Is everyone a video editor?

It seems that EVERY build request is some one looking to play games and "edit video"...
Is everyone a video editor or is that just an easy way of saying, "I might do work on it", I mean if they're not a video editor they seem to be a Graphic Designer and I'm yet to meet a fellow LTT designer in real life, there must be millions of them!

I guess with the ubiquity of YouTube maybe everyone is an editor? I can't be the only one seeing this trend? Maybe I'm just drawn to those build requests  :D

It seems that EVERY build request is some one looking to play games and "edit video"...

Is everyone a video editor or is that just an easy way of saying, "I might do work on it", I mean if they're not a video editor they seem to be a Graphic Designer and I'm yet to meet a fellow LTT designer in real life, there must be millions of them!

I guess with the ubiquity of YouTube maybe everyone is an editor? I can't be the only one seeing this trend? Maybe I'm just drawn to those build requests  :D

I legitimately do a  lot more video editing than most of them, but I wouldn't consider myself a video

edit

video editor 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Probably 2/3 builds are this, IDK if they actually are used or not but what does it matter. If they have a good build then it's a win win. I have a 4770K (4.4GHz) 16GB of RAM and a GTX 780 ( a little out dated but still pretty good) and use 95% of resources. I run autodesk/solidworks, VMs, 200+ tabs in Firefox, the only reason I use 95% is because windows starts to get too unresponsive for my taste past that.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

I've certainly noticed that too. I think it does just happen to be that everyone wants to make a few Youtube videos every now and then and see if they can get anywhere with it. I used to - but the last time I uploaded anything was nearly 3 years ago. I just gave up as it wasn't going anywhere, I wasn't any good and I couldn't be bothered.

Perhaps everyone else genuinely is a video editor or graphic designer and I'm the odd one out. But I doubt it.

I legitimately do a  lot more video editing than most of them, but I wouldn't consider myself a video

I, however, consider myself a video.

I think it's because they're like me and they like to try and make YouTube videos like me.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Because everyone wants to make dank MLG memes in Sone Vegetables! Duh.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

Hhehehe,Wow I just noticed that now 

personally I like editing videos as a hobby though I know it isn't going anywhere on youtube but why not 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

Hhehehe,Wow I just noticed that now 

personally I like editing videos as a hobby though I know it isn't going anywhere on youtube but why not 

If you enjoy it, keep it as a hobby. It might turn out to be good one day. If you want to make Youtube work, then don't just play around with stuff for fun, make a schedule, get ahead with content and try and make it good, rather than just fun for you. But then you might lose interest as it's not as fun in the long run. Unless you start making money and that spurs you on, I guess.

What do I know? As I said, I barely got anywhere with Youtube.

I sexually identify as an MKV file. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

I'm not...

(You can tell by the ballin' Phenom X4 CPU in my build)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I do a lot of work in After Effects but I never built my rig specifically for it, mainly because I use illustrator first and foremost, I just went for a all round solid rig. Seems odd the influx of users needing it to video edit but never saying which applications they'll be using  <_<

My pronouns are MP4, AVI, Mpeg2 and PNG Sequence!

I've certainly noticed that too. I think it does just happen to be that everyone wants to make a few Youtube videos every now and then and see if they can get anywhere with it. I used to - but the last time I uploaded anything was nearly 3 years ago. I just gave up as it wasn't going anywhere, I wasn't any good and I couldn't be bothered.

Perhaps everyone else genuinely is a video editor or graphic designer and I'm the odd one out. But I doubt it.

I seriously doubt you're the odd one out. You can get decently far on YouTube with a crappy laptop as I found out, I think maybe people are looking at the top 1% and seeing what they use and jumping straight to that? It's a grind! You need to network with people and pray to god search terms are in your favour!

We don't want you're container types round here!

I do a lot of work in After Effects but I never built my rig specifically for it, mainly because I use illustrator first and foremost, I just went for a all round solid rig. Seems odd the influx of users needing it to video edit but never saying which applications they'll be using  <_<

I'd have to agree. 

We don't want you're container types round here!

I am what I am and I'm open source about it 

muh specs 

All parts black

A. It could be an excuse for themselves to get a nice rig 

B. They could actually be legitimate video editor but we will never know

C. Its a hobby and they just have an itch to spend money on a hobby they may or may not actual do often...

I'ma gonna flip this whole thread around: every time you don't say video editing and you try to go for an i7 over an i5 people jump all over you. Still, in 2015. 

muh specs 

All parts black

MKV shitlord.

MKV shitlord.

oh, I'm sorry I support multiple audio and subtitle tracks in the same file. 

muh specs 

All parts black

I'ma gonna flip this whole thread around: every time you don't say video editing and you try to go for an i7 over an i5 people jump all over you. Still, in 2015. 

How dare you want hyper threading! What, is an i5 not good enough!? Are you freaking batshit insane?! My i5 comes within 5% of an i7 in heavily threaded workloads when over clocked to 5.9GHz @2.3555v, why would you spend the extra $100! /s

MKV shitlord.

Uncompressed AVI Master race. 290GB for 5 minutes of footage master race.

who here have a youtuber channel or is also a content creator? 

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

How dare you want hyper threading! What, is an i5 not good enough!? Are you freaking batshit insane?! My i5 comes within 5% of an i7 in heavily threaded workloads when over clocked to 5.9GHz @2.3555v, why would you spend the extra $100! /s

Uncompressed AVI Master race. 290GB for 5 minutes of footage master race.

The sad thing is the only reason mkv is in any way popular is some bootlegging but mainly anime subs/multi language files.

muh specs 

All parts black

No im not but i encode video. I suck at editing so I can only imagine what my first video is going to be like :P

I agree with that but then again you don't necessarily need an i7 to do video editing...I mean it would be nice and lovely to have an i7 but how many people who post here claiming they do video editing actually needs an absolute beast of a workstation to constantly pump out video? 

I edit about 2 videos a week with another every week during the summer. I wouldn't say I built my PC for editing, I just wanted i7 for AE since I was enjoying motion graphics at the time and the cost was not an issue. You can edit on a shitty laptop so I don't see why people NEED a powerful rig to edit with. i5 will do just fine

*Edit*

The third video a week is a paid wedding video, don't have them every week but most.

Edited by KirbyTech

I edit about 2 videos a week with another every week during the summer. I wouldn't say I built my PC for editing, I just wanted i7 for AE since I was enjoying motion graphics at the time and the cost was not an issue. You can edit on a shitty laptop so I don't see why people NEED a powerful rig to edit with. i5 will do just fine

shitty laptop with an SSD and a nice 2nd disk or external disk.

muh specs 

All parts black

-snip- i5 will do just fine

shitty laptop with an SSD and a nice 2nd disk or external disk.

You try animating 5/6k images in AE on a shitty laptop or even an i5, then come and tell me it'll be fine! I'm seriously considering jumping to X99 soon, if interest picks up in my artwork I'm gonna need more grunt  :blink: