best antivirus as of today

MSE is said to be shit ever since the release of Win 8... :(

Really, I've never used it so I didn't really know what to say about it

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Microsoft Security Essentials is what I use. It's not the greatest thing in the world, I'll admit that, but it's free and it scans pretty much everything that is downloaded the moment you download it, along with the standard antivirus protection.

Sophos Anti-virus. You can only get a multi-computer license, as it is oriented towards small buisness and enterprise usage.

YOUR BRAIN IS THE ONLY ANTI VIRUS YOU SHOULD USE

No, it isn't.

Well, those who say that common sense / brain is their AV, then good luck.

Nowadays it does not matter if you download stuff from unknown sources or just browser your everyday web. Threats are everywhere, and before you know it, your favorite news website gets you infected thru Flash player exploit (example). It's as simply as that, you do not need to click anywhere or install anything.

Yes, of course you can say that you keep your software up-to-date, but no software will ever be secure from 0-day exploits/vulnerabilities.

It's not that AV is mandatory, but some sort of security software should be in place in my opinion.

Well, those who say that common sense / brain is their AV, then good luck.

Nowadays it does not matter if you download stuff from unknown sources or just browser your everyday web. Threats are everywhere, and before you know it, your favorite news website gets you infected thru Flash player exploit (example). It's as simply as that, you do not need to click anywhere or install anything.

Yes, of course you can say that you keep your software up-to-date, but no software will ever be secure from 0-day exploits/vulnerabilities.

It's not that AV is mandatory, but some sort of security software should be in place in my opinion.

Then just use Microsoft Security Essentials. It doesn't install a bunch of stuff that you don't need, and it's in my opinion, the best AV software for being free.

The Syndicate

YOUR BRAIN IS THE ONLY ANTI VIRUS YOU SHOULD USE

Let's see how well your brain does as I sneak a batch file into your start up programs

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I saw a good review of some antivirus software, both free and paid, in an issue of PC & Tech Authority. Avast blocked 95-99% of day zero and known threats, on par with or better than some of the "best" paid antivirus programs out there. I'd recommend that

Use comodo correctly and you will be fine...

You still need common sense though.

I've been using avast antivirus and comodo firewall for years now and my pc is still running squeaky clean. cant recommend avast enough.

just dont put anti-virus on your PC. I have a friend who did that and is going on 3 years with no problems lol. He even disabled windows update. I think hes crazy, but hey it works for him!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

just dont put anti-virus on your PC. I have a friend who did that and is going on 3 years with no problems lol. He even disabled windows update. I think hes crazy, but hey it works for him!

Let him run a virus scan and MBAM and we'll see how many bank details have been phished from him.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 - Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 - XFX HD7870 CORE - 60 GB OCZ Agility 3 - 1 TB Western Digital Green - 1 TB Hitachi DeskStar

OCZ ModXstream 600W - 16 GB Corsair XMS3 - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus - Logitech G110 - Speedlink Kudos - Sennheiser HD 518

Steam The reason I am still alive Dark Theme

Let him run a virus scan and MBAM and we'll see how many bank details have been phished from him.

lol i doubt any, hes just a gaming teenager:P

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

McAfee .... anyone?! :P

Case: 650D CPU: i5 4670K GPU: GTX 770 Gaming @1306MHz Motherboard: MAXIMUS VI Hero PSU: AX760 CPU Cooler: H100i RAM: 8GB Vengeance Pro @1866MHz Storage: 840 250GB SSD / 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.14