Internet addiction?

MrDynamicMan

hello, my parents are flipping out about me supposedly having "internet addiction." I've read a number of articles concerning it, and I am exibiting not a single symptom. anyway, they now how it in their heads that i need to be limited to 1hour of total screentime a day. What are your thoughts on internet addiction?

- snip-

Internet is good.

It makes me more social (Social: adjective - Something that I didn't know I could be)

Internet is good.

It makes me more social (Social: adjective - Something that I didn't know I could be)

It is still no substitute for human interaction. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

That's why I do it in the library with people around.

Fair enough

Just saying though; you cannot compare Skype/Teamspeak/LTT to eye contact, conversing and gesticulating with another human being.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It is still no substitute for human interaction. 

isn't it? the only thing you are lacking is physical.

- snip-

Fair enough

Just saying though; you cannot compare Skype/Teamspeak/LTT to eye contact, conversing and gesticulating with another human being.

I know.

I have some friends (Some is an exaggeration) 

First time i have heard of this,i have heard about video game addiction before but never internet addiction. You can try to explain to them that the internet is just a part of people lives by now, it's a huge entertainment source but it is also a huge learning tools. I know that without the internet i will not know alot of useful information, it also save my ass alot when i need to write an essays or when i need to do research for a project. You can also use it to comunicate with your friend and family through skype,social media like facebook and twitter. The internet is very big part of human lives and sure there are negative effect if you are on the internet 24/7 so you need to learn to balance it out a bit. The internet is a great tool there are no reason to not use it.

Mainboard:ROG-STRIX-B360-G-GAMING/Cpu:I5 8400 /Gpu: Galax RTX 2070 /Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4/ Storage:1TB HDD 2 Corsair SSD PSU : Corsair 550W/Cooling: Silverstone Air Cooler/ / Case : Corsair/Keyboard:Razer Chroma TKL/Mouse:Mionix Castor+Steelseries Qck Mass/Headphone:V Moda M100 

Quote me if you when me to reply to something. 

Some say I spend a lot of time on my PC, but that's the only thing I can do in the summer apart from short bike rides and swimming :/

I live in a desert, so 30c+ temps everyday. I also live around 15 km out of town, which makes maintaining relationships of any kind a hassle. The winter is pretty much the same, but I can go snowboarding and spend more time doing schoolwork instead of using the internet, which is nice.

hello, my parents are flipping out about me supposedly having "internet addiction." I've read a number of articles concerning it, and I am exibiting not a single symptom. anyway, they now how it in their heads that i need to be limited to 1hour of total screentime a day. What are your thoughts on internet addiction?

That your parents cannot be limiting your screen time to 1 HR a day. That will fail you in high school and college...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

That your parents cannot be limiting your screen time to 1 HR a day. That will fail you in high school and college...

Very true.

ALL OF MY CLASSES AT SCHOOL REQUIRE MY LAPTOP.

How will you survive?

I know.

I have some friends (Some is an exaggeration) 

I've been deeply introverted my entire life, so I can relate. :) Sometimes you have to be vail and "just do it".

Very true.

ALL OF MY CLASSES AT SCHOOL REQUIRE MY LAPTOP.

How will you survive?

I wish my mom understood this too...

She insists that I can just go to the library and use their PCs (slow POS running Windows 7 on Pentium 4s or some shit like that) when she turns the router off every 5 seconds which is ridiculous. I can still get internet access on those and they'll be much slower so WTF does she gain...?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Reading articles about "Internet Addiction" is Internet Addiction.

No-one without an Internet Addiction would search up "Internet Addiction".

That's not a good way to address the "issue". Humans, by nature, want things they usually can't obtain. By severely limiting your online time like that, there's a good chance you're going to want more. If your parents are really worried that you might be spending too much time online, they should try to distract you by making you do chores, or enrolling you in extra-curricular activities.

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

I wish my mom understood this too...

She insists that I can just go to the library and use their PCs (slow POS running Windows 7 on Pentium 4s or some shit like that) when she turns the router off every 5 seconds which is ridiculous. I can still get internet access on those and they'll be much slower so WTF does she gain...?

I doubt the library will allow you to use their POS computers for LTT forums. 

In the very basic. Addiction overcomes your daily needs in my opinion, if you still have time to spare for studying, sports, and sometimes... hang out then you dont have addiction.

Internet Addiction is when you eat junk-foods, havent taken a shower in days, hadnt gone jogging or walking in days even too lazy to walk, its when internet IS YOUR LIFE. If you still have school then youre still balanced, if youre already on your own, then balance it with Work

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Fair enough

Gesticulating? That sounds hot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But in all seriousness, I couldn't agree more.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Scientifically speaking, "internet addiction" does not exist. They're being fed fear-mongering bullcrap that has no basis. They think kids should be outside all day instead of playiong on the computer.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Gesticulating? That sounds hot ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

But in all seriousness, I couldn't agree more.

Depends on what kind of moves you use. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

The thing people always seem to miss with the "talking online doesn't replace talking to real people" argument is that most people that argument would be applied to wouldn't be getting much social interaction in the first place.

It's not web communication in replacement of face-to-face communication, but in lieu of when it wouldn't happen anywhere.

Correlation, not causation. Introverts stick to more comfortable places like web chatting whereas without it they'd just avoid interaction altogether.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

my parents thought I was the same way where I was on the internet for way too much time during the day. Ended up proving them wrong by living with my dad for 3 months and I couldn't use the internet because of reasons. I could make the argument that I lost knowledge from this from my lack of googling random nonsense