GWX.exe refuses to die

A friend of mine just bought a prebuilt PC (yeah, I know ...).  The shop reserved the Win10 upgrade, which he doesn't want.  (I can't blame him, but that's another story)

Tonight Win10 started downloading, so he stopped the download and got rid of the files.  I talked him through the cancellation of the reservation and how to uninstall KB3035583.  Even after removing the KB and rebooting the PC, he keeps seeing the Win10 logo in the notification area.  

How are you supposed to kill this GWX.exe thing?  All tutorials I've seen so far prove ineffective.    Would I be able to stop it from starting up somehow or can I just delete the .exe itself without causing massive problems?  Either way, it needs to die.

Just rename the folder the .exe is in... No harm.

Isn't the file in System32? Renaming that would be a fairly bad idea.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

A friend of mine just bought a prebuilt PC (yeah, I know ...).  They reserved the Win10 upgrade, which he doesn't want.  (I can't blame him, but that's another story)

Tonight Win10 started downloading, so he stopped the download and got rid of the files.  I talked him through the cancellation of the reservation and how to uninstall KB3035583.  Even after removing the KB and rebooting the PC, he keeps seeing the Win10 logo in the notification area.  

How are you supposed to kill this GWX.exe thing?  All tutorials I've seen so far prove ineffective.    Would I be able to stop it from starting up somehow or can I just delete the .exe itself without causing massive problems?  Either way, it needs to die.

Might as well upgrade...

CPU: Intel i7 4770k w/Noctua NH-D15, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97 Ultra Durable, RAM: Patriot 8Gb 1600Mhz (2x4Gb), GPU: MSI R9 390x Gaming,

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 1Tb, HDD: Caviar Black 1Tb, Seagate 4Tb Hybrid, Case: Fractal Design Define R4, PSU: Antec Earthwatts 750w 

Phone: LG G2 32Gb Black (Verizon) Laptop: Fujitsu Lifebook E754 w/ 1TB Samsung 840 Evo SSD Vehicle: 2012 Nissan Xterra named Rocky

Isn't the file in System32? Renaming that would be a fairly bad idea.

It's in a folder inside system32, so not a bad idea.

I don't have access to his actual PC and don't want to mess up my own Win7 install. 

I guess I'll make a Win7 VM, get the update myself and test it that way. Guess I'll make it a Dutch one, after all I'm pretty sure I'll need to do this more often in the near future.  Probably some rollbacks too if the troubleshooting section here is anything to go by.

I really don't want to take any chances with this guy because he's not too tech-savvy and if I get it wrong I have to go there to fix it, which would cost me an entire day.  I can't afford that right now, too busy with work.