best antivirus as of today

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials because its light and does everything I need it to.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I find that installing free AV software tends to create more problems than it solves.

Sarah Jessica Parker

I find that installing free AV software tends to create more problems than it solves.

how so?

Rig

Spoiler

CPU: 4770k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v | Mobo: ASUS z87 Sabertooth | Cooler: Corsair H110 | RAM: Vengeance 32GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz | GPU: GIGABYTE G1 GTX 1070 | Storage: Samsung 840 series 250GB SSD, Seagate 2TB SSHD, Seagate 4.25TB HDD | PSU: Corsair AX850 80+ gold modu | Case: Corsair 650d | Keyboard: Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Reds & a Leopold 210TP Numberpad Cherry MX Blues | Mouse: Logitech G502, DECHANIC desk mat | Monitor: 2x Dell IPS 23" S2340m & ASUS 144hz 24" VG248QE | Speakers: CA-3602a | Headset: Steelseries Syberia v2 Frost Blue OS: Win 10 Pro 

how so?

wow not sure I agree with that lol

Usually having no anti-virus regardless whether it's free or not would tend to create more problems

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I use Avast, and have Malwarebytes installed as a purely on demand scanner, and never had a problem.

Common sense is not a replacement for Anti-malware, just as Anti-malware is not a replacement to common sense.

Common sense is not a replacement for Anti-malware, just as Anti-malware is not a replacement to common sense.

Couldn't agree more mate :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Avast is the way to go, if you want free antivirus. Maybe you could also consider having free version of Malwarebytes for extra protection. If you are considering having paid software, F-secure Internet Security is good alternative for Macafee and Norton.

Intel i7 4770k | Corsair H100i | Asus Maximus VI Extreme | 16Gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866MHz | Asus GTX 780 SLI | Samsung 830 Pro 256GB + 6TB WD Red | Asus Xonar Phoebus | Corsair AX860i | Corsair 900D | Win 8 Pro 64-bit | 2 x Dell U2412M | Logitech G710+ | Logitech G602

i use windows defender becus it doesnt bitch about updates 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

Avast is the way to go, if you want free antivirus. Maybe you could also consider having free version of Malwarebytes for extra protection. If you are considering having paid software, F-secure Internet Security is good alternative for Macafee and Norton.

F-secure is horrible my parents had a don't go on dangerous sites (with viruses) filter and could not get on sites like NCIX (but it might have been improved since all those years ago) and it also had a password if i wanted to launch a game

Windows Defender built into Windows 8. Zero issues since I started using 8 back when the RTM was released.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

I use bitdefender, and it's a great antivirus except that it messes up video streaming (like youtube). I know the issue but fixing it is more difficult than I would have liked to think (it repairs itself every time I fix it). Their support is pretty good as well.

HTTP/2 203

Used AVG for 5, all good.

I hate AVG, so many computers come into the shop with AVG on them and they are almost always loaded with viruses. And the majority of the times its easier to get rid of the viruses than it is to uninstall AVG...

As your question is what is best, for me kaspersky pure 3.0

But then you said free, and newsflash, no free AV is perfect, and in fact, I've never gotten on well with any free AV.

No paid AV is perfect either.

For free I'd normally recommend Avast.

the only reason i dont use avast is because when i had it in the middle of a hardcore gaming session this would happen:

AVAST ANTIVIRUS HAS A NEW UPDATE!!!!!!

you can turn it off, the settings are slightly cryptic but you've said you CBF any way :S

Windows Defender...

for windows 8 yep, its Microsoft security essentials for any other OS

I just use Microsoft Security Essentials because its light and does everything I need it to.

yep so long as you have A LEGITIMATE version of windows(because if you don't MSE will run an activation update and screw with your pc) MSE is 100% adequate to deal with the day to day internet traps.

Microsoft Security Essentials, used for about 3 years and never caused me any trouble, next to that would probably have to be Avira

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

yep so long as you have A LEGITIMATE version of windows(because if you don't MSE will run an activation update and screw with your pc) MSE is 100% adequate to deal with the day to day internet traps.

haha, i hope you have the legitimate version of an software... 

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Everybody has their preferences when it comes to AVs, but a good start is to check some of the tests, like AV-Test and AV-Comparatives

http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/mayjun-2013/

http://www.av-comparatives.org/dynamic-tests/

These are both "real world" tests, meaning it's not a test where you have a tens of thousands of samples and you just scan them and line AVs up according to detection rate.

Last few months have showed that Avast! and Comodo are amongst the best AVs out there (and free ones).

But, it's all up to user to decide. Also, if someone is whining about AVs disturbing computer usage, just take a few minutes and check out the settings. Most things can be turned off easily.

Just my 2 cents (and a first post here :P)

Ive used Microsoft security Essentials for about 3 years on 5 different computers and i have had not one fault with it. There is probably better paid for stuff out there but when i can install it on an old P4 2.4ghz with 2 gig of ram running XP and it doesn't lag my computer i call that a winner.

I've been using MSE (microsoft security essentials) for over a year now and havn't had any issues!

I've also heard Avast was good but like @FireFox said, the popup issue might be annoying :p

I'm going to say... you. but as far as software goes, for free you cant go wrong with micro essentials. 

The best free anti-virus is very subjective, they are probably all good (apart from bloody McAfee and Norton).

I've used Avast for years and it has been good but I've heard good things from Microsoft Security Essentials and AVG but I've never used them so I can't really comment.

MSE is said to be shit ever since the release of Win 8...:(

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

I've been using MSE (microsoft security essentials) for over a year now and havn't had any issues!

I've also heard Avast was good but like @FireFox said, the popup issue might be annoying :P

Put Avast in gaming mode, no popups :)

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Normally avast, and Avira for older pc.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

Avast should go into Silent/Gaming mode automatically whenever a full screen application is running, check that you haven't accidentally turned it off in Settings>Silent/Gaming Mode>check 'Silent if full screen application is running' is ticked.  No more popups while in game or watching a video full screen.

I found the default times for update popups annoying (20 sec) so I changed it to 3 seconds which is much better.