastic compared to that of the G402 or G303. They aren't cheap feeling but similar to that of the Zowie mice because it's a thick plastic with grainy texture to it. There software is no doubt complete utter shit but the deathadder is a pretty good mouse from them. Mamba TE is debatable as they are new but you shouldn't shove off razer when it comes to the deathadder. 

Logitech Gaming Software > Razer Synapse

I am avoiding Razer simply because I don't like their "cloud" connected driver and macro application.

Also my Naga 2012 barely lasted a year, my G600 on the other hand is on its 3rd year and still going strong.

That is because 3888 only has two native steps, 1800 and 3500cpi.

An issue that i see is actually the Location, NA essentially gets the pleb treatment because its console dominated and mostly the ultra cheap stuff sells, and even gets recommended by some people here on the forums, not to mention that if sales are going slowly chances that you are getting one of the earliest batches are quite high.

Got a Mamba 2012 last year, battery blistered and it's out of warranty (I think)...

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Their older products were good from what I hear, I actually got a Razer mouse because a friend who bought one around 4 years ago reccomended it to me. He still uses his to this day, mine lasted only several months. Yes, the plastic is not super thin but the actual plastic itself is really weak.

• 4 years later...

Going to necro the crap out of this but want to both +1 and add some information to it. The same thing happened to my Razer Deathadder Elite, which is by and large considered to be a decent mouse, but went so far as to completely snap all the way through. That being said, I don't think it was so much a quality control issue as much as the mouse not being good for my grip style and hand size. I have been asking around of people who have had the same thing happen to them and so far it has been pretty conclusive that it is from using a claw grip while clicking along the outside edge and above the M4/M5 buttons. I didn't think about it until I stumbled across a Reddit post that I will copypasta here as it makes a lot of sense and will inform my mouse purchasing decisions going forward. That is my ultimate goal of resurrecting such an old thread. Hopefully other people with a similar grip will be able to keep it in mind when they are getting a new mouse.

"This happens if you are used to placing your finger/applying force at the very edge of the button.

It's a habit that will definitely limit either the lifespan of your mice or the options you have when choosing your mice.

To stop this from happening to your future mice, you should look into mice that doesn't use the micro-switch as the stopper for the left/right click so the tip of the micro-switch won't act as a fulcrum to break the button plate. Abyssus, DeathAdder, and Taipan are all prone to breaking in similar manner (Maybe not DeathAdder since its curved top shell does give it some extra structural strength). As far as I know, Ouroboros, Orochi, and Naga have extended front end that makes contact with the top shell when you press the button all the way down (no gap between the top shell and the main body of the mouse). You shouldn't encounter the same problem if you use mice with that kind of design."