Microsoft has released a troubleshooting package to hide and block Windows 10 updates

AlexGoesHigh

After Microsoft decide to force mandatories updates into all the version of Windows 10 (expect the all mighty enterprise) many have voiced their concerns about the chances of one update breaking the installation, be it, system updates or drivers, well they haven't backtracked on that but at least they made the troubleshooting process much much easier in case a bogus update kills or glitches the system.

That is why they have released a tool to hide and block updates for Windows 10, so you can uninstall the update the old fashion way and block it with this tool to not bother you again afterwards, it works with both system and drivers updates (i'm sure @GoodBytes is very thankful for the later, well almost everyone i should say) and stops WU from downloading them again or never if it hasn't already.

H7jGZMB.jpg

You can obtain the goods here as well as instructions on how to use it

Source: Neowin

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Good.

Now we just need them to bring back beautiful aero...

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

No solution imo, they need to remove forced 3rd party updates/drivers completely. 

I dont get why they just dont make updates automatically install like they plan now, but also allow techies to easily disable them like in win 7/8.

That way the old people have their secure PCs and you aren't screwing over the techies.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I dont get why they just dont make updates automatically install like they plan now, but also allow techies to easily disable them like in win 7/8.

That way the old people have their secure PCs and you aren't screwing over the techies.

I said the exact same thing.

I also called this, that they would realize "oh wait, this is a bad idea" and change their stance on it and allow people to turn automatic updates off. They should just keep it exactly the same as w7, but set it to be automatically on and you just have to turn it off. That would make more sense.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I said the exact same thing.

I also called this, that they would realize "oh wait, this is a bad idea" and change their stance on it and allow people to turn automatic updates off. They should just keep it exactly the same as w7, but set it to be automatically on and you just have to turn it off. That would make more sense.

Make it a suggestion on the windows forum thing?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Make it a suggestion on the windows forum thing?

I'm sure someone already has, which is why they are doing it this way.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I'm sure someone already has, which is why they are doing it this way.

by someone I assume it's hundreds of users

Well thank you ms...

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

So this will block all updates? Only the ones that show on the list but haven't been applied? My fucking god why must everything about this fucking windows version should be stupidly confusing as all fucking shit? It's free! if you own a previous copy....for a year...well no, forever but you can only get the upgrade the first year...because reasons...also Free for pirates! Only not really....well yes they can upgrade it's just still not activated....so pretty much the same as before...only not?

Man fuck this stupid version. Just give us a simple TURN MOTHERFUCKING UPGRADES OFF button, it's not so fucking hard to code.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Well, I hope I can disable the driver update that fucks up SLI configs right after the update with this. I really don't feel like fiddling with settings for hours just because windows thinks it needs to install 2 separate drivers.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

So this will block all updates? Only the ones that show on the list but haven't been applied? My fucking god why must everything about this fucking windows version should be stupidly confusing as all fucking shit? It's free! if you own a previous copy....for a year...well no, forever but you can only get the upgrade the first year...because reasons...also Free for pirates! Only not really....well yes they can upgrade it's just still not activated....so pretty much the same as before...only not?

Man fuck this stupid version. Just give us a simple TURN MOTHERFUCKING UPGRADES OFF button, it's not so fucking hard to code.

this is why i think MS has the worst PR team out of all the big companies, they always leave more questions that answers

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

by someone I assume it's hundreds of users

Hundreds would not even be noticed on there, 1000's sure but I don't think enough people are going to put up a fight. 

Well, I hope I can disable the driver update that fucks up SLI configs right after the update with this. I really don't feel like fiddling with settings for hours just because windows thinks it needs to install 2 separate drivers.

Yet I was told, with a serious tone and all (so assuming no joke) this is the most thoroughly tested windows version ever

-------

Current Rig

-------

So if I understand this correctly, this will show you all the updates that are already installed, and it will allow you to uninstall and hide them? Kind of like an abortion pill.

Why not just restore the old Windows 7/8 update system? Remember, the only argument people have for forced updates is "people will go to great lengths to disable updates" and now Microsoft are giving them the tool to do it.

Yet I was told, with a serious tone and all (so assuming no joke) this is the most thoroughly tested windows version ever

Thoroughly tested, but Microsoft ignores like 2/3 of the feedback they get. Like with Metro, they have a clear goal in mind and will ignore feedback that goes against that goal.

Microsoft fires their qa team halfway through the development of windows 10.

"Windows 10 is the most tested version."

Sure...

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Sure...

That's the exact argument I made and I was told this has more testing than any previous version because of contrived yet technical and official sounding reasons!

-------

Current Rig

-------

Sure...

they fired a team of 3000 and replaced them with at least 10 times that by definition its seen more testers than any other version

they need to disable auto updates especially for drivers...i got stuck on a new nvidea driver that crashed and had some weird artifacting.....then it updated mid way through me working diasbled the other monitor i have and forced me to reboot.......piece of shit

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Testing is one thing, fixing is something else. 

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

That's the exact argument I made and I was told this has more testing than any previous version because of contrived yet technical and official sounding reasons!

Can you help me to understand which part of ~5 million real world users testing the OS and providing actual feedback over a period of many months you're not comprehending?

Actually, just spare me if you're too dense to understand that.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Can you help me to understand which part of ~5 million real world users testing the OS and providing actual feedback over a period of many months you're not comprehending?

Actually, just spare me if you're too dense to understand that.

Real world users can hardly ever provide the precise feedback that developers need to nail down an issue. The difference in quality of error reports we see from customers and our own QA department is quite large. It wouldn't surprise me if only 1% of those testers actually even gave feedback of any kind.

There is a difference between saying "there is a bug" and "there is a bug, and this is how it can be reproduced".

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

still not acceptable at all, cause reasons i think negatively of everything, what if they decide to install certain app update or soemthing how do i stop that? i will turn off cortana completely what if they patch it and then i cant anymore forced?

no thanks ill use the crappy win 8.1

one OS worse than the other really , they cant just simply nail it they have to annoy people

Real world users can hardly ever provide the precise feedback that developers need to nail down an issue. The difference in quality of error reports we see from customers and our own QA department is quite large. It wouldn't surprise me if only 1% of those testers actually even gave feedback of any kind.

There is a difference between saying "there is a bug" and "there is a bug, and this is how it can be reproduced".

That's why they have the tracking in place and automatic log/error reporting in the preview. All the technical details and steps are submitted without the user having to do anything.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit