Laptop Recommendations (Sub-1000$ Price Range)

rphlfjrd

I am not even sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this. I don't see a dedicated laptop section. Lol

Recently I had a thought of restoring one of my older laptops just for fun but now I don't really see it neccesary and might just be a waste of money. Need to replace heat sink and display, rocking an old Intel Core2 Quad Q9000 and ATI Radeon HD 4850x2. It's better to invest the money for a new laptop.

Any of you guys could recommend a laptop from the 500-1000$ price range? It would be used for college work, mostly the Adobe Creative Cloud suite since I am a multimedia student. I prefer it to be 13"-15" 1080p but if there are better deals then it would do. Also a discrete graphics card just for the extra horsepower in rendering (also for light gaming and possibly programming) would be nice. 8GB of RAM is minimum. I don't care about the storage as long as it has 2.5" drives, it's cheaper to provide your own than to let the oem upgrade it. It would be nice if I could easily carry it around as well.

I'm looking at the Acer Aspire V15 Nitro, but I've read somewhere that it faces thermal issues because of its thinness. Macbook Air is not an option because of the TN Panel. Also, are dedicated GPU worth it these days? Are integrated graphics powerful enough?

Thanks.

-snip-

IMO, integrated graphics are good enough for light gaming. On my mac, with intel iris pro graphics, I can still max out minecraft with light shaders, CS:GO, TF2, Robocraft, Tomb raider (Medium to high though). Anything more demanding than those titles, get an actual GPU.

IMO, integrated graphics are good enough for light gaming. On my mac, with intel iris pro graphics, I can still max out minecraft with light shaders, CS:GO, TF2, Robocraft, Tomb raider (Medium to high though). Anything more demanding than those titles, get an actual GPU.

Do you think the i5-5200U and HD Graphics 5500 of the XPS 13 good enough (especially for rendering). I'm looking for a laptop that could last me 4-5 years or until I graduate. I don't have that big of a budget to spend on a new laptop after 2 years. Thanks though!

Do you think the i5-5200U and HD Graphics 5500 of the XPS 13 good enough (especially for rendering). I'm looking for a laptop that could last me 4-5 years or until I graduate. I don't have that big of a budget to spend on a new laptop after 2 years. Thanks though!

For rendering, idk how intel graphics will handle. 

I am not even sure if this is the correct sub-forum for this. I don't see a dedicated laptop section. Lol

There's the "mobile devices" subforum.

And also is there a preferred place where you would want to shop for your laptop?

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

And also is there a preferred place where you would want to shop for your laptop?

None really as long as it can be bnew.

Check the lenovo y510p multimedia laptop

The Y510p is a little old. The Y50 is the successor to it.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap