tried 4 headphones under 175$ / 160€ (this one was the best)

MLG420SwagYolo

Best Sound:

1. Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm (Limited Edition "black")  = a bit bassy imo a perfect bass also good clear sound , no Need to EQ /noob friendly      (OPEN HEADPHONE)

2. AKG K612 Pro = analytical flat , can maybe be EQ'd nicely.   (OPEN HEADPHONE)                                                                             

3. Audiotechnica ATH M50X = clear Sound but they personally reminded me of crappy beats headphones just style and no good Sound.  (Closed HEADPHONE)

4. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro = muddy Sound, but nice comfort, a bit bassy.  (Closed HEADPHONE)

Best Comfort:

1. AKG K612 Pro = best biggest earcups and also so lightweight.

2. Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro 250 Ohm (Limited Edition "black")

3. Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro

4. Audiotechnica ATH M50X

personally i found that the ath m50x's and the custom one pro's dont even belong in the +100€ section, they just Sound bad.

the akg k612 pro and beyerdynamic dt-990 pro 250 ohm had nice Sound and also nice comfort, the only big minus was that both had a fixed cable, while the other "cheaper sounding" ones (athm50x and custom onepro) had a replacable cable.

so i guess Options sometimes sacrifice something :P.

so i wouldnt recommend either of These 2 last ones.

but AKG K612 Pro if you want to EQ your Sound and like it more flat at the beginning and clear, and nice easy comfort, and if you're more of a bass Person (lightweight basshead) then i definetely recommend the dt 990 pro's 250 ohm.

im using These on my onboard soundcard (got a asus z97 progamer Mainboard, so it Supports <300 Ohm Headphones) but im gonna get a Soundcard so i can Play Surround with my Stereo Headphones, thats why i wanted open headphones , but i also tried some closed ones that were recommended to me.

also i can say that the dt-990 pro's definetely dont have a strong clampingforce and i have a big head and average ears. they are a bit heavier than the akg k612 pro's.

my personal favourite and winner was the DT-990 PRO 250 Ohm by beyerdynamic. i recommend it, also the limited Edition has no coiled cable, but a Long cable, thats very nice, not sure about the original one.

the akg's k612 pro are definetely a nice pair too, i wouldnt recommend them for electronic Music tho even with EQ the bass sounds weak, but definetely a must have if you Need a flat pair, the best flat pair i ever heard.

also im telling you this because maybe you had Trouble finding a good headphone under 160€ with all those fakereviews/sellouts/lies whatever, of Course i could be lying too, but trust me im not :D

What did you use to drive these? The K612 is obviously the best headphone in the price range, however it is also the most likely to need dedicated power.

What did you use to drive these? The K612 is obviously the best headphone in the price range, however it is also the most likely to need dedicated power.

well i used my onboard sound (mainboard) plugged it directly into them , nothing else, but my onboard sound is kindah special it has a headphone amp (<300ohm) so its fine.

maybe they would sound better on a better soundcard or dac obviously. no question there, but right out of the box, the dt-990 pro 250 ohm sounded warmer to me and more bass.

the akg k612 pro , was more flat more analytic, probably better for studiomonitoring.

simply said, the dt 990 pro 250 ohm was more fun.

well i used my onboard sound (mainboard) plugged it directly into them , nothing else, but my onboard sound is kindah special it has a headphone amp (<300ohm) so its fine.

Not all headphone amps are created equal. While you may not have had issues, some other motherboard headphone amps might not be up to the job.

"personally i found that the ath m50x's and the custom one pro's dont even belong in the +100€ section, they just Sound bad."

FINALLY someone that has actually compared m50x's to other things.

Everyone else on here just spouts off about how good m50x's are after they switch from gaming headsets, and never bother to compare them to COMPETITORS.

@SSL I have a dream... Where all headphone amps will be created equal....

:P

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Not all headphone amps are created equal. While you may not have had issues, some other motherboard headphone amps might not be up to the job.

yeah definetely its hard to drive the 250 ohm ones, BUT you could just get a soundcard with it, if you want to game just get the creative soundblaster Z its just 70€ / 85$ and even comes with a microphone if you need it ( but its not that great , using a "samson meteor mic" 65€ / 80$ ) so all in all it would be like 230€. plus creative (this card at least) supports all features for gaming hardwarewise. i bet it also improves your music, better than onboard by far i heard.

or if you have one of the newer mainboards , i have a z97 , then you should be fine "MAYBE", depends on the motherboard once again.

but basically you only need a soundcard which can handle 250 ohm at least to get the full potential.

but basically you only need a soundcard which can handle 250 ohm at least to get the full potential.

Pretty sure the impedance is way less important the sensitivity.

Pretty sure the impedance is way less important the sensitivity.

pretty sure only like 1 in 10 people on here know that :(

Y nobody read pinned topics and educate demselves man...

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

yeah definetely its hard to drive the 250 ohm ones, BUT you could just get a soundcard with it, if you want to game just get the creative soundblaster Z its just 70€ / 85$ and even comes with a microphone if you need it ( but its not that great , using a "samson meteor mic" 65€ / 80$ ) so all in all it would be like 230€. plus creative (this card at least) supports all features for gaming hardwarewise. i bet it also improves your music, better than onboard by far i heard.

or if you have one of the newer mainboards , i have a z97 , then you should be fine "MAYBE", depends on the motherboard once again.

Well, like what @SSL said, impedance matters way less than sensitivity. You can have like 300 ohm headphones, but if they are like 100 db/mw sensitivity or like 97 or 98, they can run rather well even on iDevices (amping is only a necessity if you think its not loud enough)

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

I guess learning is hard.

I guess learning is hard.

Even so, if they don't know something, they shouldn't say it.

I mostly only say stuff I know.

I know a bunch of stuff about audio. But there is a bunch I don't know. And I don't comment on that stuff

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."