OS Install issues on new build

Thunderr

The final component of my new pc came yesterday, and I put it together. After a relatively simple build process, I tried to install my os, and I ran into a bunch of issues, mainly that whenever I boot from a cd to install the os, my computer randomly restarts during the process, and I can never get a full install. I've tried Windows, Ubuntu, and Elementary OS (my first choice), but nothing will fully install. I almost installed windows several times, but it restarted before I could finish, and the linux distros baraly got past the initial menu. However, there are no restarts when in the bios, as it ran for at least four hours without rebooting. Also, it won't reboot when in grub. I have no idea what the problem is now, so  this point any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much guys.

Specs:
Intel i5-4590

Samsung 850 EVO 500gb

Gigabyte GA-B85N WIFI

Crucial Ballistix 2x4gb

Thermaltake W0116RU

Bitfenix Prodigy

Have you ran memtest? Doubt it would be that but you never know

It could also be power supply or motherboard

It could also be power supply or motherboard

Is there any way I could test that without just swapping the components out?

Google reliability on your parts, also you should be bale to monitor most things through your BIOS.

amnerd  B) Linux enthusiast. 

• CPU: Intel i5 4690k @3.5ghz  Motherboard: MSI U3 Plus Z97 GPU: Radeon R9 270x 2gb OC HDD: WD Green 3tb SDDs: Samsung 120gb, Kingston V300 120gb Case: Fractal Design Define R5 PSU: Corsair V650 Fans: Corsair AF14 x4 CPU cooler: Hyper 212 EVO (Upgrading soon)     

Remove one of the memory sticks if in a dual channel config, or replace ram if that is the issue.

What is more likely is that you have a faulty power supply or broken cpu/gpu, which is less likely.

Try to replug in the cables.

Also, try to see if your hard drive is plugged in correctly, because it sounds like it is not.

Is there any way I could test that without just swapping the components out?

Do it which ever way you see fit, here are many ways to diagnose components.

Try reading manuals too and fiddling around in the bios (the manual will help with that too you know)

Have you ran memtest? Doubt it would be that but you never know

e

Just ran 3 iterations of memtest, with no errors. The power supply is older and I got it used, so I think it's either that or the ssd. Forgot to mention that in the spec list, I have since added it.