Internet addiction?

MrDynamicMan

hello, my parents are flipping out about me supposedly having "internet addiction." I've read a number of articles concerning it, and I am exibiting not a single symptom. anyway, they now how it in their heads that i need to be limited to 1hour of total screentime a day. What are your thoughts on internet addiction?

Tell them they have a TV addiction

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

The thing people always seem to miss with the "talking online doesn't replace talking to real people" argument is that most people that argument would be applied to wouldn't be getting much social interaction in the first place.

It's not web communication in replacement of face-to-face communication, but in lieu of when it wouldn't happen anywhere.

Correlation, not causation. Introverts stick to more comfortable places like web chatting whereas without it they'd just avoid interaction altogether.

I somehow feel this is vaguely directed at me. I will respond with saying avoiding interaction entirely as quite a difficult feat. It's not a replacement, but when someone describes being on a computer as being social then that is my refute towards it.

I'm not even hypocritical either becuase I'm an introvert myself, but I've never ever considered myslef as being social for participating on a forum or talking with other like minded individuals over the internet.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I somehow feel this is vaguely directed at me. I will respond with saying avoiding interaction entirely as quite a difficult feat. It's not a replacement, but when someone describes being on a computer as being social then that is my refute towards it.

I'm not even hypocritical either becuase I'm an introvert myself, but I've never ever considered myslef as being social for participating on a forum or talking with other like minded individuals over the internet.

Not directly at you; it's just a very common argument. ^^

It's true that "I'm more social via the internet" is an abused idea, but for many it is their only outlet.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

You can become addicted to anything really the human body craves reward and upon rewarding yourself you release endorphins that make you feel good. Using the internet could cause that for you and your mind could then lust to feel the sensation over and over and thus causing an addiction.

That your parents cannot be limiting your screen time to 1 HR a day. That will fail you in high school and college...

yup. Exactly what I said.

- snip-

Reading articles about "Internet Addiction" is Internet Addiction.

No-one without an Internet Addiction would search up "Internet Addiction".

eh? I was searching it to disprove them.

- snip-

Umg.. I sit on the computer all day.. and My tech savy'nes lets me get away with it.. you are addicted to the internet.. but all of us camping on these forums are.. and video game's too.. if I was limited to 1 hour a day(or any limits at all) I would go insane, take my PC apart, and go do stupid things with computers o_o

I think 1 hour a day sucks tho.. sorry bro.. I SAY its crap :C Sorry :(

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

eh? I was searching it to disprove them.

Just tell your parents YOU ARE WRONG!!!

Tell them about your homework, and tell them what forums are and how you talk to people around the world and it makes you "More cultural"

Just try to overrate everything you do and how it is good.

Just say facts that have something that have nothing in common with computers. That's should help.

"Did you know that the Chevy SS is a Holden Commodore in Australia"

Just do something Quick, before you go insane!!!

Maybe even attempt cracking your neighbours WPA Wifi code.

you appear to have an internet addiction when you are more then 2h a day making use of it, guess what.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

My parents used to limit my screen time too.

They don't anymore.

Mainly because I did what I wanted anyways.

It's not a thing tbh. 

Addiction is needing it to survive. I can go without internet, but it's not the most fun because I can't talk to any of my friends on said net.

My IRL friend base is a total of 3. Online I have maybe 10 I talk to on a regular basis.

And @Salty <3

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I would be fucking stupid if I had a limit. I learned almost everything from the internet.

They don't anymore.

It's not a thing tbh. 

Addiction is needing it to survive. I can go without internet, but it's not the most fun because I can't talk to any of my friends on said net.

My IRL friend base is a total of 3. Online I have maybe 10 I talk to on a regular basis.

And @Salty <3

hello

They don't anymore.

It's not a thing tbh. 

And @Salty <3

Your Jigglypuff gives me AIDS

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Your Jigglypuff gives me AIDS

LEGGY JIGGLYPUFF

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

imagine taking advice from all the addicts from the goddamn freaking internet..

Details separate people.