Project SunkisTt - Chrome Frame, Candy Paint (Completed)

ThermalMike

Hey everyone!

Name is Mike Fierheller, I have been an enthusiast for many years and have been working in the PC industry for 10 years. I really wanted to show something that both I would enjoy as well as show off some new liquid cooling components Thermaltake has been introducing this year from the New Pacific Series.

Project SunkisTt

Dock%201.jpg

Thank you to my Sponsors:

Thermaltake

_%20Thermaltake%20Logo%20White.jpg

Avexir

_%20AVXIR%20Logo.png

BS Mods

_20BS20mods.jpg

Mayhems

_%20Mayhems%20Logo.jpg

Parts List:

Case: Thermaltake Core V71

CPU: Intel Core i7 4770K

Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified

RAM: Avexir Core Series 4GB x4 DDR3-1600 C9

PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand Platinum 1200W

GPU: ASUS Strix GTX 970's (2x)

SSD: Samsung Evo 256GB (2x) -RAID 0

CPU Waterblock: Thermaltake Pacific W2

GPU Waterblock: Thermaltake Pacific ASUS Strix GPU Block (2x)

Radiator: Thermaltake Pacific RL 280 (2x)

Pump/Res: Thermaltake Pacific PT40-D5 w/ Mod Kit

Fans: Riing 140mm White (7x) - LED modded Orange

Coolant: Mayhems Aurora 2 (Custom Orange/Red)

Tubing: Thermaltake Pacific PETG 16mm

Fittings: (Chrome)

Thermaltake Pacific G 1/4 PETG 16mm (9x)

Thermaltake Pacific G 1/4 Stop Plug (8x)

Thermaltake Pacific G 1/4 90 Degree (1x)

The Build

First had to take a look at the chassis, see what options I had available and to be honest, I had a lot of them. I started off by stripping the case apart, I had big plans for the chassis frame and for this I had to remove every piece of plastic from it.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

I then had a good friend help me locate a Chromer that could do this kind of detail work as well as the time it takes for something like this. About 1 month later, I received back my freshly chromed Core V71 Frame and the project took off from there!

10.jpg

While I was waiting for the frame to come back from Chrome, I had some ideas to show off the Dual SSD's I planned to install on the backpanel side and decided to go with a dimple die effect using a 1.5 in die with .25 in roll on it, here is the results.

9.jpg

Putting the 2 latest mods together to see what it looks like:

13.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

11.jpg

Moving on to the PSU, it would get a proper treatment of paint I had planed, so VOID Warranty actions must take place!

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

Then I had to prep and clean all the other parts for paint:

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

Now for the fun part which was to lay the 3 stage HoC Candy Tangerine Paint throughout the system. I have been working alongside my best friend for over 15+ years painting/fabricating tons of parts for friends, his mentoring is how I can do what I can do today, CJ you are the best Buddy!

Here is the sample from House of Colors Site: Candy Tangerine

__.jpg

We laid down a Gamma Gold Base, then applied the candy on top and then cleared, here is the results:

40.jpg

45.jpg

50.jpg

55.jpg

60.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

70.jpg

75.jpg

80.jpg

85.jpg

90.jpg

91.jpg

92.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

98.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

105.jpg

106.jpg

115.jpg

120.jpg

125.jpg

130.jpg

Now I got a chance to put some of the major pieces back on the case to get an idea of what the paint and chrome would look like and start the process of wet sanding and polishing:

135.jpg

140.jpg

145.jpg

146.jpg

150.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

Moving on to the LED modifications I needed to make, I did not have a Orange Riing fan at the time, so I modified the Riing 140mm Fans with Orange LEDs as well as changing out the LEDs on my Tt eSPORTS Ventus X mouse that I just received, love the feel..

164.jpg

165.jpg

166.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

173.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

180.jpg

181.jpg

Now we move on to sleeving the PSU, for this I created a "BOSS" pattern, (Black/Orange/Silver/Silver) for the pattern on all the cables. I have not done this before, this was a first for me and I did go with paracord as I just liked the feel it had working with it better and it was much more cost effective. After separating the cables, I had to make pin-outs for all the connections and along the way my thumb did take some damage, I was told this was going to happen...

190.jpg

195.jpg

200.jpg

205.jpg

210.jpg

215.jpg

220.jpg

225.jpg

230.jpg

231.jpg

232.jpg

233.jpg

236.jpg

237.jpg

239.jpg

Now we move to the radiators, I wanted to do more than just paint, so I decided to strip the paint off to the bar metal and sand/polish the rads until they came to a nice shine. Many hours of sanding was done, and about 1.5hrs on the polish wheel for each rad.

250.jpg

255.jpg

260.jpg

265.jpg

270.jpg

275.jpg

280.jpg

285.jpg

290.jpg

295.jpg

300.jpg

305.jpg

310.jpg

315.jpg

320.jpg

325.jpg

Next weekend I was getting the system ready for mock up and I had to make some adjustments before I could, mainly the top radiator. I wanted to house the top rad in the upper compartment, but it was only designed to fit fans only, well after some though on it, I was able to cut a section out of the top part of the frame so the radiator would sit flush and mount properly as well as notch the top cover to accommodate the height needed for the radiator to allow the cover to sit all the way down. Then after that was done, a rough polish was completed as this would be the last time only the frame would be exposed.

336.jpg

340.jpg

345.jpg

337.jpg

338.jpg

348.jpg

349.jpg

350.jpg

330.jpg

335.jpg

Now we look at the motherboard, see how it fits in and start putting some parts back together to get them ready for install:

355.jpg

360.jpg

365.jpg

370.jpg

375.jpg

380.jpg

385.jpg

390.jpg

405.jpg

410.jpg

415.jpg

BIG shout out to Hassan @V1 Tech for the laser etching work on the PT-40-D5 for this build:

395.jpg

400.jpg

Now I wanted to do some panels, but not cover the entire inside as I wanted to keep the detail, so I looked into acrylic mirror panels that I could cut and fit for the bottom and back side of the case. This was a big part of the infinity look that I wanted once the loop was installed.

420.jpg

425.jpg

430.jpg

435.jpg

Moving onto the Pacific LCS parts, I install the W2 CPU block, get the rads mounted with fans, GPU block install and adding some fresh sleeved cables into the chassis.

When looking for parts, sometimes you find some interesting "signs"..

440.jpg

445.jpg

450.jpg

455.jpg

460.jpg

465.jpg

470.jpg

475.jpg

476.jpg

477.jpg

480.jpg

Here are some night shots:

481.jpg

482.jpg

483.jpg

484.jpg

SSD install and GPU blocks get added:

485.jpg

490.jpg

495.jpg

500.jpg

505.jpg

510.jpg

515.jpg

520.jpg

525.jpg

530.jpg

Here is where I try bending PETG tubing for the first time. I have had plenty of experience with soft tube for personal and work related builds. I want to first determine how I wanted the flow to work out, I wrote out a directional sketch on paper and decided to go from Pump > Rad > GPUs > Rad > CPU > Res. This way the components would have rads between their cooling and I figured it was the best case scenario to take. I installed each piece having on a couple issues with some more of the multiple bend pieces, learned a lot and I think I am going PETG tube on everything forward. Once all the pieces got installed, I start the first fill, no leaks!

535.jpg

540.jpg

545.jpg

550.jpg

555.jpg

560.jpg

565.jpg

570.jpg

575.jpg

580.jpg

585.jpg

590.jpg

595.jpg

Here is an idea of what the infinity look is ending up like now with the mirrors exposed.

600.jpg

I also got to install some more power cables to the GPU and others. I had to wait to install them so I could measure and modify the cables to fit.

601.jpg

602.jpg

603.jpg

Some low light shots which I benched :D

620.jpg

625.jpg

630.jpg

635.jpg

640.jpg

Here is the system after leak test before I took it in to bench, still have the plastic on the window...

645.jpg

650.jpg

655.jpg

More to Come!!!

I wasn't too keen on the early shots, but damn, this build is looking incredible, especially those radiators

Thanks! I hope to have my LED kit next week and try to get booth time to paint the rest of the accessory pieces like my SLI bridge and CPU WB light plate.

I hope they turn out just as good as the other parts have.

Amazing build! Congratulations

CPU: i5 2500k@4.2 MBO: Asrock P67 Extreme4 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti 1GB RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600 SSD: Samsung 840 Basic 250 HDD: Samsung F3 1TB + WD 2TB Green + WD MyBook 1TB external; ODD: LG BD/DVDRW; PSU: Corsair TX 650
Case: Fractal Define R3 Black Pearl; Mouse/Keyboard Logitech Performance MX + Wireless K800; Monitor: Dell U2311H 

• 2 months later...

Now that all the tube work was complete and leak tested, I took some time to finish up the wiring for the system and add in the custom BS Mods LED RGB lighting kit that was sent my way for the build.

IMG_5228.jpg

IMG_5229.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

Some wire management and clean up the cables.

IMG_5231.jpg

IMG_5237.jpg

IMG_5242.jpg

IMG_5243.jpg

IMG_5246.jpg

I love to paint and the right color is very important to me. To get a good color mixture of the Mayhems Aurora 2 Silver, I was looking to match the candy tangerine just right with a mix of Orange and Red dyes to get a nice colored coolant to complement the candy paint job.

Mayhems helped out for the project with a series of dyes and coolants.

665.jpg

670.jpg

675.jpg

IMG_5957.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg

Looks to me like this color will do, we will get it added into the system and I will have final photos with the coolant soon.

IMG_5959.jpg

A while back I found some vintage “Sunkist” bottles online, so I picked one up and filled/capped it off with some freshly squeezed Mayhems Aurora 2 Tangerine Red.

715.jpg

For the last touches I wanted to make sure I thanked my sponsors for their support. I had the logos all traced out on my wife’s machine “which I never used before lol” and cut out the logos on some black vinyl to apply to the chassis side window.

IMG_5965.jpg

IMG_5966.jpg

IMG_5967.jpg

Here is how it came out on the window :D

IMG_6027_1.jpg