Hi,

I have a 5820k and a 750ti, and I was seeing around 130k PPD from both of them (combined), but recently, my numbers have dropped and I'm only getting 30-60k PPD. I figured out that my GPU clock is stuck at 405mhz (at 100%), not my ~1400 oc. This is really slowing the whole process down. Here is a screenshot. 

post-140501-0-33020800-1438867414_thumb.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks! :)

Possibly an unstable OC? What happens when you return the settings to default?

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Possibly an unstable OC? What happens when you return the settings to default?

I reset the OC (It's always been stable, at least during Premeire Renders) and paused Folding. It clocked down to 135mhz and when I started it again, it went back to 405. It's like it's capped there. Here's another screenshot, with more graphs/charts.

post-140501-0-88858500-1438867933.png

post-140501-0-88858500-1438867933.png

I had a similar issue not so long ago.  And the only way I have been able to resolve is by re-installing the Nvidia drivers

I have similar issues after a driver crash, and if restarting does not fix it, a driver reinstall usually does.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

I had a similar issue not so long ago.  And the only way I have been able to resolve is by re-installing the Nvidia drivers

I have similar issues after a driver crash, and if restarting does not fix it, a driver reinstall usually does.

I've never actually uninstalled drivers before (lol), do I go to device manager and uninstall there. I did that and it still recognized my GPU and said the drivers were up to date. Do I uninstall Nvidia Control Panel and Gefore Experience too?

I restarted the drivers and it showed this for a second , but it reverted back to 405

post-140501-0-71566100-1438869949.png

post-140501-0-71566100-1438869949.png

I've never actually uninstalled drivers before (lol), do I go to device manager and uninstall there. I did that and it still recognized my GPU and said the drivers were up to date. Do I uninstall Nvidia Control Panel and Gefore Experience too?

Download the drivers from the nvidia website.

When you then run the download, check the "Do a clean installation" box.

This will uninstall your old drivers and then install the new ones.

Hope this helps! :)

Download the drivers from the nvidia website.

When you then run the download, check the "Do a clean installation" box.

This will uninstall your old drivers and then install the new ones.

Hope this helps! :)

Ok thanks, I had no idea. It's installing now (so much screen flashing tho)

@rhyseyness EDIT: This happened

post-140501-0-98417000-1438870224.png

post-140501-0-98417000-1438870224.png

Ok thanks, I had no idea. It's installing now (so much screen flashing tho)

@rhyseyness EDIT: This happened

attachicon.gifCapture.PNG

I had this issue when I last tried to install.

I had to end ALL nvidia related processes, then run the installer.

Basically go into task manager, and end all the processes which have "nvidia" in the name (I had about 7 running... which is probably why it wasn't working, lol)

Hope this works for you too.

Afterburner buggers up like that sometimes. look at GPUz

I had this issue when I last tried to install.

I had to end ALL nvidia related processes, then run the installer.

Basically go into task manager, and end all the processes which have "nvidia" in the name (I had about 7 running... which is probably why it wasn't working, lol)

Hope this works for you too.

OK, this is going to sound crazy but, I just re-installed my gpu and as you said, closed all of the processes (I also made sure that it was under video devices in devices manager, not other (it wouldn't work if it was in other) and installed. It seems to work now fine. Thanks a lot for your help.

Let me explain it for you (skip to last paragraph if you just want a "fix"):

This is a bug with the DRIVERS. It's not F@H, it's not MSI Afterbuner (or other OC software), it is THE DRIVERS. Here is what happens. When you launch an application that requires the card to boost higher than the idle state, but doesn't require as much power as a full boost, the card goes into an intermediate state. Even though the F@H software is still running, it runs at a lower priority of sorts (not exactly that, but kinda), and the driver only checks for other applications. It finds, say, a light game, and realizes that you don't need 1400mhz, it thinks a full boost would be a waste of energy.

So what it does? It boost the card to an intermediate state. The problem is..... when it does that (it shouldn't, btw), the driver get's stuck, for some reason. After entering, it loses it's ability to boost back into the higher power states. Why? Dunno. The fact is: driver is stuck at this point, and there's nothing you can do about it......... or is there? You don't need to actually REINSTALL the driver. You can do it, and it will solve it, but not because you reinstalled it. The real reason as to why it works it's because it reboots the driver. Needless to say, if you were to reboot the computer, it would reboot the driver as well, thus fixing the problem. Or, you could manually go the device manager, disable the GPU driver (screen will go dark for a while), and reenable it.

But that's a hassle to do everytime, so here's an easier and faster method. First, get GPU-Z, if you don't already have it. Open it, and find the button to extract the BIOS of the card. Just press it, and you are done! Really, you don't even need to save the actual file. When you request it to get the BIOS, it disables the driver for a little while, reads BIOS, and reenables the thing. Then, it asks you where you want to save it. Since it already did what you wanted  (driver reboot), you can just close the saving window, and you are done. Quickly and efficiently.

I wish this issue had been fixed by now, but hey, that's what we have to work with.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Let me explain it for you (skip to last paragraph if you just want a "fix"):

This is a bug with the DRIVERS. It's not F@H, it's not MSI Afterbuner (or other OC software), it is THE DRIVERS. Here is what happens. When you launch an application that requires the card to boost higher than the idle state, but doesn't require as much power as a full boost, the card goes into an intermediate state. Even though the F@H software is still running, it runs at a lower priority of sorts (not exactly that, but kinda), and the driver only checks for other applications. It finds, say, a light game, and realizes that you don't need 1400mhz, it thinks a full boost would be a waste of energy.

So what it does? It boost the card to an intermediate state. The problem is..... when it does that (it shouldn't, btw), the driver get's stuck, for some reason. After entering, it loses it's ability to boost back into the higher power states. Why? Dunno. The fact is: driver is stuck at this point, and there's nothing you can do about it......... or is there? You don't need to actually REINSTALL the driver. You can do it, and it will solve it, but not because you reinstalled it. The real reason as to why it works it's because it reboots the driver. Needless to say, if you were to reboot the computer, it would reboot the driver as well, thus fixing the problem. Or, you could manually go the device manager, disable the GPU driver (screen will go dark for a while), and reenable it.

But that's a hassle to do everytime, so here's an easier and faster method. First, get GPU-Z, if you don't already have it. Open it, and find the button to extract the BIOS of the card. Just press it, and you are done! Really, you don't even need to save the actual file. When you request it to get the BIOS, it disables the driver for a little while, reads BIOS, and reenables the thing. Then, it asks you where you want to save it. Since it already did what you wanted  (driver reboot), you can just close the saving window, and you are done. Quickly and efficiently.

I wish this issue had been fixed by now, but hey, that's what we have to work with.

I have an application which re-boots the driver. It's called restart(64,86).exe

You can download it here

(I literally use it all the time, it has no virus. I got it from work, so I don't know where to actually download it from online. I just used google drive to upload the files from my pc)

Thanks a lot for the explanation/solution though! This will help a lot of people.

;)

I have an application which re-boots the driver. It's called restart(64,86).exe

You can download it here

(I literally use it all the time, it has no virus. I got it from work, so I don't know where to actually download it from online. I just used google drive to upload the files from my pc)

Thanks a lot for the explanation/solution though! This will help a lot of people.

;)

That works too. I just use GPU-Z because it allows me to monitor the GPU sensors, and if I need to reboot, it's there.

But hey, suit yourself.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

That works too. I just use GPU-Z because it allows me to monitor the GPU sensors, and if I need to reboot, it's there.

But hey, suit yourself.

Yeah, I know. I'll probably download GPU-Z soon, just for temps/speeds. It's easier for me just to use my application to re-boot, instead of downloading the BIOS.

Its normally driver related issues, very rarely is it the actual hardware! Drivers or an unstable overclock normally 

'FrostNova' https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Samsterstorm/saved/WtBWGX :

CPU: Intel 4790k | MB: Asrock Z97 Extreme6 | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (+200, +250) | CASE: NZXT H440 (Black & Blue) | COOLER: Full EK 240mm CPU Loop | RAM: 16GB Hyper-X Fury (4x4GB @2133mhz) | STORAGE: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & Hyperx 120gb SSD | PSU: Corsair RM650 | SCREEN: Benq G2750 | LIGHTING: Deepcool RGB LED Kit | KEYBOARD: CM Devastator | MOUSE: Logitech G502 | HEADSET: Hyperx Clouds White 

Wait.. what are you doing with a 5820K and only a 750 ti? Did you upgrade the processor, or was that planned?