What will 12gb of vram do for me?

Zach's Tech Tips
Go to solution Solved by ace_cheaply,

Vram is used to store the textures of the game for quick loading when you are moving throughout the game "world."  More Vram allows you to set the textures to the highest qualities, while still having fast access to all the data without having large fps spikes and dips, assuming your gpu can process it all.  However, no games are using even the 6gb limits of the 980ti, so the other 6gb on the titan x is just overkill unless in a professional environment. 

He Linus community, I am in the need of a new graphics card. I have been looking at the 980ti and titan x, but there Fps results look extremely close in 4k. So I think I might go for the 980ti, but I don't understand what the 12gb of vram is doing for the Titan , what is vram even used for?

Thanks

Zach

Its when dragons have so much sex that the cpu cant handle it

12Gb of epeen. 

Gaming wise nothing much. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Bragging right and a slightly larger hole in your bank account

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

He Linus community, I am in the need of a new graphics card. I have been looking at the 980ti and titan x, but there Fps results look extremely close in 4k. So I think I might go for the 980ti, but I don't understand what the 12gb of vram is doing for the Titan , what is vram even used for?

Thanks

Zach

just grab a 980ti

askdjfasdf

12Gb of epeen. 

Gaming wise nothing much.

Yeh but was is the vram even used for?

980Ti for gaming, Titan X would be for big heckie epen's or maybe some hardcore content creation work?. 

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

Not for gaming.

That still doesn't tell me what it does!

very high res gaming (like stupid high, where the card would be sub 30 fps anyways).

There are probably workstation programs that can fill up 12gb of vram as well.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Vram is used to store the textures of the game for quick loading when you are moving throughout the game "world."  More Vram allows you to set the textures to the highest qualities, while still having fast access to all the data without having large fps spikes and dips, assuming your gpu can process it all.  However, no games are using even the 6gb limits of the 980ti, so the other 6gb on the titan x is just overkill unless in a professional environment. 

in gaming textures and other data are stored in vram, so the only time you will exceed the 6gb on the 980ti will be like 4k surround, where the textures are very large.

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

in gaming textures and other data are stored in vram, so the only time you will exceed the 6gb on the 980ti will be like 4k surround, where the textures are very large.

That's what I'm planning on, so I might be going with the Titan x

Jeez guys..obviously this dude wants to know what they're used for. Well, it's basically for professional work such as rendering models with extreme textures or what not. Like for rendering movie level CGI stuff. Or used in programs where GPU can accelerate process and such process require high VRAM.

What YOU need to know, is just get 980 ti and ignore Titan X. 

For people who are too goddamn rich