8 Core Opteron Folding Rig

Judahnator

I built myself a rig to fold with until i find a better use for it. Here are some pics:

The MOBO box. I love the way SuperMicro does what they do

SuperMicro Box

Here is the MOBO with the CPU installed

CPU Installed

With the heat-sink installed

Heatsink and fan

The magical sign that everything is working

Splash Screen

Here are some pics of it installed in the case

Installed in the case

another view

Look at front

Its not in my rack yet, but i took a pic of where it will go. You will just have to use your imagination

Final Resting Place

And here is a pic of HFM.net for how well its folding. Im having problems with SMP, so its not getting much. (its Opteron1 or something like that)

HFM.net

I will add GPU's and another CPU later. But this is what i have for now

------------ EDIT ----------

@TheCafman98 did a great job rendering a Time Lapse video of the build, if anyone wants to watch it.

I know didnt do a good job of staying withen the camera's range, i had to print manuals and grab a monitor and stuff. But here it is if anyone cares to watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg_46Z4lTyY&feature=youtu.be

Edited by Judahnator

~Judah

Cool! Planning on expanding to a second cpu sometime?

Yes, i will add another CPU as soon as the money comes in.

And with all those PCI-E slots, im thinking about grabbing 5 or so GT640's and folding with those too. But i need the money first...

~Judah

stupid question but what is a folding rig? links to useful info about it or anouther thread. i wanna know so i can enjoy this build log abit more :D

NICE! Try getting 2 i7 Xeons and a few titans or 780s :O

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

I want this, anything now a day can blow my rig out of the water : (

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

why not 4P Opteron 6300 ?

I work for minimum wage. Believe me, i wanted to build something to rival @Whaler_99, but the money simply wasnt there.

Maybe in the future though

~Judah

Nice job - and certainly the way the start. Build something that you can grown into, and then leapfrog from there.

If you are running Ubuntu, ensure you check out the [H]ard forum links I posted in my 4P build log for some optimizations...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Can somebody briefly explain "folding" to me please? 

Edited the post. My friend made a time-lapse video of the build, you may like it.

~Judah

Nice video! So, how much PPD you getting?

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

I7 xeons?!?!?!?

E7 xeons sorry :P

Main Rig: -FX8150 -32gb Kingston HyperX BLUE -120gb Kingston HyperX SSD -1TB WD Black -ASUS R9 270 DCUII OC -Corsair 300r -Full specs on Profile

Other Devices: -One Plus One 64gb Sandstone Black -Canon T5 -Moto G -Pebble Smartwatch -Nintendo 2DS -G27 Racing Wheel

#PlugYourStuff - 720penis - 1080penis - #KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #HashtagsAreALifestyle - CAR BOUGHT: 2010 Corolla

Nice video! So, how much PPD you getting?

Now that SMP is up and running, between 13-18k PPD depending on the WU. Cant wait to get another Opteron in there...

~Judah