Free-Roaming VR Site open to Public

VR is one step closer to becoming a reality for everyone with the opening of a new VR experience in Melbourne Australia.

Gizmodo Article -  This is Zero Latency

Zero Latency Website

Promo Video

The system allows for 2 to 6 players to experience a fully co-op zombie-shooting campaign. Players are connected to a backpack PC which wirelessly communicates back to a central game server. Allowing all players to be walking around in 450 square meters of space.

Outside of the Vive I have not seen anything like this, and the Vive is currently limited in tracking only a small room. Even VArcade appears to be limited to room-scale tracking at this stage.

But full disclosure here as I do work for Zero Latency, the company behind this system. That being said this is extremely exciting for us to open up to the Public, and see what the reactions are from the tech community in general. 

Reaction to the VR Experience

I’m a virtual reality sceptic, and always have been, but I’m also willing to try new things. I’ve tried the Oculus Rift DK1 and DK2, as well as both iterations of the Samsung Gear VR, and I can safely and surely say that Zero Latency is the best and most captivating and immersive and present virtual reality experience that I have ever tried.

The Hardware

The gear that the guys at Zero Latency use is a mix of off-the-shelf hardware that has been adapted for the very specific purpose of portable virtual reality, and hand built, bespoke, customized circuitry and electronics

Haha Yes we did Mr SoaringChicken :)
Now who wants to see the LTT team come down to Aus and test it out?

• 2 weeks later...

A free roaming VR gaming center in Melbourne has been opened by Zero Latency with the aim to make the gaming experience more immersive. Free Roaming VR Gaming Center in Melbourne is basically a huge 4,300 square foot warehouse that has been transformed into a gaming center equipped with 129 PlayStation Eye cameras. Players will be given the Oculus Rift DK2 headsets to wear and a backpack containing an Alienware Alpha PC.

The Alienware will help in powering the Oculus Rift, and will be attached to various PlayStation Eye cameras. After wearing the gears the players can roam freely in the warehouse while playing what appears to be an FPS. The price to play in Free Roaming VR Gaming Center in Melbourne is nearly AUD$88 per person for an hour and 4-6 players can play at once.

OMG, I really want to play it....Just mindblowing

COOL AS FUCK

yes

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Take my money australia!

-insert shut up and take my money meme which i cant place on phone-

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Awesome!  :D

"You can´t spell SLAUGHTER without LAUGHTER!^^"

Arcades and playgrounds will now be filled with children walking around an empty space with Rifts and Toy Guns

Did we already forget about The Void or is that not a thing anymore?

VR is one step closer to becoming a reality [...]

I see what you did there.