UK Major Infrastructure Upgrade

SKY and TalkTalk are two major broadband providers in the UK. To get the advantage over the biggest broadband provider; BT,  Earlier this year they  decided to work together.

Starting in my home town of York, they are rolling out '1000Mb' connections by running fibre straight to the household and getting rid of the copper.

They have gone by the name UltraFibreOptic and rate speeds of up to 940Mb that have been tested so far

“Our preliminary discussions on financing such a scale roll-out have been positive, underscoring our confidence in the opportunity for building an economically viable, alternative and superior fibre infrastructure to that available today,”

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/may/14/talktalk-trial-york-internet-broadband

about time tbh in my town we only have fiber to the box and only got it like 3 years ago and i was paying for 75mb down and 20mb up but we only got 20mb down and 6mb up because half of our town is still using copper cables.

But ya know, you have to pay 500 euro's or pounds per month for such business internet.

BT already do it, its called FTTP and its silly expensive compared to FTTC which is what most UK fibre users have.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

TalkTalk broadband at the moment is shocking in my county and Surrey, I'm not unfortunate enough to have it, but a few of my friends are on a sweet, sweet 5Mbps, or if someone watches Netflix, it drops to sub 1Mbps.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

But ya know, you have to pay 500 euro's or pounds per month for such business internet.

Broadband is cheap over here, assuming your area is covered.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

I live a couple dozen miles from York.

Maybe I'll eventually get some decent internet here.

YOU HEAR ME, SKY?

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Broadband is cheap over here, assuming your area is covered.

I live in the netherlands, and we have very good internet over here. like top-3 or something.

Maximum subscription (? i dont speak english lol) is 600 euro's per month for 450 mb/s down and up. 75 down and up is more like 40 euro's.

I just wish they'd pull their fingers out of their collective arses and get half decent broadband out to rural areas.

I've a friend here in Ireland that still gets DSL and he's only 2 miles outside of my town where I get Fibre.

He pays €55 a month for 2Mb down 0.5 Up.

I pay €75 a month for TV, Phone, and 240Mb down 25mb Up. :/

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I live in the netherlands, and we have very good internet over here. like top-3 or something.

Maximum subscription (? i dont speak english lol) is 600 euro's per month for 450 mb/s down and up. 75 down and up is more like 40 euro's.

I can't speak on behalf of business speeds, but for £100 with my ISP, you get all the sports channels + all the others,152Mbps down, not sure on up, landline.

We pay £70 for 100Mbps, actual speed is 106Mbps down and 6 Mbps up? We only got it because they offered it as a free upgrade for being long time customers :)

We pay £70 for 100Mbps, actual speed is 106Mbps down and 6 Mbps up? We only got it because they offered it as a free upgrade for being long time customers :)

You with Virgin Media?

If you are here is a tip (Might work with other ISPs as well).

Contact them every few months and ask them if they have any deals available for existing customers.  I got told to do this by a virgin media tech. I was paying £80 for 100MB download 6MB Upload, 200+ Tv channels with Virgin HD box, and phone line, so I done what this tech suggested and now we get 160MB download 12MB upload, 200+ TV channels with a new Tivo box (can now record, pause etc...) and phone line all for £70 a month, not only did we manage to upgrade and get more we also got it cheaper than what we were paying.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

​I'll suggest it to the bill payer, sounds good though! Quite happy with what we have, but a little more never hurt ;)

Kinda sucks, i live in outer london and honestly the best i can get is 36down 10top for £12. Now that is cheap but my family agrees we would be fine paying more for better internet. Sadly no one has the ability to go faster here, not sure why

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I just wish they'd pull their fingers out of their collective arses and get half decent broadband out to rural areas.

Too much money for too little reward, move if your not happy, you complaining about this is like someone complaining there isn't a burger king in there rural town, at the end of the day there a business and need to make money to survive.

Yer Yer Herd this before 

Why are we not getting Fibre to the Home>?

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Yer Yer Herd this before 

Why are we not getting Fibre to the Home>?

Because as far as I know, it isn't actually possible at this point. Fibre can go from point A to point B really fast, but it can't branch without having a separate machine interpret the signals to do so. You would literally need a fibre to binary' converter, a switch, and  another 'binary to fibre' converter hanging from the power lines every 10 feet or so. The act of converting between the two mediums takes time and a ton of energy. Rolling this out would be stupid expensive and I'm pretty sure the latency from the constant conversions would more than negate the speed increase from the fibre lines. 

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

Too much money for too little reward, move if your not happy, you complaining about this is like someone complaining there isn't a burger king in there rural town, at the end of the day there a business and need to make money to survive.

Well it's government policy to get decent broadband out to rural areas, in the name of stimulating the economy, they just haven't done it yet. I don't even live that from from civilisation either, only about 15 miles from Bath (if only I had a few million quid for a nice Georgian town house), it's not like I'm in the middle of nowhere and yet I get 0.5 Mbps on a good day.

Moving is on my agenda, but more for a quicker commute than the internet.

Because as far as I know, it isn't actually possible at this point. Fibre can go from point A to point B really fast, but it can't branch without having a separate machine interpret the signals to do so. You would literally need a fibre to binary' converter, a switch, and  another 'binary to fibre' converter hanging from the power lines every 10 feet or so. The act of converting between the two mediums takes time and a ton of energy. Rolling this out would be stupid expensive and I'm pretty sure the latency from the constant conversions would more than negate the speed increase from the fibre lines. 

Care to explain Google Fibre>? and how it offers far greater speeds and low ping times >?

Also Why surely it's not a good idea to bottle neck in fibre which is already there with copper to houses>?

Mind you ISP's would most make people pay a lot and give the lowest speeds available eg 100mbps not say 1000 

IntelCorei54670k,Maximus VI Formula,Swift tech H220, 16gigs Corsair Dominator platinums, Asus DCUII GTX 780,1x256 840 evo, 1x 2TB Segate barracuda, Corsair AX 860, 

3 X Noctua NF-F12, 2x Noctua NF A-14, Ducky Shine 3 Blue Leds Blue switches, Razer Death Adder 2012, Corsair vengence 1400  

Can't wait to see what BT and Virgin call their Internet once they upgrade? 

Ultramegafirbeinternetopticness?

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

I left sky a couple months back, had their unlimited fibre package, 40 down, 5 up. The performance was sub par since everyone in our household connects to the network causing bandwidth to be hogged. Have since moved to Virgin with their 152 down and 20 up line. The connection is much more better, partly because I live in London. 

Care to explain Google Fibre>? and how it offers far greater speeds and low ping times >?

Also Why surely it's not a good idea to bottle neck in fibre which is already there with copper to houses>?

Mind you ISP's would most make people pay a lot and give the lowest speeds available eg 100mbps not say 1000 

I think you're misunderstanding. I'm not stating that fibre optic technology is impossible, I'm saying that SPLITTING a fibre optic connection with the frequency required for a 100% fibre optic network in a suburban area is pointless. There is no such thing as a fibre optic router, there are no computers capable of processing in the medium of 'light pulses'. In order for data to be routed it needs to be interpreted into digital/binary signals. The distance between two homes is way too short to justify fibre 'to home' connections. The 'last mile' of any internet capable network needs to be digital so the data can be routed properly. Google fibre makes use of a cutting edge fibre optic connections in the back bone of their network infrastructure, but I would find it very hard to believe that the fibre connections actually go directly to people's homes. If you've got some sort documentation from google stating otherwise, I'd love to read it, but I have yet to find anything implying that.

Ignis (Primary rig)
CPU
 i7-4770K                               Displays Dell U2312HM + 2x Asus VH236H
MB ASRock Z87M Extreme4      Keyboard Rosewill K85 RGB BR
RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB      Mouse Razer DeathAdder
GPU XFX RX 5700XT                    Headset V-Moda Crossfade LP2
PSU Lepa G1600
Case Corsair 350D
Cooling Corsair H90             
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS) + WD Blue 1TB

Server 01Alpha                                       Server 01Beta                            Chaos Box (Loaner Rig)                Router (pfSense)
CPU
 Xeon X5650                                      CPU 2x Xeon E5520                    CPU Xeon E3-1240V2                     CPU Xeon E3-1246V3
MB Asus P6T WS Pro                               MB EVGA SR-2                             MB ASRock H61MV-ITX                 MB ASRock H81 Pro BTC
RAM Kingston unbuffered ECC 24GB  RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB         RAM Random Ebay RAM 12GB    RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB
GPU XFX R5 220                                       GPU EVGA GTX 580 SC               GPU Gigabyte R9 295x2                GPU integrated
PSU Corsair CX430M                               PSU Corsair AX1200                   PSU Corsair GS700                         PSU Antec EA-380D
Case Norco RPC-450B 4U                      Case Rosewill  RSV-L4000C        Case Modified Bitfenix Prodigy   Case Norco RPC-250 2U
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S                        Cooling 2x CM Hyper 212 Evo  Cooling EVGA CLC 120mm           Cooling stock
Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)           Storage null                                 Storage PNY CS900 120GB (OS)  Storage Fujitsu 150GB HDD
               8x WD Red 1TB in Raid 6                                                                                WD Black 1TB    
               WD Green 2TB

TalkTalk broadband at the moment is shocking in my county and Surrey, I'm not unfortunate enough to have it, but a few of my friends are on a sweet, sweet 5Mbps, or if someone watches Netflix, it drops to sub 1Mbps.

1Mbps master race.

(talktalk user here :( )

While I'm happy with my connection at the moment. I would not complain if this was available in my area. If its cheaper than my current plan, I might end up switching...

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Lol you guys got it made. You should see how much internet costs in the US outside of the major cities...

50-100 USD a month and you'd be lucky to get 5/2 mbps service.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS