Is there a correct way to unplug/plug-in a desktop PC?

EdwardERS

So you have a desktop tower with a 500W power supply. There's an on/off switch on the back of the PSU. The PSU has a detachable AC power cable that plugs into surge protectors or wall power outlets.

Let's say you need to move your PC. You click Start > Shutdown, then wait for your PC to turn off and go quiet. Afterwards, what do you do next? Do you simply unplug the power cable from the wall like anything else, what about the On/Off switch on the back of the PSU?

When I move my PC, after powering down, I unplug from the outlet, detach the power cable from the PSU so it doesn't dangle, then flip the switch on the back of the PSU to OFF.

After moving I flip the PSU switch to ON, attach the power cable, then plug it into the outlet (I do this most of the time). Does it make a difference the order in which plug or unplug the cables? Does the switch on the PSU ever need to be turned off as long as you're not working inside the chassis?

The other day I plugged in the power cable to the PSU, then to the surge protector outlet, then I flipped the switch on the PSU because I turn it off while moving. There was this spark noise that came from the PSU, similar to what you hear when plugging in a 2-3 prong AC plug to an outlet sometimes, but it came from the PSU point.

Logically it seems like you'd want the spark to not happen at all or happen as far way from the device as possible. If I switched off my surge protector every time I wanted to reconnect a device -- which isn't that often -- I'd have to reset a clock on the desk.

What's convenient and safe? What's unnecessary or not safe? When does it matter?

Use both hands. Message it out gently. 

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Turn off PC naturally. Switch off PSU. Unplug it. That's the safe way.

pretty much this. 

tough i have never experienced my PC breaking if i don't turn off my PSU first.

Turn off PC naturally. Switch off PSU. Unplug it. That's the safe way.

pretty much this. 

tough i have never experienced my PC breaking if i don't turn off my PSU first.

If that's how you unplug, what's the order when hooking it up?

Would it be switch on PSU, then plug the cable into the outlet?

Any opinions on spark sounds from the PSU after switching it ON after the cable is already in the wall? That sound from the PSU is concerning because the surge is closer to the device than it would be from the outlet.

If that's how you unplug, what's the order when hooking it up?

Would it be switch on PSU, then plug the cable into the outlet?

Any opinions on spark sounds from the PSU after switching it ON after the cable is already in the wall? That sound from the PSU is concerning because the surge is closer to the device than it would be from the outlet.

I'd plug it in  - then turn it on -  then switch on the PC with the power button.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I'd plug it in  - then turn it on -  then switch on the PC with the power button.

Tease it in the hole, then turn on the power, then let it all crescendo into UNLIMITED POWWWAAA!!!

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS